70 Series military use (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Its seems like the govt goes out and buys what they want but then the military uses Landcruisers when the situation is hot. The Australian Army had the best of the Landrovers but they had to very heavily modified with Isuzu diesels ,chassis strengthening and beefier suspension and thats just the 4 wheel versions.

I can’t speak for the Aussies but it’s not beyond possibility that some “finance” or “contracting” dude barters a few goats for a few local vehicles. I saw commonly hi-ace, hilux, and cruisers. Basically anything capable enough to have a block party with a few friends.

what is the 4.2l diesel that is in the forces 70 series trucks ? good motor ? is it a take off of the 12ht ?

Its a 1HZ. It was an all new design in 1990 with an OHC and rotary injection pump. It regularly gets over 500000klms and sometimes 1000000klms. There was also a 5 cyl version 1PZ and there is a 4 cyl that shares design aspects with the 6 cyl. And there are also the 1HD T , 1HD FT and 1HD FTE turbo versions.
No relation to the 12HT, it was based on the 2H
They are designed for field servicing and are very easy to maintain. It is Toyota's most powerful non turbo diesel.

what is the 4.2l diesel that is in the forces 70 series trucks ? good motor ? is it a take off of the 12ht ?

This was an almost complete 1HZ I put into my FJ73

robs pics 001.jpg

Libyas new "Troopies" based on a Landcruiser 7* series. You can still see the Troppy lines, must be the fender flares.

Panthera_T6_4x4_light_armoured_vehicle_personnel_carrier_UAE_defense_industry_640_001.jpg

A lot of things.

Actual real demand.
Conforming to current US motor vehicle regulations.
Overall production capacity.
Suitability for the market (IE offering something that would only appeal to one or two percent of the population).

This is only the tip of the market iceberg.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is preventing Toyota from selling the 70 Series in North America?

Cramped cab, manual gearbox, small cargo area. People who want them probably cant afford them. Those that can afford them dont want one.

Better than my answer....:)

Excuse my ignorance, but what is preventing Toyota from selling the 70 Series in North America?

I think it is because Toyota makes and sells the Tacoma in the US market, which is more profitable for them than importing an ARACO-built 70 Series.

In a nutshell, outside of a relatively small group of enthusiast there is no customer base for the vehicle.

Here are some 70 series built for US Special Ops. Note the custom upgrades on hood scoop, wheels, center console with comms and hidden ignition switch. Love to have one....

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Doubt they are used for special ops. Gov service or contracting; probably but they aren’t CMR. If they were they wouldn’t be parked in front of a ziebarts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom