4th gear & under load, feels like the 2F's binding (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The remote starter will get you close, the final alignment (distributor) for me is putting the rig in 2nd or 3rd gear with the parking brake off on a hard level surface and simply rotating the front tire by hand (forward or reverse) until exact location is achieved. This has always worked for me.
The remote starer always shines when adjusting the valves as others have stated.

Timed up with the BB in the lower window and set the idle at 650 RPM. Took it for a drive and was happy for the most part, except for a little ping'ing. Took out the advance and set the BB just on the line. Now I'm happy for the whole part! :)

Let's just see how it does in the coming weeks....All in all, a :banana: job that I made into a :banana::banana::banana: job, due to my skill set! But I learned some valuable lessons along the way. :slap:

Last edited:
:clap::clap: Now your skill set and confidence level have both gone up the scale. Glad you got it done.

You probably noticed that several folks have had 2F distributor seating woes and that probably contributed to your anxiety about tackling the job. Now in retrospect having completed the task without running your engine dry you have to feel pretty good about it. TGFM! (thank god for mud) (insert god of choice here)

You probably noticed that several folks have had 2F distributor seating woes and that probably contributed to your anxiety about tackling the job. Now in retrospect having completed the task without running your engine dry you have to feel pretty good about it. TGFM! (thank god for mud) (insert god of choice here)

Hence my hesitation on the dizzy replacement, and why I procrastinated. It wasn't so much the procrastination as it was me gathering as much information before I started the process to feel confident in my means & method. Thus should any issues had arose, I would know how to handle it and keep moving forward. Teaching myself the ends and outs of these rigs, and minimizing the damage, physically and mentally!.......NOTED: There are some times when a BFH just isn't the right tool! ;)

Yes, TGFM! Amen Brother! :)

A follow-up:
Installing the electronic dizzy has helped. However, the rig seemed to still struggle to make power. It felt like the secondary may not have been opening. So I did the paper clip test on the secondary diaphragm, and there was no movement.

Last night I removed the carb and checked to see if the hammer was hitting the secondary pad to start the actuation. At WOT, it didn't really move the butterfly much. Also, it was a little hard to get the diaphragm to actuate. Being I had an extra secondary diaphragm from my '75 Aisan carb rebuild, I decided to replace the one that was on my '77 carb. When I opened up the diaphragm, there was trash on the vacuum side that could have plugged the hole. On the other side, many years of dirt. I cleaned it all up, installed the new diaphragm with spring, closed it back up and reinstalled the unit. Before I reinstalled the unit, I did blow out the secondary line with my compressor. I also adjusted the pad up a little to help start the Secondary's actuation process.

Now, time for a test drive.

I can bring closure to this thread.....As of 5/12/15, the original '77 2F that had the binding problem in this thread has been replaced with a rebuilt '86 2F. Considered, problem solved. :)

That's what I like, a simple inexpensive solution........:rolleyes:

:clap:

Your problem sounds like fuel starvation under heavy load, I would definitely replace the fuel filter and check the fuel pump.

Read the spark plugs too.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom