4 speed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have looked around the FAQ and tried to find out buy myself but I have not really found what I am looking for. I have a 72 fj40 with a chevy small block and the stock 3 speed I just traded for a 77 fj40 4 speed tranny I want to use my stock 3 speed transfer case and the 4 speed tranny what all do I need to buy and do I need to change the drive shafts and the transfer case crossmember?

^ either that or advanced Adapters has a kit for using the 3 speed xfer with the 4 speed tranny. The drive shafts will have to be replaced, yes. The rear crossmember is from your v-8 conversion and it will have to be moved back because the 4 speed is longer than the 3.

^ either that or advanced Adapters has a kit for using the 3 speed xfer with the 4 speed tranny. The drive shafts will have to be replaced, yes. The rear crossmember is from your v-8 conversion and it will have to be moved back because the 4 speed is longer than the 3.
Thanks

You will need to replace both drive shafts and move the shifter hole in your trans tunnel as well.

The top cover from a 60 series four speed would move the shifter back close to the factory location with a V8. Most V8s the shifter is to far forward and the shifter needs to be bent to avoid the heater.

Hi all,

Your rig will need a different bell housing in order to fit the Land Cruiser 4 speed transmission. Advance Adapters sells these.

Adapting the early 3 speed t-case is possible; it depends on which Land Cruiser 4 speed transmission you bought (early or later production.)

The existing drive shafts on you '72 FJ40 will be too long (rear) and too short (front) most likely with the Land Cruiser 4 speed transmission.

There is lots of info about this swap in the 40 Series FAQ - grab a beer and spend some quality time reading through there.

Good luck,

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom