3b diy turbo question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What is the exhaust A/R of that T3?
You need 0.48 for T3 or smaller if you can get it.

Specs:
-Model: Garrett/Airesearch TA0310 (T3 Series)
-Compressor Trim: 50
-Compressor Housing a/r: .42
-Turbine Housing a/r: .48
-9psi wastegate

from a 85 300td

That'll do nicely.

Here are a few pics of the 2.5" down pipe on the t3 3b.
exhaust and dash 013.jpg
exhaust and dash 014.jpg
exhaust and dash 015.jpg

All right, I think I'm ready to start the turbo project. The adapter's done, and I've got the turbo and manifold. Mel and Wesintl, any suggestions on what other parts I'm going to need?

Specs on hoses and threads would be great... :)

Depends on the turbo you have for the oil lines...

I have a .42/.48 T3

I bought this I think.. -4 feed
eBay Motors: T3 T3/T4 T60 T70 Turbo 4AN Oil Feed Fitting Line Kit (item 380004635275 end time Mar-15-08 20:02:31 PDT)

I made my own -8 braided drain line. used a 1/2 bung welded to the pan from a local race shop.

I used an al tube with silicon fittings, 90 on the one end and a reduction from al tube to the turbo on the other from Treadstone Performance Inc, Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Turbo manifolds, Silicone hose

I added water cooling to my t3, pretty simple.

I have a saab 9000 turbo and a 760 volvo...

That is a nice install Mel. Congratulations. I have been following your thread for quite a while as I am getting ready to put my 3B/5spd into a clean FJ62 I picked up this winter.
I have two questions for ya;
Firstly, how did ya mount up your power steering pump on the drivers side? It would be so nice to get it out of the way for my turbo.
And secondly, did you actually polish every single freakin part of your entire engine bay to perfection??? I have trouble finding parts on my engine cus there so burried in gunk. Hehe. Nice job!
G

Mel, nice install and congrats on having it all done.

I am about to undertake a similar project with the A/C & Turbo install and had a couple of questions if you could get some of your time.

1 Can you show me a pic of the air compressor mounted and the route that you took the hoses.
2 What made you decide to change the oil feed for the turbo to the pressure switch rather then tapping the side of the block as per your original post?

Cheers

My rig never had ac or ps from Toyota.

The ac compressor is mounted on a oem bracket I scored here on mud.

The ps pump is from a fj60 and sits on a custom bracket FRANK made.

I will get better pics of both.

The t for the oil supply line is NOT leaking,

so that is how I am leaving it for now.

If I were to do it again,

I would pull turbo oil from a pre exiting hole in the galley.

Last edited:
My ps set up will only work with a 81 specific radiator.

The top hose must point to the passenger side.

This also requires a 1b type t stat housing.

A good radiator shop should be able to modify a 82+ radiator to make it work.

The lower rad hose is now a 3 piece part.

pics to follow

I've been following a few of the 3B DIY turbo threads recently with interest. I'm looking for the smallest internal wastegate elbow/downpipe solution for a T3.

I bought a 3B with a T3 from a LeBaron sitting on a 13b-t manifold. The stock, cast iron turbine exhaust elbow is huge and won't fit in my RHD 1982 BJ42. (It fit fine in Lumpy's 70.) What have people found to be the most compact exhaust elbow while still maintaining an internal wastegate on a T3?

When I'm done with the engine swap I may sell the RHB6 with a matching exhaust manifold that's on the 3B that's coming out.

Yes, I briefly considered a block-off plate but would rather keep a functional internal wastegate.

I don't know how the wastegate works on that Mercedes turbo in the photo. It appears to be blocked off though I've never seen one in person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom