3B + 5 speed swap in FJ 62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am beginning the documentation of a 3B diesel swap on our 1989 FJ 62. We purchased our rig a few years ago and we had big plans to start accessorizing it. Our plans changed when the transmission gave out on us. After getting several quotes to rebuild it we made a decision to go all out and implant a diesel and manual transmission. We found a donor BJ 60 from a local mudder in The Charleston, SC area. It was originally a Canadian vehicle so it had plenty of rust. This is a project that my son and I are working on together, I guess you can call it "Male Bonding" or maybe a little bit of "Male Cussing"!

Here is the FJ 62 that is receiving the diesel.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Yesterday we finished stripping all of the unnecessary parts under the hood that is not needed for the diesel, removed the gas tank and fuel lines, cut away the motor mounts and prepped for the new ones, removed the whole dash, removed the pedal buckets with the automatic, and pressure washed the engine compartment. I guess that was a full day in 100 degree heat!

How many miles on the 3FE..??

Today we were able to pull the 3B, transmission, and transfer case from the BJ 60. :clap: We were lucky that all of the bolts cooperated and did not give us a fight. Pretty awesome considering all of the rust that is under the rig.

image.jpeg

Today we were able to pull the 3B, transmission, and transfer case from the BJ 60. :clap: We were lucky that all of the bolts cooperated and did not give us a fight. Pretty awesome considering all of the rust that is under the rig.
I might need to swing over and say my goodbyes to the old Canuck

I might need to swing over and say my goodbyes to the old Canuck
Yes indeed. It is quite depressing to see how much is has deteriorated in the last year. The rust just seems to be eating her away before our very eyes. Give me a call and swing over this week so that you can see what we have going on. I will be back to work on Monday so the progress will come to a halt until fall.

Sweet project. I'm moving to Beaufort in a few months with my stock '82 fj60. Nice to see other crusiers in the lowcountry... especially if you now have a parts cruiser :)

Sweet project. I'm moving to Beaufort in a few months with my stock '82 fj60. Nice to see other crusiers in the lowcountry... especially if you now have a parts cruiser :)
Welcome to the Lowcountry! I live on Edisto Island which is real close by water. I hope to run into you and see your 60.

Today we were able to cut away the engine and transmission mounts out of the 60 without destroying them. It took three tools to finally get the job done. I started out with a 4.5" cutting wheel on my angle grinder to get most of the weld cut away, then I had to change to an air cut off tool to cut around the top of the bracket near the underside of the body, and finally I had to bring out the cutting torch to finish it off. The transmission mounts were the real PITA! We also transferred the measurements onto the 62 frame. We were able to drop the fuel tank from the diesel and take out the dash so that we can remove manual pedal buckets tomorrow.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Today we were able to get the clutch master, pedal buckets, and core support removed from the BJ. Then we got all of our crap cleaned up that was laying around on the driveway. I think that we have everything pulled off of the BJ that we need for now so we pulled it away to the equipment graveyard that we have on our farm. I think that this is the end of our progress for now because I go back to work and we will be preparing for my son to attend Clemson University in a month. We are hoping to dedicate a week on this project around his fall break. It has been a learning experience and we are sad to stop.:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom