3B Glow Plug Timing Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is it definitely oil?? Oil the combustion chambers is usually bad, indicates either a leaking head gasket or leaking valve guides. But the fact that it's on all of them makes me think it's not that.

Are you sure that's not either WD40 or similar that you used to get them out, or unburned diesel from cranking it over with the engine not catching?

Unless the engine ran badly (when hot) or used a lot of oil, I would not worry. Get a new set of quality (Denso or NGK) plugs and I think you'll be fine. Check the contacts on the bus bar are all fine. Make sure you wire it up correctly too!

The “oil” is probably a fuel/carbon mix from trying to start, at some point before they were pulled. And yes, no resistance means they are shorted internally (infinite resistance means they are burnt out internally) probably the elements are shorting on the casing from overheating.
Put in the new, proper (double check!) glow plugs, and see how it goes. A few starts will tell the tale.
Good Luck!

Is it definitely oil?? Oil the combustion chambers is usually bad, indicates either a leaking head gasket or leaking valve guides. But the fact that it's on all of them makes me think it's not that.

Are you sure that's not either WD40 or similar that you used to get them out, or unburned diesel from cranking it over with the engine not catching?

Unless the engine ran badly (when hot) or used a lot of oil, I would not worry. Get a new set of quality (Denso or NGK) plugs and I think you'll be fine. Check the contacts on the bus bar are all fine. Make sure you wire it up correctly too!
It's not definitely oil, just saw black liquid and figured it was oil, oops. and yes yes, I have checked all those things and they are fine, just need to get a quality set of glowplugs now, thank you.
The “oil” is probably a fuel/carbon mix from trying to start, at some point before they were pulled. And yes, no resistance means they are shorted internally (infinite resistance means they are burnt out internally) probably the elements are shorting on the casing from overheating.
Put in the new, proper (double check!) glow plugs, and see how it goes. A few starts will tell the tale.
Good Luck!
Awesome! Great to hear it isn't oil haha, had myself scared for a minute there. I'll shoot @BreckenridgeCruiser a PM about those plugs he said he would sell. Hopefully, some nice new ones should fix the problem. Also, how would I prevent the glowplug from overheating? Am I doing something wrong to cause that or does it just happen over time? Thanks.

Glow plugs burn out after a while, the super glow kills cheap plugs. I once put a set of HKT garbage in my 2L and they were done for in months. Nothing you can do to other than buying top quality plugs. They are also less likely to snap off in the head when removing them eventually and causing you a world of pain!! Good luck 👍

At least they didn't look like this!

IMG_2219.jpg

Glow plugs burn out after a while, the super glow kills cheap plugs. I once put a set of HKT garbage in my 2L and they were done for in months. Nothing you can do to other than buying top quality plugs. They are also less likely to snap off in the head when removing them eventually and causing you a world of pain!! Good luck 👍
The set I pulled out of my engine were HKT... probably explains a lot lol
At least they didn't look like this!

View attachment 2462657
Danggggggggg😳

To finish this all up, I finally got a nice set of NGK glowplugs and put them in. The timing issue is gone and the 3b starts up instantly in cold weather! Thank you all for the help and to anyone reading this in the future, get some nice quality glow plugs!!!

Glad you got it sorted and it‘s now a happy starter!
Superglow is a great system, once you understand it (and correct issues PO’s have caused messing with it!).

Hi Everyone. Bit of an off topic question but there seams to be some knowledgable heads here and I am chasing some info on superglow. Loooooong story short but I have a HJ60 with a 2H running superglow. Its an Australian original 12v truck. I know this is not a 3b but hear me out.

I have recently done a complete rebuild of the engine after the PO damaged a piston and sold it on to me in bits. I replaced all the glow plugs, the bus bars and the sensor bracket when I did the rebuild. Its also got brand new batteries, a rebuilt alternator and I had all the engine earths re-done. The glow system has been working completely fine over the last few weeks of having the truck back running and its starts and purrs like a kitten.

However last weekend when I was returning from a 2hr drive I noticed a faint burning smell from the engine. I stopped and checked everything but nothing was obvious. I only had a few mins to get home so I carried on. At home I check everything again and still found nothing obvious. A few hours later I went to move the truck in my drive and noticed that when I went to start it the glow light did not come on. The truck started fine but straight away I heard a loud repetitive clicking sound. I popped the hood with it running and found the noise was coming from the Glow Relay. I felt the relay and it was definitely clicking like crazy. I turned it off and have been trying to find the issue ever since.

One other thing to add to the mix is that at the same time I noticed my charging volts were low on the dash gauge. I put a multi meter on the batts and it was only pumping out 12-12.6v at best, so not really charging at all. After getting the alt re checked we have worked out the voltage reg was buggered, which im waiting on a replacement for now.

A couple of other attempts to start the truck have given varied results, most times the glow system seams to work fine. But once its idling the relay will start sporadically clicking again, especially worse when you give it a rev.

My initial thought was the relay was toast but ive had that tested and its fine. I have done some diagnostics and found that the glow system seams to be working as it should, im getting 7-8v-ish on the plugs for the initial glow, then the relay clicks off and the after glow happens. As above once its idled for a few mins the relay starts clicking.

I figured it must be the glow plug timer. Which I have been attempting to find a replacement for. Which is where my headaches begin. Mine is a H12V and I cannot for the life of me find a replacement controller, they are rare as hens teeth and the ones I do find are all 24v. I managed to find what I was told was the right controller from a wrecker but when it arrived it was stamped as a B12V. After a bit of research I found this is off a BJ45 running a 3B motor. (Told you id make a link).

So after that novel here are my questions.
Would the sporadic relay clicking be caused by the controller being toast or could it be something else?
Do you think the controller of the 3B motor would work? Its the same plug but I am apprehensive to try as I dont want to **** any of the system....

I really dont want to go to a wilson switch as I am trying to keep the truck as stock as possible.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Cheers.

Hi Everyone. Bit of an off topic question but there seams to be some knowledgable heads here and I am chasing some info on superglow. Loooooong story short but I have a HJ60 with a 2H running superglow. Its an Australian original 12v truck. I know this is not a 3b but hear me out.

I have recently done a complete rebuild of the engine after the PO damaged a piston and sold it on to me in bits. I replaced all the glow plugs, the bus bars and the sensor bracket when I did the rebuild. Its also got brand new batteries, a rebuilt alternator and I had all the engine earths re-done. The glow system has been working completely fine over the last few weeks of having the truck back running and its starts and purrs like a kitten.

However last weekend when I was returning from a 2hr drive I noticed a faint burning smell from the engine. I stopped and checked everything but nothing was obvious. I only had a few mins to get home so I carried on. At home I check everything again and still found nothing obvious. A few hours later I went to move the truck in my drive and noticed that when I went to start it the glow light did not come on. The truck started fine but straight away I heard a loud repetitive clicking sound. I popped the hood with it running and found the noise was coming from the Glow Relay. I felt the relay and it was definitely clicking like crazy. I turned it off and have been trying to find the issue ever since.

One other thing to add to the mix is that at the same time I noticed my charging volts were low on the dash gauge. I put a multi meter on the batts and it was only pumping out 12-12.6v at best, so not really charging at all. After getting the alt re checked we have worked out the voltage reg was buggered, which im waiting on a replacement for now.

A couple of other attempts to start the truck have given varied results, most times the glow system seams to work fine. But once its idling the relay will start sporadically clicking again, especially worse when you give it a rev.

My initial thought was the relay was toast but ive had that tested and its fine. I have done some diagnostics and found that the glow system seams to be working as it should, im getting 7-8v-ish on the plugs for the initial glow, then the relay clicks off and the after glow happens. As above once its idled for a few mins the relay starts clicking.

I figured it must be the glow plug timer. Which I have been attempting to find a replacement for. Which is where my headaches begin. Mine is a H12V and I cannot for the life of me find a replacement controller, they are rare as hens teeth and the ones I do find are all 24v. I managed to find what I was told was the right controller from a wrecker but when it arrived it was stamped as a B12V. After a bit of research I found this is off a BJ45 running a 3B motor. (Told you id make a link).

So after that novel here are my questions.
Would the sporadic relay clicking be caused by the controller being toast or could it be something else?
Do you think the controller of the 3B motor would work? Its the same plug but I am apprehensive to try as I dont want to f*** any of the system....

I really dont want to go to a wilson switch as I am trying to keep the truck as stock as possible.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Cheers.

I had something similar with a starter relay. The relay was corroded and had arced and melted the coils on the internal solenoid. As soon as I connected the battery cable it would short and buzz like hell. It's pretty easy to take the metal cap off these relays (I believe there are two relays in a super glow system) and visually inspect them.

I also had another similar issue, for years, with a voltage regulator that would click rhythmically when the air was damp. Years later I replaced the regulator and never had the issue again. It was also corroded contacts on the internal solenoid as far as I can remember.

Let us know what you find!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom