74 FJ40 wiring questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

musthave

Doc says I'm 1 in 120K. Lucky?
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Working on my sons FJ40. Body off restoration.

Body is back on, motor in, making progress.

Have original harness. Intact, appears to be great condition. Have looked at several wiring diagrams. Purchased one from classic cars.

Now the questions 👍

First: Two wires, red black stripe and blue black stripe, first of wires to come out of harness just to the left of the glovebox.

Can't figure out what they're for unless it's the radio.

IMG_0193.jpeg

IMG_0192.jpeg

You should able to find a wiring diagram here.

I've seen that diagram, and have a huge poster print out of it. But I cannot find these two wires on it. I know Electrician though.

I've seen that diagram, and have a huge poster print out of it. But I cannot find these two wires on it. I know Electrician though.

what are the connectors ?

spade or bullets' ?

Blue is bullet. Red was cut.

Looking at the Haynes wiring diagram from the websight I referenced the red w/a blk stripe goes the the cigarette lighter/trouble light plug and blue/blk is radio. You should confirm by looking at the diagrams yourself.

Edit for correction: the above blue/blk wire is for frt and rear HI heater blower. All blue is for the radio.

Last edited:
I’ve got a 10/74. Looking for this Blu/blk one?
979238E0-0E62-4948-9D21-0E7E131EF522.jpeg

Edit: On mine it’s routed along tunnel and next to fuel tank.
81750292-7842-4D93-B353-9C841D7F4D20.jpeg

Maybe this helps?

After looking on my fsm 1975 fj40 diagram shows Blue/black is HI heater frt and rear. Solid Blue is radio.

Blue is bullet. Red was cut.

Each one may have a tracer stripe or be a solid Color code

You must-have be very specific here

This is now a pressing matter …😬

If red W/black tracer stripe = interior illumination all the time …

Generally any blue w/ black tracer stripe is a HVAC related out to a device going by memory only ?

Looking at the Haynes wiring diagram from the websight I referenced the red w/a blk stripe goes the the cigarette lighter/trouble light plug and blue/blk is radio. You should confirm by looking at the diagrams yourself.

Edit for correction: the above blue/blk wire is for frt and rear HI heater blower. All blue is for the radio.
If red W/black tracer stripe = interior illumination all the time …

Generally any blue w/ black tracer stripe is a HVAC related out to a device going by memory only ?
Blue with black will go to front and rear heater blower. So my dumb question of the day, where is that blower located? The only blower that I have is mounted on the engine base side of the passenger firewall. Is there another one?

From behind the dash, I have a small harness that goes into the engine bay. One black wire with a piece of additional insulation on it, it's separate the choir, and a yellow wire with green stripe. Looking at the diagram I can't figure out what these three wires would be. Any suggestions?

I suppose the yellow green is the water temperature sender.

Perhaps one of the black ones goes to the oil pressure sensor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom