70 series tow/haul capacities by series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so I just moved 1/2 a pallet of pavers and 68 bags of paver base/paver sand. About 4800lbs total load between my trailer and trunk. I was about 3" off the bumpstops out back (OME medium kit). Stopping and go were fine considering. I was uncomfortable about the load in the trailer. Trip was only a few miles down the road and I didn't go past 35mph.

Anyways does anyone know the actual ratings for tow capacity, tongue weight and haul capacity?

IMG_1325.JPG

Last edited:
Homemade 4-bolt 2" receiver tube. Grade 8 ss hardware. I'm concerned mostly of the load cap of the rear bumper section it's bolted to. I'm very impressed with how the truck handled the load. but the trailer was sweating g for sure.

Last edited:
In Europe towing capacity for the HD 7X's was 3500 kg or 7000#

Hitches there are bolted to the frame and not the bumper,load capacity for troopy and 75 pu was a 1000kg or one ton,yep more then my Ram 2500 ;)

Not sure if it is the same in Europe or Australia, but in the US there are generally two towing capacities, one for a trailer with brakes and one for a trailer without.

in my part of Europe allowed without brakes is normally 750kg.
my LJ 73 has a upper limit of 2000kg (that will be a trailer with a brake system). overall weight of the towing car+trailer max capacity is meant to be under 4250kg.

Although I think poor lt2 engine would die if I hook up a 2000kg trailer and go on any incline at speed. on flats slowly we moved 3000kg, no problem.

In Europe towing capacity for the HD 7X's was 3500 kg or 7000#

Hitches there are bolted to the frame and not the bumper,load capacity for troopy and 75 pu was a 1000kg or one ton,yep more then my Ram 2500 ;)

Bad choice of words, yes it's bolted to the rear frame cross member. It's a Japanese truck. I'm assuming the 400kg sticker references the tongue weight limit. I'm guessing it had about 500lbs on it but hard to tell

My 1985 hj75 has a tow capacity 750 kg no brakes and 2500 kg with trailer brakes.
Tare 2060 GVM 3035 and mass weight with truck and trailer 5500

Last edited:
Bad choice of words, yes it's bolted to the rear frame cross member. It's a Japanese truck. I'm assuming the 400kg sticker references the tongue weight limit. I'm guessing it had about 500lbs on it but hard to tell

It is my understanding that the 400kg sticker refers to cargo capacity of the vehicle. All the 70-series I have seen have a sticker like that, regardless of whether they have a hitch receiver.

Australia get full floating rear axles on our cruisers meaning we can carry more weight then the semi float axle you guys get stateside so take this into consideration when loading.

Australia get full floating rear axles on our cruisers meaning we can carry more weight then the semi float axle you guys get stateside so take this into consideration when loading.

My 77 Series has a full floating rear axle and I assume all 77 Series do also.

My hitch is mounted underneath and bolted to the frame. 2" ball. Where you have the hitch, I have pintle hook for hooking up chains and tow straps. Over the past 3 decades, I've towed over-loaded U-Hauls across Canada and the USA. At home on the farm I pull up shrubs, fence posts, and tree stumps. Stronger than tractor. Hard to imagine anything that would damage that hitch/frame on the Bj70.

My hitch is mounted underneath and bolted to the frame. 2" ball. Where you have the hitch, I have pintle hook for hooking up chains and tow straps. Over the past 3 decades, I've towed over-loaded U-Hauls across Canada and the USA. At home on the farm I pull up shrubs, fence posts, and tree stumps. Stronger than tractor. Hard to imagine anything that would damage that hitch/frame on the Bj70.
Mind sharing a picture of your hitch that's bolted to the frame?

image.jpeg
Mind sharing a picture of your hitch that's bolted to the frame?
My 77 Series hitch. I don't really have the dexterity to hold both the light and the camera but here goes. There are two bolts running vertically through the frame as we as two running horizontally.

I have a shank with a shackle and my ball mount. I've also got a pintle but I don't use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom