40 will not warm up.. (1 Viewer)

Joined
Sep 27, 2003
Messages
894
Location
Berthoud Colorado
Greetings,
My 77 FJ40 will not warm up....barely moves off of the lower end.

Could the timming affect this ??

no machanical skills...rick
 

65swb45

Elder Statesman
Supporting Vendor
Joined
Apr 14, 2004
Messages
28,615
Location
818-953-9230
 
 
 
Don't trust the Toyota guage. Get an HVAC thermometer and put it between the fins of the radiator for an accurate reading.

Do you know if you have a thermostat in your t-stat housing?

You can try cutting a piece of cardboard and covering half of your radiator to see if the loss of airflow will make the guage read, but I wouldn't recommend that experiment until after you try Step 1 above.

Hth

Mark
 

nuclearlemon

not an addict
Moderator
Joined
Jan 30, 2003
Messages
16,394
Location
windy wyoming
 
 
 
wesintl said:
does the heater blow hot? or is it luke warm?

My 40 is on the cold end of lower bar with the frigid weather right now.
dang wes, dont' you drive that thing any distance? my 40 will burn me out...especially if i leave the engine fan off.

if the fan's on, i do have to turn it off every so often to keep warm air flowing...really need to get an engine temp sensor to hook the fan to.
 
Joined
Sep 12, 2004
Messages
841
Location
95570
I have an 82 degree t-stat in my BJ42 and I am now running the rad curtain about 1/2 down to get it to warm up--was not the case with the 88 degree tstat formerly in there.---even if you have a t-stat in there, an 82 degree one might not let it warm up enough in winter.
 

spotcruiser

Geezer
SILVER Star
Joined
Jan 30, 2003
Messages
3,812
Location
Western WA
 
 
 
Razor said:
Greetings,
My 77 FJ40 will not warm up....barely moves off of the lower end.

1. You may not have a thermostat.
2. You may not have an upper gasket on your thermostat. Perhaps not installed, but they can also blow out (been there).
3. Your thermostat may have failed (been there also). I had a nearly new OEM thermostat break in two, so that it was doing nothing.

All easy to check and fix.
 
Joined
Mar 14, 2003
Messages
4,506
Location
Between Here and There
 
 
 
nuclearlemon said:
dang wes, dont' you drive that thing any distance? my 40 will burn me out...especially if i leave the engine fan off.

if the fan's on, i do have to turn it off every so often to keep warm air flowing...really need to get an engine temp sensor to hook the fan to.
No I dont drive it very far, but far enough that it warms up.. The heater does get hot but the the guage doesn't read like it does when it's 90+ either.:)
 
Joined
Sep 27, 2003
Messages
894
Location
Berthoud Colorado
the heater blown luke warm...takes allot of wheelling to warm the thing up...

I messed with the timming a while back and seemed to have an issue ever since....hmmmm !!

I will try some of the recommendation above...thx.
 

nuclearlemon

not an addict
Moderator
Joined
Jan 30, 2003
Messages
16,394
Location
windy wyoming
 
 
 
wesintl said:
Oh.. hey ige it's on the second post not the C

C \ / H
...^me
sounds like you need to pull the heater core and get the crap off of it so air can circulate the warmth flowing through.
 
Joined
Mar 14, 2003
Messages
4,506
Location
Between Here and There
 
 
 
nuclearlemon said:
sounds like you need to pull the heater core and get the crap off of it so air can circulate the warmth flowing through.

Heater is hot... It'll actually heat me out of the truck on high...Which is pretty good for a 64 if you ask me.. I tend to think it's the guage but it's on my list to check out . I was replacing dryrotted bushings this weekend. Now that's a s h i t job :mad:
 
Joined
Sep 26, 2005
Messages
86
Location
JP, MA 02130
if the engine's idling, running properly, it's absolutely coming up to heat. can't help but. so it's the gauge, the sending unit, or the wires in between.

unless aliens abducted your thermostat.
 

brian

SILVER Star
Joined
Feb 7, 2003
Messages
10,605
Location
lebanon,pa
 
 
 
JP_FJ40 said:
if the engine's idling, running properly, it's absolutely coming up to heat. can't help but. so it's the gauge, the sending unit, or the wires in between.

unless aliens abducted your thermostat.

or the thremostat failed in the open postion.
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom