3FE engine beef up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What package is this you're talking about? I know Delta will do custom grinds on Toyota F engine cams that people have had good reviews of.

What has me curious is if oversized valves would be worth the work required to make them work in an F head. At the very least porting/polishing & port matching the head and having the stock valves 3-angled would help airflow through the head.

If I was to really go for extra power with a 3FE I would first do the old "hot rod" tricks that have been shown to make a difference at lower RPMs (4K and below). As said before, the 4 main bearings prevent safely reaching high RPMs with these engines.

Already working on a 3F carby head that will sit on a 2F block, paid for hi compression pistons, new valves, RV cam, ARP rod bolts, and better valve springs. i will also be balancing the motor. Already have headers and a tub-style intake (rest of the world spec). My overall plan is to be able to wind it out to 5000rpm safely while making more power across the band.

From everyone i spoke to, there really isn't much more gain from the larger valving, there is also the risk of taking away too much material and having a wasted head, my environment doesn't help either (Dubai deserts @100-110F in summer) but i've taken precautions for that (Alum rad and subaru electric fans on condenser with clutch driven) Now its a matter of putting it all together since as usual.....waiting on parts.

Took my 3fe 1mm over bore with slight head deck. Haven't run it yet but the manual transmission helps a bunch, a good rebuild should make for a much livelier ride.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1421330221.045592.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1421330257.243268.jpg

New and ignorant here but; How does one tune a 2F engine on a 60? Its kinda sad, but my understanding of "tuning" is throw it on the computer and make those adjustments.

For a 1983 60, how does one "tune" when there is no computer? Or is there a computer?

New and ignorant here but; How does one tune a 2F engine on a 60? Its kinda sad, but my understanding of "tuning" is throw it on the computer and make those adjustments.

For a 1983 60, how does one "tune" when there is no computer? Or is there a computer?
there isnt really much you can do to "Tune" a 2F other than to make sure the valve clearance is set, your fuel and ignition components are good, and your carb is properly set. You could switch to 3FE style exhaust manifolds or install a header and more open exhaust.....more aggressive cam....after that things start getting much more expensive as you open up the insides and change pistons and rods and do headwork etc. In the end most people decide a stock running engine is good enough...or they do an engine swap to something like a V8. A few people spend the $$$$ and build up crazy 2F motors but at that point you have to throw logic and accounting out the window and just embrace the insanity.

there isnt really much you can do to "Tune" a 2F other than to make sure the valve clearance is set, your fuel and ignition components are good, and your carb is properly set. You could switch to 3FE style exhaust manifolds or install a header and more open exhaust.....more aggressive cam....after that things start getting much more expensive as you open up the insides and change pistons and rods and do headwork etc. In the end most people decide a stock running engine is good enough...or they do an engine swap to something like a V8. A few people spend the $$$$ and build up crazy 2F motors but at that point you have to throw logic and accounting out the window and just embrace the insanity.
So am I right in understanding that, for a old analog car like my '83 60, a "tune" simply equates to general maintaining?

So am I right in understanding that, for a old analog car like my '83 60, a "tune" simply equates to general maintaining?
Pretty much. Tune up of old just meant replacing worn ignition components, adjusting valve clearance, and changing filters.

Spark plugs and wires, distributor cap and rotor. Adjust valves and importantly timing. Clean or replace air filter. On 3FE inspect intake hoses for cracks and clean AFM.

I have a 3FE so don't know on the 2F. I'm sure it's in the FAQ of this section with instructions on how to set it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom