3FE engine beef up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice ressurection there, Matt. ;) Pert near 3 year old thread.

Got to love search for reading up:D but have to admit I did not look at the last post date:eek:

Has Anyone tried the Jet ECU upgrade? What About removing the clutch fan and using 1 big or 2 small electric fans? Frees up HP on anything else

Yeah, I am right there...38mph up to the tunnel last week in my 60... sooo slow.

Holy thread revival batman :eek:

Thanks to all of you 3fe power adder pioneers. I'm ab to crack mine & do a similar build:

Forged internals
RV grind cam / lifters
Headers
Hi flow cats
Full exhaust
Bored TB
Injectors
Jet CPU tune
Hot tank / steam clean intake manifold
De smog

Hopefully the beast will roar

Thanks to all of you 3fe power adder pioneers. I'm ab to crack mine & do a similar build:

Forged internals
RV grind cam / lifters
Headers
Hi flow cats
Full exhaust
Bored TB
Injectors
Jet CPU tune
Hot tank / steam clean intake manifold
De smog

Hopefully the beast will roar

:popcorn:

A friend of mine has some sort of a cold air intake on his 3FE.
I test drove it and it feels like it has some good torque, off the line, power.
Acceleration is not super, but just the start from stopped kick feels a little more.
Would a cold start intake make any kind of a difference here?
I tested the engine when it was cold, so the air temp would have no significance in my short test ride, but the filter looked like a cone type. The only difference possible by this intake system is less restrictive air flow.
Does less restrictive air intake flow affect off the line torque? My guess would be no. I would think that would only help with horsepower at higher revs where air flow comes into play.
Anything I said make sense?

I agree, my truck hauls ass with the H55F on 31's. I have a similar engine to overhanger but no snorkel. I have, accidentally, gotten rubber in both 1st and 2nd gear. My rmp's are too high now so I will do a rubber re-gear to 33's to drop them down. Make sure your TPS is adjusted properly and spend the $260 for a overbore TB from RC. Well worth it.

My H55F conversion cost about $3200 using a new H55F, clutch, master, slave, etc. and a bunch of used FJ60 parts. Done in my garage.

My 3FE rebuild cost about $2500 using new OEM pistons, cam, oil pump, etc etc. I balanced the rotating assembly and its overbored 40 over. Oh, and Jim Chenoweth built my head using chevy SS valves and did some P&P work. Flowmaster as well.

I did all the work except the machining. The machine shop assembled my long block for an extra $200 and they had done many 2F and 3FE's so I let them!

Biggest performance improvement: H55F! Overbored TB next.

I do not need a V8 in this truck it hauls ass! If you do not want to go manual get an extreme A440F from Slee and put your foot in it.

Dunbar

Anyone had their TB bored by RC lately? Curious if just a TB bore would produce a difference in power on an otherwise stock engine. Help or hurt MPGs? And yes I know, cruisers and MPG's don't play well together.

A friend of mine has some sort of a cold air intake on his 3FE.
I test drove it and it feels like it has some good torque, off the line, power.
Acceleration is not super, but just the start from stopped kick feels a little more.
Does less restrictive air intake flow affect off the line torque? My guess would be no. I would think that would only help with horsepower at higher revs where air flow comes into play.
Anything I said make sense?
Virtually no difference at all. Just look inside the air meter, it's a much smaller opening than the throttle body. The factory (quite large) air filter will not really be a restriction.

Virtually no difference at all. Just look inside the air meter, it's a much smaller opening than the throttle body. The factory (quite large) air filter will not really be a restriction.

I think simply swapping out the AFM with a MAF sensor would make a large difference in high RPM power. One mudder a while back was working on a conversion and almost had it dialed in with the help of the MAF manufacturer, but lost his 62 in a fire. He was definitely on to something though. If I had the funds available I'd try to pick up where he left off, but sadly, I don't.

It's really easy to measure pressures in the intake tract. That'll tell you whether it's a restriction.

I agree, the AFM ducting looks wretched. But then you look at the intake valves, and... they're tiny.

So some work's in order.

I'll put it on the list- 1- assemble motor 2- convert truck to 2FE 3- measure intake pressures! ;)

But seriously, helping a friend convert a different AFM to MAF, it's incredible how different the
airflow path is. Restriction? dunno about that...

t

Is the head what really limits the power on these things? There are plenty of old I6's that can make some pretty serious power, seems these should be able to as well. I'm guessing the lack of aftermarket parts doesn't help.

Is the head what really limits the power on these things? There are plenty of old I6's that can make some pretty serious power, seems these should be able to as well. I'm guessing the lack of aftermarket parts doesn't help.
It's almost always the heads and cam that are the main limiters of power.

The 3FE also has a few other things working against it, mainly the 4-main bearings, which means a lot of the crank is unsupported. That limits how fast you can spin the engine, which limits your power.

The F-series engines can take a lot of abuse, and run for an extremely long time, but the architecture predates almost every "old I6" by 20 years or more, and just isn't that capable of making big power.

Last edited:
Supposedly the cam & lifters as apackage will yield 20-25% improvement. If I can squeeze out 1fz numbers and turn 35's in the mud, I'LL be happy.

Supposedly the cam & lifters as apackage will yield 20-25% improvement. If I can squeeze out 1fz numbers and turn 35's in the mud, I'LL be happy.

What package is this you're talking about? I know Delta will do custom grinds on Toyota F engine cams that people have had good reviews of.

What has me curious is if oversized valves would be worth the work required to make them work in an F head. At the very least porting/polishing & port matching the head and having the stock valves 3-angled would help airflow through the head.

If I was to really go for extra power with a 3FE I would first do the old "hot rod" tricks that have been shown to make a difference at lower RPMs (4K and below). As said before, the 4 main bearings prevent safely reaching high RPMs with these engines.

At a pretty low lift, the valve shrouding becomes a limiting factor on the 3FE.
And there's not enough metal to machine it open and use a hemispherical pistion.

Ironically, an old, open- chamber head with a domed piston starts to look pretty good
when you look at trying to get close to the 1FZ power levels...

t

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom