3FE Owners Check-In (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After looking for an 80 series LC for some time, I finally picked one up yesterday. It's spent its entire life in Modesto, CA and the past 25 years among the same family. I'm going to have it looked over by a mechanic next week. Then plan to get an ARB front bumper, Old Man EMU lift, and looking at 35" tires with 17" wheels. Roof and tailgate paint is fading, so thinking of painting it a blue-grey, but not sure about that yet. Should be a fun project.

View attachment 2285375

I would take your stock wheels :)

im running 35’s with 4.88’s and she has no problem climbing good size hills. I’m planning on going 37’s soon
Nice! My OME 3” lift is coming next week. I might stick with my stock 31s until I switch to 4.88 and then get 35s. Hope it doesn’t look too bad. Part of the journey, I guess.

I would take your stock wheels :)
I’m ditching my stock wheels soon for anyone in NorCal FYI.

The 31s have treated me well but I need more clearance and look forward to more beefy appearance. The debate is ongoing b/w re-gearing t-case to 4:56 or all-in for 4:88s...kinda reverted on my plans to lock out my front hubs too. The all wheel drive is just damn good handling, on everything. Tire wear isn’t bad, responsiveness is great, and I never get stuck in stupid places and have to engage 4.

I’m ditching my stock wheels soon for anyone in NorCal FYI.

The 31s have treated me well but I need more clearance and look forward to more beefy appearance. The debate is ongoing b/w re-gearing t-case to 4:56 or all-in for 4:88s...kinda reverted on my plans to lock out my front hubs too. The all wheel drive is just damn good handling, on everything. Tire wear isn’t bad, responsiveness is great, and I never get stuck in stupid places and have to engage 4.
Thanks for the info. Do you mind posting a picture of your LC on 31s, especially if you’re lifted ~3”? Trying to get an idea of how mine will look.

I am at 2.5. Dobinsons variable in rear and OME stiff in front. De-flared.
795C6078-63C2-4AC8-BF40-459DE6128BD6.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, if you insist. Lol. I’ve actually had a few people who know my rig tell me 31s and the original look are cool and I shouldn’t change it up. I kind of agree, especially when I see 80’s in the movies, but...tall skinnies are in the works

I don’t really have any good straight on shots for ya, but here’s a couple cool ones. I am at 2.5. Dobinsons variable in rear and OME stiff in front. De-flared. View attachment 2289794View attachment 2289815View attachment 2289819
It looks really good. I don’t see many LCs in my area, and none that are built up, so I wasn’t sure. 👍🏼

What are people using for heavy duty sway bars front and rear on their 3FE 80s?

My searching has turned up one option -- a rear bar replacement from Whiteline. Anyone know if bars designed for the 93-97 80s will fit?

BTR46X_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Hi new to the 3FE.. wanted to get a land cruiser and well they’re getting harder to find so I picked up a 91 with a few mods but needs some maintenance which parts are on the way. EGR delete kit on its way. Oil leak kit from wits on its way as well. Going to get new cap and rotor.. basic tune up parts. Luckily this isn’t my daily as I have a 5th gen 4runner so I can have downtime on the LC. I just gotta remind myself in the long run it’s going to have a heart transplant.. see what my option are when that time comes.
Anyhow was looking under the vehicle and saw this sensor not hooked up on the driver side trans... best I could come up with is for the cruise control. Thanks 🤙🏾

32A011B4-B864-4435-BF8B-4A8D9D3E95E2.jpeg

Looking for a Y pipe for an exhaust system for a 92 LC. The previous owner “fixed” the exhaust system with only 1 cat and no O2 sensors. The Check engine lite has been on since day one. It’s time for a new exhaust system. The shop quoted me a price of $2200 for everything new from the manifold to the tail pipe including 2 cats and two O2 sensors. He can’t locate the Y pipe and would have to fabricate. Just wondering what others have done with running cats and O2 sensors. I’m getting 10-12 mpg now and wondering if the new cats and 02 sensors would make a difference. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

1992 3FE Checking in!

Currently located on Kauai, but plan on an adventure through Central/South America at one point.

Truck is running great and in overall wonderful condition! I bought her from the original owner and she was completely stock and well maintained. Odometer reads 76,420, but it stopped working at one point (it is fixed now). Below is the list of things I have done! Let me know if I left anything off I should be doing! I have not worked on a vehicle much and I did all the work myself which I was pretty happy about! Thank you everyone who has been soooo helpful!!!! I’ll add some videos in another post.

New Items and Replaced (OEM in most cases):
Tint
Prinsu Roofrac
Coolant Hoses
Both Fusible Links
All Vacuum Tubes
Seat Covers
Rear Struts
Air Filter and Oil
Radio and Speakers (just the 4 door speakers)
Plugs, Wires, Cap, Rotor
Flushed Radiator
Drain and Fill Transmission Fluid
Differential and Transfer Case Oil
EC Relay
Front Rotors and Pads (including a whole system flush and bleed)
Fuel Pulsation Damper
Fuel Pressure Regulator
Fuel Filter
Speedometer Cable (now I have working speed and odometer)
All Belts
Brake Booster
Idler Pulley
Tires
Wind Deflectors
Fancy Cup Holder

Other Projects:
Desmogged
Built Camping Platform
Installed Solar Including AC and DC Systems
Installed Solar Shower
Adjusted Valved, Timing and Idle
Rebuilt Power Steering Pump, Replaced Return Hose and High Pressure Hose and Flushed system
Rebuilt Birfs and Replaced Wheel Bearings
Removed Alarm
Fixed Side Mirrors
Installed Switch to Turn Off Open Door Light When Hatch is Open
Made Tailgate Storage

2020-05-06 15.26.25.jpg

2020-05-06 15.26.54.jpg

2020-05-06 15.27.36.jpg

2020-05-06 15.27.45.jpg

2020-05-06 16.19.06.jpg

1992 3FE Checking in!

Currently located on Kauai, but plan on an adventure through Central/South America at one point.

Truck is running great and in overall wonderful condition! I bought her from the original owner and she was completely stock and well maintained. Odometer reads 76,420, but it stopped working at one point (it is fixed now). Below is the list of things I have done! Let me know if I left anything off I should be doing! I have not worked on a vehicle much and I did all the work myself which I was pretty happy about! Thank you everyone who has been soooo helpful!!!! I’ll add some videos in another post.

New Items and Replaced (OEM in most cases):
Tint
Prinsu Roofrac
Coolant Hoses
Both Fusible Links
All Vacuum Tubes
Seat Covers
Rear Struts
Air Filter and Oil
Radio and Speakers (just the 4 door speakers)
Plugs, Wires, Cap, Rotor
Flushed Radiator
Drain and Fill Transmission Fluid
Differential and Transfer Case Oil
EC Relay
Front Rotors and Pads (including a whole system flush and bleed)
Fuel Pulsation Damper
Fuel Pressure Regulator
Fuel Filter
Speedometer Cable (now I have working speed and odometer)
All Belts
Brake Booster
Idler Pulley
Tires
Wind Deflectors
Fancy Cup Holder

Other Projects:
Desmogged
Built Camping Platform
Installed Solar Including AC and DC Systems
Installed Solar Shower
Adjusted Valved, Timing and Idle
Rebuilt Power Steering Pump, Replaced Return Hose and High Pressure Hose and Flushed system
Rebuilt Birfs and Replaced Wheel Bearings
Removed Alarm
Fixed Side Mirrors
Installed Switch to Turn Off Open Door Light When Hatch is Open
Made Tailgate Storage

View attachment 2298830
View attachment 2298833
View attachment 2298834
View attachment 2298835
View attachment 2298836
Looks great 👍🏼 I just bought a 92 that I’m going through too

'92 3FE owner as of a weeks ago. Been baselining, replacing leaky hoses, cleaning up the interior, etc. The smog system hoses are pretty dry rotted, and I can't seem to find any replacements anywhere so I'm in the great "desmog or not" debate. Emissions here would allow me to but I can't guarantee I won't end up in a state that has stricter emissions, and I don't want to be unable to take the truck with me.
From what I've read, desmogging sometimes helps with power, sometimes doesn't, sometimes helps fuel economy, sometimes doesn't... would a valve tune and timing adjustment have bigger payoff? Anyone have personal desmogging anecdotes?

'92 3FE owner as of a weeks ago. Been baselining, replacing leaky hoses, cleaning up the interior, etc. The smog system hoses are pretty dry rotted, and I can't seem to find any replacements anywhere so I'm in the great "desmog or not" debate. Emissions here would allow me to but I can't guarantee I won't end up in a state that has stricter emissions, and I don't want to be unable to take the truck with me.
From what I've read, desmogging sometimes helps with power, sometimes doesn't, sometimes helps fuel economy, sometimes doesn't... would a valve tune and timing adjustment have bigger payoff? Anyone have personal desmogging anecdotes?

Desmog removes a lot of clutter in the engine bay and gets rid of potential leaks since the hoses are plugged, but if yours is in tact you might as well try to just get it functional in case you need it down the line, like others said check out the BB thing in the meanwhile so it’s reversible. If you don’t think you have to worry about emissions I’d say 100% take all that crap out!

92 FJ80. Had it a little over a year. Sanded out all the rust and repainted original grey, but minus the lower red underbelly. New alternator, battery, a couple window regulators, a vent, fixed another vent with a printed part, ARB bumper, ham radio with comet 2m antennae, new double din radio and radio antennae, new front disc's, rotors, pads, and bearings, new belts, new spark plugs and wires, new speakers, removed old tint, new gas cover, rhino rack with ski rack on top, dash cover... lots of degreasing and cleaning.

Location, Louisville, CO

-Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom