40 tank in a 45? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IIRC all early tanks are the same - I can do a comparison this weekend

Best to get a 70 or earlier. Some 71s and the 72 have emissions fittings do seal with. The fill neck is different on the 45 compared to the 40. 40s the neck 90 degrees and the 45 is only about 45 degrees. Would require custom routing to the fill neck on the tub.

The standing seam on the tanks will not clear the standing seam at the back of the cab.

I have discovered that I have a 40 tank in my '77 45. I don't know the year of the tank and I don't know about the seam issue, but I know it fits. As far as the filler goes, it looks like all they did was to rotate the fill neck on the body to better line up with the 40 fill neck. The rubber connection between the two is tight, but it works.

I don't have any pics now, but I can get some if anyone wants.

Thanks for the information, if you could snap a picture, that'd be great! I foolishly gave my mint condition tank away years ago along with tons more 45 unobtanium to a cruiserhead with a 40. Young and dumb.

i've got a 40 tank in my 65. pretty sure i just bent the lip, but it's been a long time since i've looked at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom