After completing this trip recently https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/3-weeks-9-states-and-a-45-year-old-fj40-m416-combo.814678/#post-9314419 I've had several request to document the mods on my 69' FJ40 and 69' M416 trailer. There is a thread on Pirate from 2-3 years ago but if you don't visit...
Seats are in and fully mounted now. Cut out a chunk of 3/16” plate this morning, spaced out the mounts appropriately and burned them in. LOTS of clamps and a big chunk of angle to keep things flat while welding
Both inboard seat mounts will require a small gusset on the forward edge
Bent up some chunks of 1.5” DOM and made some hip guards. They also triangulate and reinforce the rear of the cage
Added two small 1” grab handles and called it a day
I will hop in here to talk about the radios we are using. We have a Kenwood TK-790H, VHF (for 2-meter Ham and also all of PCI's frequencies), and a Kenwood TK-890H, UHF. GMRS is in the UHF band but this radio is NOT FCC-certified for use in GMRS, so we won't be using it for that. These radios have a maximum output of 110 watts but can be easily programmed for 45 watts. We both have necessary licenses for the frequencies we will use.
Both of these radios are remote-head and we will be feeding both radios off one head, one at a time, which looks like this:
These radios are commercial radios, used in school buses, ambulances, police cars, etc., etc. You have to program them with exactly the frequencies you want to use--not a big deal.
We went with these over consumer-grade radios because we believe these are simpler to operate, more durable, more reliable and perform very well with good audio.
Kenwood offers smaller commercial options, contrasted here (TK-7360H, 50 watts maximum) on top of the TK-790H that we used. We went with the big ones so we could program them for 45 watts and just loaf them along, with the option for 110 watts if we felt it necessary.
Reinstalled all the inner/outer fenders and the grill. Getting ready to start cycling the front suspension and steering
Pulled the sad tailgate out of storage. It is seriously screwed and it looks like some drunken Private backed into all sorts of s***
These photos don’t really do the damage justice. The plan is cutting it apart in order to work some of the dents out and make it “flatish”. I’m going to have to fab all new hinges, the factory ones are too bent to hell to even consider making them work