4 Runna-mucc! 86 Runner Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
86 Toyota 4 Runner 22RE with 250k on the clock.

85 solid front axle.
Rears up front, but I think i'll have to find new springs. These look pretty flat....
Chevy 63's for the rear.
Trail Gear high steer
Longfield axles and hub gears
IFS hub bodies from the stock front end are going on the solid front axle with Asin hubs.
I also bought some bits and pieces from Trail Gear including their tie rod and drag links.

Plans are the usual dual cases with the 4.7 in the rear. Just like the Land Cruiser, everything will be built at home. Full cage with a canvas top for the summer days. Plate bumpers front and rear, sliders, etc... Tires are going to be 315/75/16 (35") MTR Kevlars.
154551_10150650084841300_62215016_n.jpg
149453_10150647962981300_1992567792_n.jpg
550964_10150832631691300_105915881_n.jpg

sweet lookin rigs!! always loved the 80s as well.

the 4runner looks like a clean start.
definitely subscribed.:popcorn:

are the trail gear high steer parts cast, or is that the picture that makes them look that way?
if so, you might want to get something machined from billet if you plan to really wheel this thing.

edit...you seem pretty knowledgeable about what you are gettin into, but i thought i might ask this question: the ifs hubs that you want to put on the 85 housing; are they the ones pictured in the side view of the 4runner above? i know its far away, but they dont look like traditional aisin hubs to me. they do not appear to have the red lock/unlock dial from that pic. or do you know for a fact that they are superwinch hubs or something, and you are gonna run them anyways.

Last edited:
I think he means the wheel hubs, not the locking hubs. Those lockouts you see in that profile photo are definitely Warns, they need to go into the trash.

Yes, the TG arms are cast, I had a pair in my hand yesterday.

Nice truck, seems kinda a shame to hack up such a nice specimen.

sweet lookin rigs!! always loved the 80s as well.

the 4runner looks like a clean start.
definitely subscribed.:popcorn:

are the trail gear high steer parts cast, or is that the picture that makes them look that way?
if so, you might want to get something machined from billet if you plan to really wheel this thing.

edit...you seem pretty knowledgeable about what you are gettin into, but i thought i might ask this question: the ifs hubs that you want to put on the 85 housing; are they the ones pictured in the side view of the 4runner above? i know its far away, but they dont look like traditional aisin hubs to me. they do not appear to have the red lock/unlock dial from that pic. or do you know for a fact that they are superwinch hubs or something, and you are gonna run them anyways.

Cool. Looking fwd to the build up.:) Front hubs look like they're Warn units.

I think he means the wheel hubs, not the locking hubs. Those lockouts you see in that profile photo are definitely Warns, they need to go into the trash.

Yes, the TG arms are cast, I had a pair in my hand yesterday.

Nice truck, seems kinda a shame to hack up such a nice specimen.

Thanks guys.

And yes, those are Warn hubs in the pictures. I have a set of Aisin hubs sitting in the garage ready to go on once the axle gets put together.

I plan on keeping this build clean, no shorcuts or ghetto fab work. I've never taken the quick and easy route on any of my rigs in the past. I think it will turn out pretty nice, I have a lot of ideas in my head.

Up and running now.

85 solid front axle with Cruiser rotors and the 4runner IFS hubs. Installed a Spartan locker in the front too.
IMG_0930.jpg
IMG_0958.jpg
IMG_0970.jpg

Prerunner style...

Interested in the LC rotor/ 4runner hub setup. Is this to widen without spacers? Do you use the mini truck calipers?

yeah major prerunner stance! I'm going to buy some new springs for the rear...

The front is sitting on used TG 5" springs with a 6" shackle. Looking at the angle of the shackle and height i'm going to try a 5" shackle and see how that goes. But for the rear I was thinking of the 5" Allpro springs. It says to go with 1" taller spring in the rear for the added weight. Not knowing ride height measurements I'm wodering If I should stick with the 5" or 6" springs.... I'd like to keep this thing lower if I could... So i'm leaning towards the 5" spring in the rear and a different shackle setup in the front like i said.

Opinions?

Last edited:
Prerunner style...

Interested in the LC rotor/ 4runner hub setup. Is this to widen without spacers? Do you use the mini truck calipers?

Yup, to widen without spacers. I'm running the 81-90 60 series rotors on the IFS hubs. All I did was buy new wheel studs since they run through the rotor and hub vs just the hub on the IFS hubs. Then its just a matter of doing a small bit of grinding to clear the rotor inside the caliper (about 1/16"). THen you mount the caliper on the opposite side of the knuckle mounting ears and it all fits together nicely. Easy way to get more width. I drilled out the knuckle threads so theyre the same size as the caliper. Used a 10.9 grade fine thread metric bolt and it should be stout. Lots of people running this setup for years.

I can help with part #'s if anyone is trying this mod.

Started to plate the front portion of the frame with some 3/16".

Once thats done I can start building the shock mounts. Ordered Marlin's knuckle gusset kit too.
http://www.marlincrawler.com/axle/front-axle-parts/front-axle-armor/heavy-duty-knuckle-gusset-kit

Decided I'm just going to go with the Bilstien 5125's.
I plan on building my own hoops, but I'm trying to decide on the 12 or 14" shocks. Using the chart on Marlins website, I could fit the 14's, (21 compressed vs 19 for the 12") but not sure if its necessary. I would have to cut the wheel well to get the height, which is no big deal. Depends on how much down travel I have, but I havent been able to flex the truck out.
I think i can make the 14s work, so thats what I'll probably go with.

Opinions?
IMG_1033.jpg
IMG_1035.jpg
IMG_1037.jpg

Looking good. What springs did you end up with all around. Rear is up and front looks down from original pics.

And I am interested in the front ifs hub conversion. I need to google it to see what I can find on it.

5" TG springs up front, 5" allpro's in the rear. I did have 63's but that was a mistake with the 5" up front. I like where it sits now...

The IFS conversion isn't hard at all. I can get you part numbers for all of it.

The IFS rigs have soooo much going for them to do a SAS, rock on dude!!

Nice fabin' too, you using a plasma to make the flat parts?

The IFS rigs have soooo much going for them to do a SAS, rock on dude!!

Nice fabin' too, you using a plasma to make the flat parts?

Thanks! Yup, cutting everything out with a Hypertherm Powermax45. So much nicer than the old days of cut off wheels.

No more chrome front end. Also built some sliders....

Hope to have shocks from TG this week.
IMG_1068.jpg
IMG_1064.jpg
IMG_1083.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom