73 FJ Steering ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 40 has alot of play in the steering, new rod ends are coming but was curious about the box, It doesn't have the standard nut with the screw in the middle for adjustment it has a bolt in the middle but its adjusted all the way down. It probably has been adjusted previously and is as far as it will go. My question is, Is there a tech article that shows how to do a rebuild on these? How hard are they to do and where can you pick up a kit?

I was told there is no kit for one-piece steering boxes

it's a pain to get the whole column out, but there are shims (large washers inside the box) that you can remove to adjust the play

Check for slack in the center arm as well. (rotates the pitman arm). It has a replaceable cone shim.

Chris

If you check the spec on the steering you'll be surprised to see how much freeplay there is supposed to be. I forget the actual number but it's more than an inch of movement of the steering wheel...I think it's 1.5" maybe even 2". I think this is to prevent or reduce the incidence of broken wrists when in heavy duty off-road stuff. The tie rod ends are seldom the problem if it is too loose. More than likely it's the center arm which can be rebuilt if need be or at least cleaned, greased and adjusted. Check Haynes or Toy manuals. The bolt on the box is not for adjusting the steering. It's to take freeplay out of the worm I think and while tightening the bolt will make it harder to turn the wheel it does nothing for the steering looseness.

I think your '73 is the later style and not the one piece shaft and worm. The gear (I always forget if it's the worm or the roller....the part on the shaft that the pitman arm attaches to) is available at Spector...very expensive. like $200-$300. If your steering is trashed best bet might be a used box from someone who has gone power.

Pete

Sorry for the dumb question but, where is the center arm?

The "center arm" doesn't really look like an arm but it connects the drag link (the rod that goes from the pitman arm on the steering box toward the front), the relay rod that connects to the passenger side front wheel and the steering dampener. Go to Spector Off-Road's on-line catalog (sor.com) and use it for a parts diagram. Do a search for center arm and you'll see a detailed diagram of it and do a search for steering for a detailed diagram of the whole system. There's even a little write-up on the center arm page about adjusting it.

HTH
Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom