6 pin voltage regulator wiring help (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi Matt,

That is the exact VR with corresponding wires and positions I had. Perhaps you can test yours and see if the results are repeatable and same as mine.

Test via pin location = fail where B and E show no resistance. Along with other 4 tests that showed

IG to F - 0 ohms PASS
L to E - 0 ohms PASS
B to E - 0 ohms FAIL
B to L - 0 ohms FAIL
N to E - infinity ohms FAIL

Test via color wire of white (Battery) and black (ground) and the resistance is infinity. Along with other 4 tests.

IG red to F green- 0 ohms PASS
L yelllow to E black - 0 ohms PASS
B white to E black- infinity ohms PASS
B white to L yellow- infinity ohms PASS
N blue to E black - 0 ohms FAIL (not 25)

The internals of my VR mirrored nearly exactly the attached picture. Going with assumption that wire color = function, then my wires were crossed at the harness. Swapping out the pin location to match the below photo appears to so far fix the issues I’m having...pending starting the motor and function testing the charge via alternator.

I have a new starter but was using my old one until it died to get more mileage out of it. May have got my last mile. I could use one of those studs...going to see if my hardware store has one.

520A9042-918D-4112-BDC1-7F5234FC140A.png

Last edited:
Pretty sure this is correct...

Red = Not used on any harness I have ever worked on
White wire = Splices to the large White/Blue wire that goes to the alternator B+ terminal
Green wire = Field terminal. Connect straight to the alternator F terminal
Yellow wire = IG Switched +12V. Connect to a key switched hot wire. This is the wire the voltage regulator uses to sense voltage levels.
Black wire = E (Ground). Connect this straight to the alternator E terminal
Blue wire = N Charge light. Connect this to the N terminal on the alternator. The other wire on the charge light will go to a +12V switched wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom