Events/Trails 4th Annual 200LCDC Event (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@ethernectar here's the GoPro video from Mineral Creek. The fun starts around 24:30.

Video is basically unedited. I'll get an edited (and higher res... not sure why Youtube saved this at 360x240) video of the recovery up once I get through the ~800 photos I took from my trip. Raw video is about 15GB - let me know if you want it and I'll post it somewhere

Video is basically unedited. I'll get an edited (and higher res... not sure why Youtube saved this at 360x240) video of the recovery up once I get through the ~800 photos I took from my trip. Raw video is about 15GB - let me know if you want it and I'll post it somewhere

YouTube will usually increase the resolution with time. Take a look at it again in 24 hours.

As for the fun at 24:30, yikes! Amazing how quickly and easily you can get in difficulty.

Yeah, that looks about like it felt when the front tire went off the edge.

The rear was on the edge of the road when you backed up and the shoulder was soft and just sunk under the weight of the cruiser. I don't know if you realized it had done that or not. I was reaching for the radio but you went forward before I could grab it and then the front did the same. That's when I was able to radio that you should stop and were "looking a little tippy". Nate called me the king of understatement for that quote.

The real recovery action is around the 1:01:00 mark, the rest is just us deciding the best course of action and getting set up. And my stupid Warn wireless winch remote failing me... damn glad I had the hard line in the recovery bag.

YouTube will usually increase the resolution with time. Take a look at it again in 24 hours.

As for the fun at 24:30, yikes! Amazing how quickly and easily you can get in difficulty.

Ah yes now it's available in all its 1080p glory. You can see how often I use youtube... :)

Ah yes now it's available in all its 1080p glory. You can see how often I use youtube... :)

The first time I uploaded a video (which took over an hour), it appeared at low res, so I deleted it to try again. Only afterwards did I find out that the initial low-res is normal. An hour and a half later...

@ethernectar here's the GoPro video from Mineral Creek. The fun starts around 24:30.

Glad to see there was video of what happened! Goes to show that even benign trails and sections of trail can quickly turn dangerous if you drop your guard or get distracted. Nice job on the safe recovery.

Glad to see there was video of what happened! Goes to show that even benign trails and sections of trail can quickly turn dangerous if you drop your guard or get distracted. Nice job on the safe recovery.
Yeah like this guy on Black Bear (from :18 - :24 seconds). Only takes a second...

The rear was on the edge of the road when you backed up and the shoulder was soft and just sunk under the weight of the cruiser. I don't know if you realized it had done that or not. I was reaching for the radio but you went forward before I could grab it and then the front did the same.

Yeah, we definitely felt it when the front gave out. I had just told Beth, this is a bad spot (or something like that). I've got a little write up that will be published sometime somewhere.

FrederickAfield_0818MCM_Diagram.jpg

Yeah, we definitely felt it when the front gave out. I had just told Beth, this is a bad spot (or something like that). I've got a little write up that will be published sometime somewhere.

Nice drawing. That's pretty much spot-on. From the photos it looks like there's a tree to your passenger side but I clearly remember that it was in front of the truck, as the drawing shows. At first I didn't understand why you backed up but then seeing the rock pile in the video and the way the lower (right) side was sloping I could imagine you wanted a line to the left which wouldn't risk sliding towards the edge.

You can definitely see around 1:02:30 in the video where both winches are spooling in and it finally starts dragging the truck literally sideways. I remember the Jeep guy saying "slacken your winch before you rip off his bumper". He didn't realize the receiver hitch is part of the frame.

Next LCDC... :hillbilly::steer:

My full set of pictures are uploading here: 200 Series Land Cruiser Destination Club, 2018 - Telluride - nedzel I've included a few highlights below.

Mineral Creek Road. Is this vapilotda?

DSC_9360-XL.jpg

We stopped for lunch at Lake Como, on the Poughkeepsie Gulch Trail:

DSC_9380-XL.jpg

Pennypacker in front. Is that vapilotda in the middle?

DSC_9386-XL.jpg

The crew lined up. I'm not sure if this is still Poughkeepsie Gulch or if this is Corkscrew Gulch.

DSC_9399-XL.jpg

DSC_9406-XL.jpg

Spectacular views.
DSC_9407-XL.jpg

More to come once they finish uploading.

Last edited:
A group of us went up Last Dollar Road for some training with the folks from Slee.

DSC_9426-XL.jpg

Storms come in quickly in the mountains:
DSC_9438-XL.jpg

Gathering on the morning of the last day:
DSC_9441-XL.jpg

Heading up Tomboy Road to Imogene Pass. You can see the Telluride Ski Area across the valley:

DSC_9458-XL.jpg

A

The abandoned Tomboy mine:
DSC_9463-XL.jpg

Cody led us up to Imogene Pass. It is simply spectacular:

DSC_9479-XL.jpg

DSC_9491-XL.jpg

Yup, I'm out of breath:
DSC_9495-XL.jpg

vapilotda, myself, and a couple other folks went up Ophir Pass. It was an easy trail, but narrow and scary in spots.

DSC_9516-XL.jpg

DSC_9528-XL.jpg

@laserturbo91 and me at the summit of Black Bear
upload_2018-8-23_17-38-31.png

@laserturbo91 on the steps
upload_2018-8-23_17-39-21.png

@laserturbo91 with the pic to frame
upload_2018-8-23_17-39-44.png

My 10 year old was too nervous to take photos in the rain/hail so all I've got of myself is shot after the steps, at least proving that I must've driven up the switchbacks and turned around :)
upload_2018-8-23_17-40-52.png

Time to air up
upload_2018-8-23_17-42-23.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom