3FE Fuel Supply Problem - I FIXED IT! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm glad this thread has been revived 3 or 4 times...

Mine is doing the same thing now but when I turn on the AC it idles beautifully. What's that all about?

Mine is doing the same thing now but when I turn on the AC it idles beautifully. What's that all about?

There are a bunch of vacuum switched valves that are all hooked together by the spaghetti of hoses. When you turn on the A/C one of those valves is being actuated and changing something.

That increase in idle speed is from the A/C idle-up function. Check for ECU codes. If you have an error 51, that can point to the idle-up function, or the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). If you do have the error 51, and if the idle-up is working (sounds like it is) then check your TPS.

Of course, it could also be one of the plethora of other things yooper swapped out, but checking ECU codes first is always a good idea, and doesn't cost anything.

I just want to make sure I'm on the right path and have diagnosed a failed FPR correctly. Vehicle cranks, but does not start. I have spark and I have air as all parts have been verified as working. I have fuel at the fuel filter and cold start injector, but no fuel coming out of the FPR return line. Before I throw money at the FPR this is my culprit, right?

I just want to make sure I'm on the right path and have diagnosed a failed FPR correctly. Vehicle cranks, but does not start. I have spark and I have air as all parts have been verified as working. I have fuel at the fuel filter and cold start injector, but no fuel coming out of the FPR return line. Before I throw money at the FPR this is my culprit, right?

Could be. The fuel at the cold start injector is a fooler - the fuel lines are full but won't flow because the check valve at the pump is stuck closed from overpressure.

One way to check, maybe, that makes sense to me: when it's not starting, open the fuel lines a bit, maybe at the cold start injector, to release pressure. Close it back up and see if it starts. What you are doing is sucking the check valve in the pump open so fuel can flow. If it starts then FPR is likely.

Keep in mind that replacing the FPR might not fully solve the problem if the check valve is damaged enough to continue getting stuck closed. The only solution then is to drop the tank and replace the pump.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I think this might be the answer to my problem to. The truck runs good and cranks right up in the mornings and if it doesn't sit too long. If it sits for a couple of hours and it hot out it will just spin over and not start. If I give it a little shot of starting fluid it cranks right up. When I drive I get a little sputter once in a while. I am also only getting about 10 to 11 mpg. Bone stock with little tiny tires. I have also noticed when I get gas that there is alot of pressure on the gas cap when I open it. I already changed the filter.

Sounds like you're running rich, Scott, so could be, especially with the temperature effect.

My general advice is that the 3FE FPR should be a 100K mile routine replacement item.

Wow, I started this thread 8 years ago and it's still relevant. :lol:

Last edited:
Just got the 62 a couple of weeks ago and have but about 1K miles on it. Only had the starting problem about 3 or 4 times but is a PITA. It has been close to 100 degrees every day since I got the truck so that heat along with motor heat could be contributing. Milage sux to but we dont drive Land Cruisers for the mileage , we drive them because we love them. I doubt mine has ever been changed so it's going on the short list. My main concern is the starting but the milage would definately be a bonus. Thanks

Thanks for the info Yooper. I forgot to add this as part of what I did in my previous post. I have the Fp and B+ jumped at the diagnostics port so the fuel pump runs when then key is turned to bulb check. When I do this I get fuel at the fuel filter and cold start injector, but not at the FPR return line which is making me think the FPR is stuck. I have tried cranking the engine after doing what I did above thinking it would reset the check ball and after removing the jumper, but still no start just cranking.

Thanks for the info Yooper. I forgot to add this as part of what I did in my previous post. I have the Fp and B+ jumped at the diagnostics port so the fuel pump runs when then key is turned to bulb check. When I do this I get fuel at the fuel filter and cold start injector, but not at the FPR return line which is making me think the FPR is stuck. I have tried cranking the engine after doing what I did above thinking it would reset the check ball and after removing the jumper, but still no start just cranking.

:hmm: yeah, that's a bit confusing

I think I would still try an FPR replacement.

Yooper couple of questions.

Just read this thread that spans 9 years. I have a 88 fj62 with the same problem. This hot stall was intermittent for months. Now it will only start for a minute when cold and then die. Starts fine for a few seconds then dies again. I have been through the FSM for days. check the TPS, AIR FLOW, etc. I got advice to replace the FPR and the FUEL dampener. I did the FPR and still the same.

I have tried the jumper wire to check the pump. It is running. What would you try next?
Thanks for the thread I think it is the exact problem I am having.

Just read this thread that spans 9 years. I have a 88 fj62 with the same problem. This hot stall was intermittent for months. Now it will only start for a minute when cold and then die. Starts fine for a few seconds then dies again. I have been through the FSM for days. check the TPS, AIR FLOW, etc. I got advice to replace the FPR and the FUEL dampener. I did the FPR and still the same.

I have tried the jumper wire to check the pump. It is running. What would you try next?

How long are you letting the pump run jumped? Could run fine for that brief moment but who knows it may be on its way out causing lack of pressure after a couple mins.

Replace the fuel pump. It's a big pain; you have to drop the tank to get at it. It solved the problem for me. The little plastic ball in the backflow preventer on the pump was damaged from the back pressure and would get stuck closed, so when the pump was running the fuel would just flow back into the tank.

How long are you letting the pump run jumped? Could run fine for that brief moment but who knows it may be on its way out causing lack of pressure after a couple mins.

Only a short time. I guess it could be the pump getting weak.

Replace the fuel pump. It's a big pain; you have to drop the tank to get at it. It solved the problem for me. The little plastic ball in the backflow preventer on the pump was damaged from the back pressure and would get stuck closed, so when the pump was running the fuel would just flow back into the tank.

Ok I was hoping to avoid it if I could because I think it has a full tank of gas.

When this problem went from a intermittent problem to the PROBLEM. I found a hose that looked like it was cook from the inside out. It was broken away. The local napa couldn't find a replacement so I did a home repair on it. The Hose it turns out is an air injection hose that connects from the larger check valve (A) to the ASV. I am getting this info from the FSM page EC-16. The check valve is corroded and is bad I am guessing. I am not sure why it got so hot and it cooked the hose. Is there something else with the AI system that has failed that would cause the issues I am having with the stalling and the cooked hose?
I don't understand the AI and EGR systems well enough to understand what could be causing this issue and if it is the symptom or the disease.

Do you think there is a link between the AI hose and the stalling or a different issue all together?

Ok I was hoping to avoid it if I could because I think it has a full tank of gas.

When this problem went from a intermittent problem to the PROBLEM. I found a hose that looked like it was cook from the inside out. It was broken away. The local napa couldn't find a replacement so I did a home repair on it. The Hose it turns out is an air injection hose that connects from the larger check valve (A) to the ASV. I am getting this info from the FSM page EC-16. The check valve is corroded and is bad I am guessing. I am not sure why it got so hot and it cooked the hose. Is there something else with the AI system that has failed that would cause the issues I am having with the stalling and the cooked hose?
I don't understand the AI and EGR systems well enough to understand what could be causing this issue and if it is the symptom or the disease.

Do you think there is a link between the AI hose and the stalling or a different issue all together?

I think it's different unless you have a big vacuum leak.

Starting and fuel problem

My 62 stalled on me a few days ago coasted to a stop and she re started in a couple of cranks. During that same day it seemed like it wanted to die out and did a couple of times . The next day I replaced the fuel filter and it ran good fo about 30 min. The next day it wouldn't start . People told me that it was fuel pump or sock . So today I dropped the tank and bench tested the pump and it pumped fuel fine , the sock looked a little colored but the pump was in gas when i tested it and seem to work properly . I then attached the pump to my truck just to make sure it was getting power from the truck no such luck . I then tested the connection and found I'm not getting power to the fuel pump. Has anyone had this problem and what is the fix. Any suggestions would be grateful . Thanks John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom