3f bellhousing on 2f engine??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, so some of you have been following my posting on building up my 87 fj60. Last night as I was prepping the frame for the repair I noticed something that raised some red flags (and maybe it's not a problem.).

The engine says 2F on the valve cover but the bellhousing has 3F stamped on it. I assume someone in the past swapped it out. My concern is two fold. I'm swapping out to the H55 tranny and ordered a clutch rebuild kit from cool cruisers. From what I have seen the tranny swap shouldn't be a problem other than tilting the new tranny 5* or so. But my concern is the clutch kit I bought. Are they universal between bellhousings or do I need to get one specifically for the 3F bellhousing?? Anything else I should be aware of that I'm not considering?

Thanks all you FJ masters!!

IMG_1364.JPG

IMG_1365.JPG

It's the correct one.

The 3F bellhousing tips the transmission to the right about 10 degrees. Also uses a different clutch master and slave cylinder. The crossmember change happened at the same time as well, to accommodate the tilt of the transmission.

From what I have seen the tranny swap shouldn't be a problem other than tilting the new tranny 5*

As mentioned, the H55F will bolt right in to your truck with your bell housing and it will be level once installed (the top case). It's a direct perfect swap. No modifications necessary.

As mentioned, the H55F will bolt right in to your truck with your bell housing and it will be level once installed (the top case). It's a direct perfect swap. No modifications necessary.

It won't be level, but the correct H55f shifter has the correct bend to put the ball in the correct place to fit your hand. It will seem level even though it isn't.

It is a direct swap, and most of the 3F bellhousings already have the space for the ears of the H55f bearing retainer.

There are 2 reasons though the previous bellhousing to me, is more desirable. Most important, the slave cylinder has an adjustable push rod, and second, the low point of the transfer case sits a bit higher-ie slightly better ground clearance.

Awesome thanks everyone! I'm sure that was a somewhat stupid question but I'm new to FJ's. time to get to welding the frame patches!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom