60 De-Smog questions+Progress thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gonna get my De-Smogged fj back in working order for those pesky California smog laws... Unfortunate!

Does the catalytic have any sensors on it? I heard it has a temp sensor for some kind of fuel regulator in the carb but I don't know for sure. I'm a diesel guy so bear with me here...

So far I've gotten some fantastic resources from a few members on here, along with some suggestions for where to get parts. And if anyone within driving distance of Palo Alto has some smog stuff hit me up. I found a catalytic on ebay for super cheap and they claim it's untested. Should I risk it? The picture has what seems like a weird flange on it for a sensor or something, so I'm curious what that's for. As I go through the process of doing this project, I'll post my progress as time goes on for anyone else that needs to do this project for some stupid reason like smog. If the catalytic's lame, and they sniff my exhaust I'll just fail immediately so I'm cautious about this cat... Thanks guys sorry for rambling :D

Heat probe goes in that weird flange

I wonder where I packed mine..since i removed the whole thing

If you want to roll the dice, buy that old untested cat. But you gotta wonder where it came from and why it's not on the original vehicle. I wouldn't mess around w CA smog tests. If you're planning on staying in CA, you'll want a good cat.

A temperature probe inserts into the cat to tell the air injection system to turn off if the cat gets too hot. Not needed specifically for the smog test, but an important safety feature. Excessive long fast idling on a hot summer day after a highway drive can overheat the cat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom