70 series 1fz-f Carburettor to Injection Conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thanks for all the great info on this forum.

I recently purchased a 1995 70 series in Ecuador. It's a 2 door swb with a 1fz-f 4500cc engine.

It has a carburettor and I'd like to convert it to an injection system. I believe rest of the engine is identical.

I have a few questions.

1) Does anyone have a list of the parts I'd need to acquire?
2) Does anyone in the US or South America have the complete set for sale.
3) Is it a good idea to do the conversion. I think it will be more reliable (the carb seems to be quite sensitive to altitude changes) and quite alot more powerful.
4) Any other general advice on doing the conversion. I'll be doing it myself.

I’ve been thinking about the same on my truck. I don’t know all the the parts you need but I do know that it’s more than just the efi system. With the price and availability of good running 80 series engines coming out of parted trucks, I’m thinking it will be easier and likely cheaper to just swap in a 1fz-fe than convert a 1fz-f to efi. Just my .02. Eager to hear other, more knowledgeable and experienced thoughts on this.

Last edited:
It is SIGNIFICANT work to convert a carby to EFI. Think thousands and thousands of dollars.... going OEM.

You might be able to find a EFI kit a la 2F conversions that might work.

x2 on the aftermarket kit. It would be an enormous job to do a complete efi factory upgrade.

I believe the original efi parts are a direct bolt on. The engine seems quite basic to me and because all the US 80 series 1fz's were efi, parts should be plentiful and not too expensive. It's just a matter of getting the full list

Definetly involved, but very nice if you can accomplish it. There are 80's in the salvage yards up here... you just need to find someone that will take the time to get it all to you. Perhaps another mud member that is parting one?

If I had a carb'd 1FZ, I would look at hanging a row of Keihin CVK carbs down the side.

It is SIGNIFICANT work to convert a carby to EFI. Think thousands and thousands of dollars.... going OEM.

You might be able to find a EFI kit a la 2F conversions that might work.

Hello,

x2.

Engine block, inlet manifold and sensors are different between carburetor and EFI variants. Then you have injectors, wire harness, ECU, emissions computer and throttle control... The list goes on.

It might be possible to adapt a Throttle Body Injector (TBI) with sensors and ECU. You can source these from eBay for the 2F engine, complete with ECU and wire harness. I remember reading about such conversions in the 40 Series Section; one user converted a 2F using 3F-E parts.

Another possibility is a 1FZ-FE engine swap using a motor from a parts rig. In that case, you may need to adapt the wiring harness and ECU.

Juan

HI Guys,

HI Ecuacruiser did you get anywhere with your injection project? I too am in Ecuador with a 70 series 95. I am looking for salvage parts to convert my carbureted motor. Does anyone know of a salvage yard or contact. I was also considering getting another intake and just drilling it then getting an aftermarket system. Any words of advice?

thanks

There's a shop here in Colombia that does aftermarket conversions, I'd have to dig up the info, but they've done several. IIRC Mosley in the US might have some experience with it as well.

Thanks for all the great info on this forum.

I recently purchased a 1995 70 series in Ecuador. It's a 2 door swb with a 1fz-f 4500cc engine.

It has a carburettor and I'd like to convert it to an injection system. I believe rest of the engine is identical.

I have a few questions.

1) Does anyone have a list of the parts I'd need to acquire?
2) Does anyone in the US or South America have the complete set for sale.
3) Is it a good idea to do the conversion. I think it will be more reliable (the carb seems to be quite sensitive to altitude changes) and quite alot more powerful.
4) Any other general advice on doing the conversion. I'll be doing it myself.
Hi Ecuacruiser: I also live in Ecuador and have a 95 70 series 1fz. I am looking for the parts to do the upgrade. I have a mechanic who uses MegaSquirt system. I just need the intake with the injector holes of a 1fz-ef. Have you had any luck in your search??

I have made this modification several times, the cost is tremendous since it involves opening the engine to change pistons, the cylinder head is different and apart you need to make holes for the sensors, the most economical way that I have found is to use a stand alone ecu, and do a remaping, you will still need about 3k to do this

I used stand alone FT450 I found a inlet manifold with throtle body ( front a yunkyard 80) with inyectors .. and you will also need a new distributor or make a mod to install de phonic wheel. also you need a coilpack the 2grfe coils work well

Hi Ecuacruiser: I also live in Ecuador and have a 95 70 series 1fz. I am looking for the parts to do the upgrade. I have a mechanic who uses MegaSquirt system. I just need the intake with the injector holes of a 1fz-ef. Have you had any luck in your search??

Hello,

The 1FZ-F engine is different from the 1FZ-FE: block (not just the head) and manifolds, among other things.

There is some fabrication involved, especially with the throttle position sensor, for which the 1FZ-F engine has no provision.

MAF sensor configuration and other details also changed from early- to late-model 1FZ-FE engines. This means more fabrication, and less reliability.

You may want to use a Holley-type throttle body injector (TBI) with a standalone ECU for your conversion. There are some well-documented conversions, especially in the 40 Series Forum. No need to mess with sensors and stuff, and the same reliability, especially on cold days.

Check eBay or 'MUD vendors for options on Holley and similar TBIs.

Juan

the only thing that doesnt change is the engine block....

Thanks for the info. This helps a lot. Can a 1fz-ef intake, bolt on the head of the 1fz? Or Is the head completely different?

thanks

Thanks for the info. This helps a lot. Can a 1fz-ef intake, bolt on the head of the 1fz? Or Is the head completely different?

thanks

Hello,

Both manifolds (1FZ-F and 1FZ-FE) require six bolts and two nuts. However, the 1FZ-FE head is different -as is the block. It may or may not bolt on.

Intake bolt torque is the same for both engines, 21 N m.

Note that the 1FZ-F's head changed in late 1995. Mating the manifold to an older head may require additional work; adjusting the bolts to specification torque may need some extra work.

The 1FZ-FE's head did not change.

Do you intend to use the intake manifold only? Or do you plan to use the injector rail and injectors as well?

Juan

Hello,

Some part number information for your mechanic or parts guy.
  1. 1FZ-F engine block: 11400-66020, 11400-66030 with emission control equipment.
  2. 1FZ-FE engine block: 11400-66050.
  3. 1FZ-F cylinder head, 1993 to 1995: 11101-69095.
  4. 1FZ-F cylinder head, 1995 to 1997: 11101-69096.
  5. 1FZ-FE cylinder head: 11101-69155.
  6. 1FZ-F intake manifold: 17101-66010.
  7. 1FZ-FE intake manifold: 17111-66040.
  8. 1FZ-F manifold gasket: 17177-66020.
  9. 1FZ-FE manifold gasket: 17111-66040.
  10. 1FZ-FE intake air surge tank: 17109-66030.
  11. 1FZ-FE intake surge tank gasket: 17171-66020.
  12. 1FZ-FE throttle body: 22210-66070.
  13. 1FZ-FE injection rail: 23807-66030.
  14. 1FZ-FE injector: 23209-66010.
  15. 1FZ-FE position sensor: 90919-05041.
  16. 1FZ-F fuel filter: 23300-66020.
  17. 1FZ-FE fuel filter: 23300-66050.
The fuel injection system requires more parts. I just listed the basic ones.

Last but not least, the 1FZ-FE uses a pressurized fuel supply circuit, which is also different from the 1FZ-F's one.

Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom