72 FJ55 E-Brake Repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy folks!

My e-brake has never worked since I got the truck last year. I'm just now getting around to tearing it down since I have leak coming from the transfer case output seal. I've got the transfer case output seal replaced and speedie sleeve done which were pretty dang easy. Now comes the e-brake re assembly (rebuild kit, new shoes,springs,adjustment knob etc) which has been kicking my a$$ all day. I've got the FSM and found multiple threads on here which are helpful, I think the problem lies in the attached images. All the images I found of the parking break cable show it coming in from the driver side. Mine however is coming in from the passenger side? Either the PO rotated the backing plate to route it on the passenger side or I have some magical unicorn? Can I remove the parking break cable and rotate the backing plate so the cable runs along the driver side? The parking break lever also has a good little bend to it which I'm guessing should not be like that? Upon assembly the brake shoes are proving most difficult to align, could these two issues be my cause or is it operator error :)? I have the 1F motor with three speed transmission.

Thanks!
Tim

PB_Cable.jpg

PB_Lever.jpg

The cable on the 55 comes in on the opposite side from the 40; yours is normal. Just imagine the lever from the 40 pics you’ve seen mirrored and you should be all set.

Barring that, we have a special 55 forum called a registry. Maybe someone in there has a pic of the 55 assembly for you.

WAG your adjuster was too narrow for your shoes and you spent some ‘quality ‘ time custom grinding your shoes to fit in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom