70-series Seatbelt Help (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A further note on belts in Toyota vehicles... they come with 11mm hardware. The captured nuts in all Toyotas I've dealt with (except old 40's) are 11mm. This is obviously an intentional design decision and in the floor of the Troopy it's quite helpful. The seatbelt captured nuts are different than the ones for the seats.

In my 1991 Troopy the old belts are secured with 11mm. The new stuff I ordered all came with 11mm bolts pre-installed and held in place with washers.

A sample of the Toyota 11mm hardware is shown below. To the left of the 11mm stuff is a 10mm fine thread and to the right is a 12mm. For reference.
MUD_11mmhardware.jpg

A little bit more that may be helpful to someone down the line. All the new seatbelt kit came with this handy little manual... I've got a PDF as well, just shoot me a PM.

MUD_70seatbelts1.jpg

MUD_70seatbelts2.jpg

MUD_70seatbelts3.jpg

MUD_70seatbelts4.jpg

MUD_70seatbelts5.jpg

MUD_70seatbelts6.jpg

MUD_70seatbelts7.jpg

A bit more information for this thread...

On my 1991 FJ75, the built-in hole for the retractable seatbelts ended up matching perfectly with the black seatbelts I ordered. No modification to the sheet metal required (I know that @SNLC had to do some clearancing on his PZ77 build).

179retractorhole.jpg

180retractorin.jpg

I used 12mm hardware to secure the retractor assembly.

Last edited:
A bit more information for this thread...

On my 1991 FJ75, the built-in whole for the retractable seatbelts ended up matching perfectly with the black seatbelts I ordered. No modification to the sheet metal required (I know that @SNLC had to do some clearancing on his PZ77 build).

179retractorhole.jpg

180retractorin.jpg

I used 12mm hardware to secure the retractor assembly.

This is good intel. Solid Joel.
The changes to seatbelt mounting was subtle.

I too purchased black versions available in the US market with HS-7 release via parts analysts.

I had to modify the tab same way that Ian did.

Do you know if these would work for a 75 series troopy? I know its a long shot but mine are shot.

Edit: Who or where did you order the black ones from?

My Troopy is a 75 series... and I managed to put these in with little fuss.
What pre-existing captured nuts do you have for seatbelts? I'm assuming you're talking about the front seats, right?

They retract

You're already one step ahead of where I was in that dept. then.
Yeah, take measurements and see how it compares to the measurements I posted above.

Also, in terms of sourcing the belts...
I went through my local dealership here in Phoenix who has a discount for our Land Cruiser club. I had to provide my HS-7 important document, but he was able to make it happen.

Wow, they needed that to order the parts? I tried looking on partsouq and those sites but the stalks are out of stock.

You're already one step ahead of where I was in that dept. then.
Yeah, take measurements and see how it compares to the measurements I posted above.

Also, in terms of sourcing the belts...
I went through my local dealership here in Phoenix who has a discount for our Land Cruiser club. I had to provide my HS-7 important document, but he was able to make it happen.

Wow, they needed that to order the parts? I tried looking on partsouq and those sites but the stalks are out of stock.

It's a non-US market part... but available in the North American parts supply chain. BUT, to order it for domestic US delivery you have to provide the HS-7... which is one of the import forms I filled out to make my truck legit coming into the States.

I haven't got the truck back in the states yet, its stuck with me in Japan for a bit. And the dealerships here are difficult to work with. They will only order parts based off the vin.

These seatbelts are just from a 79 series correct? So they shouldn't be too hard to grey if the black ones are out of stock.

Measurements look the same, I should have moved the belts out of the way but close enough.
IMG_0556-1.JPG

I haven't got the truck back in the states yet, its stuck with me in Japan for a bit. And the dealerships here are difficult to work with. They will only order parts based off the vin.

These seatbelts are just from a 79 series correct? So they shouldn't be too hard to grey if the black ones are out of stock.

Measurements look the same, I should have moved the belts out of the way but close enough.
View attachment 2524214
The biggest thing is the center of the large hole at the bottom to the smaller hole/holes behind the belt that the tab fits into... but it appears VERY similar.

Hey @Bing173rd , Can confirm the seatbelts fit the 75 series troopy perfectly. But the receivers are hard to find. issue. Ive been searching for the black receivers for over a year now. They are never in stock on any website. Local US dealerships lis them as in-stock, but even after ordering you get a message that it isn't in stock.

If you find any please let me know.

Hey @Bing173rd , Can confirm the seatbelts fit the 75 series troopy perfectly. But the receivers are hard to find. issue. Ive been searching for the black receivers for over a year now. They are never in stock on any website. Local US dealerships lis them as in-stock, but even after ordering you get a message that it isn't in stock.

If you find any please let me know.

Have you tried the grey? They seem to be in stock on some of the parts sites? I am good with either grey or black

Found some grey ones just now on Megazip... But hate the color... Will keep trying for the black ones.

Have you guys checked out my build pages 43,47 and 49?

Yeah, this thread just matched up with the same type of truck so before dropping a few hundred bucks on seatbelts I figured it would be smart to make sure they work. Most likely I will getting the grey ones as the black ones seem difficult to acquire and to be honest as long as they are not brown I don't care much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom