40 Series Snorkels for sale (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Awl_TEQ

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Building a new batch10/9/2013

Over the last few weeks I have been working on a prototype snorkel. I like the look of the Safari unit but it has a couple of drawbacks. Chief among them is they don't allow the windshield to be folded down. Mine does with one caveat, if you mount a pre-cleaner on my snorkel you will have to remove it to allow the windshield frame to pass by and then re-mount it. This is a relatively easy thing; 60 seconds with a flathead screwdriver. Mine is also made of 0.100" thick 5052 aluminum and powder coated in a black wrinkle finish. It has 3" OD inlet and outlet.

Here is a link to my build thread where I first started to build my custom one off snorkel as well as the prototype for the pictures below.....> LINK - start at post #395

How Much?
I will be asking $250.00 US for the body, drill template, bolts and wind shield hinge bracket.

I can supply the Donaldson "Top Spin" pre-cleaner unit as well but I do believe it can be purchased for less in the US from local dealers. My cost is $79.00. You could also buy just the ram air scoop from Safari.

As for under hood hose I can source a 3" flexible hose in a 6ft length for $45 (no markup).

Pre-order first run
I am starting the thread today with pictures of the first one I have made. I made only one as a prototype to take pictures of and work out any bugs in the manufacture and mounting of it. What I would like to do is get a few pre-orders with a small deposit and then do a production run. I hope to have sufficient interest to start production in two weeks. Once I start production it should take two to three weeks before they are ready to ship.

Which Side?
My left hand drive 83 BJ42 drive train has the stock air cleaner on the right hand side so I made this first snorkel for the right side. I do believe the 2F US spec drive train has the air cleaner on the left hand side. This is why you nearly always see the snorkel on the left in US trucks. I can make left or right side snorkels. Keep in mind the stock radio antenna may be in the way.

Air Flow
As for square, rectangular or round - I have made sure the cross sectional area of any given point in the snorkel body is bigger than the 3" round outlet. This should minimize any restriction caused by the body. Ultimately though, there is more restriction than the stock setup but this is the price one pays if you want to take your rig swimming (or just look really cool :D)

To reserve a spot on the pre-order list
Tell me what you want:
left or right side - $250.00
yes or no "Top Spin" pre-cleaner - $79.00
yes or no 6ft x 3" ID hose - $7.50/ft

I will take a $25.00 deposit for production to start on or about August 1st (subject to level of interest) Paypal is easiest to... ksteinhauer at telus.net (change the at to @ and remove the spaces ;))

Please ask any and all questions that you may have...

Some pictures...

Blind fasteners are water tight
P1010001.jpg
I'll give you a better drill template made of metal instead of one like this that I used
P1010003.jpg
The hinge mounting bracket mounts to the lower windscreen hinge rather than the top like Safari - this, along with the offset of my snorkel design, allows the windscreen to fold for that wind in your hair feel.
P1010009.jpg
P1010001.jpg
P1010003.jpg
P1010009.jpg

Last edited:
P1010028.jpg
The hinge mounting bracket will be powdercoated also - I just forgot to take it with me to the powder shop :eek:
P1010029.jpg

P1010022.jpg
P1010022.jpg
P1010028.jpg
P1010029.jpg

P1010026.jpg
This is a view from approximately the drivers eye - very little obstruction of view IMHO
P1010034.jpg
P1010026.jpg
P1010034.jpg

Almost forgot some pics showing the folding of the windscreen - these were from the prototype stage
P1010007.jpg

P1010006.jpg

P1010005.jpg
P1010006.jpg
P1010005.jpg
P1010007.jpg

I am tossed on whether I want RH or LH? but paypal sent just now! On my RHD BJ42 if I wanted RH side in your opinion will it cause an issue with blind spot while driving? If not then give me a RH side one (RH side on a LHD vehicle that is). Also, if I wanted in plain aluminum would there be a diff in price? I may want to get painted here in my factory 033 white.

Thanks, looking forward to it, but not looking so forward to cutting into my brand new paint job.

Rob

Last edited:
Roberto,

The Safari snorkel riser sits about 3" further forward than mine and as such I think it would block more vision than mine. They do this to miss the "pin" portion of the windscreen hinge. Mine can sit further back because I have angled it outboard to clear the windscreen frame when folded. Here is a picture from the "right seat eye view" - I put the camera up to my face and looked straight at the "A" pillar. Keep in mind I don't have my doors on. So the door frame would cover some of the snorkel that is visible on the right of this "A" pillar.

BTW - I got your deposit - Thank you!
P1010003.jpg
P1010003.jpg

Forgot to answer your other question.... you can have it in raw aluminum but I don't know the discount yet. I still have to get the final price from the powder coater. I snuck in the back door and convinced the shipper to let me have the parts :grinpimp:

Actually, they know me well. I speak to them everyday through work and write $8k-$10k in purchase orders a month to them. That doesn't mean I get it free though - just a decent price.:clap:

Payment received Rufus - thank you! - I'll send you that template PDF to that same address

I now have two paid and another who will pony up when he's back from I-rack in a couple weeks

Four in.... three paid :cheers:

going to start production in about a week :grinpimp:

nice, cant wait to install it, I will confirm that mine will be for a driver side snorkel on a RHD vehicle (side closest to 3b factory air filter), I already ordered my Donaldson 3" Topspin precleaner top last week from amsoil. Can you post pics of the flexible tubing and info on it? is it durable and going to last? also do you have anything as far as a rubber grommett/ boot for where the snorkel enters the apron to make nice snug fit? or ideas?

Thanks
Rob

I'll get some specs on the hose. I just called a supplier I use for rubber products locally and they carry a 3" dia vaccum hose that sounded good.

Bump

Any more??

Gonna start the run soon....:grinpimp:

bunp 1

Just recieved mine today and holy sh** it is stout and super nice. Very clean and sturdy. I also purchased the stainless BJ42 vacuum tank and as expected super nice. WIll try and install tomorrow and will post back pics.

Thanks Kevin, great craftmanship. If anyone is contemplating this, it is well worth the $$$, actually alot cheaper than the plastic safari types.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom