31st Annual Rubithon - 2019 Registration Now Open - NEW DATES!!

Cruiserdrew

On the way there
SILVER Star

Question for you guys . i will have time to do 1 or the other . What do you think would be more helpful ?

1) Atlas transfer case

2) Gears and Front locker .

The Fj gets around fine now with the current gears and i do have a rear locker and Atrac . I just would like to get some of the power back and Lock the front at the same time . What do you guys think ?

Low range box is gold. If you have the $, don't hesitate. It will change how you do what you do. Locking the front is nice, but a real low saves your bodywork and sanity. I did not know there was an atlas for the FJ Cruiser.

Low range box is gold. If you have the $, don't hesitate. It will change how you do what you do. Locking the front is nice, but a real low saves your bodywork and sanity. I did not know there was an atlas for the FJ Cruiser.
Yes i am putting the Atlas 4 speed that was in the Metal Tech FJ into my FJ .

reddingcruiser

Practicing for retirement
GOLD Star
The Rubithon gets closer every day and right now there are only 88 days left before the event starts (but who's counting). AND....the wild weather continues for the Sierra-Nevada range. Heck, here in northern California, depending on where you are, we've had as much as 2+ inches of rain, temps in the 50's and 60's, and snow on Mt. Shasta.

With that in mind, here are a few Rubithon-related notes:
  • If you know you are on a committee and haven't registered yet, please do.
  • We are still looking for at least two more brave early risers to help with the Sunday exodus on Cadillac Hill. I don't expect mountains of snow but barring a heat wave to dry up the water that normally flows onto the trail, I suspect portions of trail in general, Cadillac Hill and the rest of the trip out to Tahoma Staging will be a wet, slippery challenge.
  • DO keep an eye on the weather in the Sierra throughout the next 2 1/2 months and plan your gear accordingly. Though the conditions could quickly change favorably for us, there are no guarantees. The Jeepers' and Jeep Jamborees will run before us this year and may make the trail more challenging.
  • We'll post updates here on trail conditions as we get closer so folks can plan accordingly. If you have FIRST HAND information on trail conditions please feel free to pass it along. Normally folks are scouting the trail by Memorial Day, but somehow I don't think that will be the case this year. Scouting the entire trail by the 4th of July could be a challenge.
  • As noted, It is likely there will be plenty of water on the trail, which means you might want to plan to keep stuff dry (including ignition systems, air intakes, diffs, trannies, etc.). Aside from wet food and a pile of wet clothes, there's I nothing more miserable than 3 to 4 days sleeping in a wet tent, in a wet sleeping bag.
  • Trail Leads might want to evaluate their travel timelines and camping locations as we get closer to the event. I suspect that the number of available camping spots at some locations, including Buck Island, might be a few less than last year. Aside from the Rubithon folks, there will likely be others trying to get a Rubicon trip in before Labor Day.
  • My main point in all of this is that planning ahead will make the trip more enjoyable, which equates to memorable, and will help ensure you and your passengers have a good time.

Last edited:

reddingcruiser

GOLD Star
There are just a tad over 45 days left until the start of this year's Rubithon! Those of you that follow Facebook and other social media may have seen some of the video from the intrepid adventurers poking their nose into the trail, and things still are a little wet up there. It looks like some sections of the trail are better suited to white water rafting and skiing. My guess it everything will be just about perfect when we hit the trail on August 13th (well, maybe a few lingering mosquitoes). While Mother Nature refused to cooperate this year, we are making lemonade from lemons.

If you are following our Facebook page you know that our Raffle Committee, lead by past Chairman Eric Agee, has been doing a fantastic job pulling together a huge pile raffle prizes. And yes, there is a winch in the pile!

Though it was actually January 4th, it seems like just last week I started this thread. With the adjustments we've had to make it's been a long, strange ride, but the good news is everything is slowly falling into place, and you KNOW the next 40-some days will pass just as quickly.

If you haven't registered already, now's the time. (I'm sure the kids won't argue over an extended summer vacation). If you have any questions you can reach me at chairman@rubithon.com .

reddingcruiser

GOLD Star
Congratulations to David McKenney! David is the June winner of an extra Grand Prize Raffle Ticket at this year's 31st Rubithon.

Just in case you're not keeping track, the Rubithon is just a little over a month away ;)

1973Guppie

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star

Really looking forward to this! First time trip for my 5 year old boy Forrest. Most likely he will be covered in dust from head to toe. We are spending some time in the Tahoe area after and then making our way down the 395 on the way home. Bridgeport / Twin lakes Mono Village, Bodie, June Lake, Benton hot springs, Coyote Flats. I need to figure out a better shower setup than a crystal geyser bottle warmed by the fire. :)

reddingcruiser

GOLD Star
Really looking forward to this! First time trip for my 5 year old boy Forrest. Most likely he will be covered in dust from head to toe. We are spending some time in the Tahoe area after and then making our way down the 395 on the way home. Bridgeport / Twin lakes Mono Village, Bodie, June Lake, Benton hot springs, Coyote Flats. I need to figure out a better shower setup than a crystal geyser bottle warmed by the fire. :)
Nothing like a hot shower. There are a number of options. Sporting Goods store sell 2-gallon solar showers pretty cheap. I have two that have lasted for years. Or, check out Decker's Hot Camp Showers. You'll be everyone's new best friend:clap:

1973Guppie

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star

Nothing like a hot shower. There are a number of options. Sporting Goods store sell 2-gallon solar showers pretty cheap. I have two that have lasted for years. Or, check out Decker's Hot Camp Showers. You'll be everyone's new best friend:clap:
right? :) I have tried the solar showers, I tend to always rip them. But may consider them again if I can find one that is not made out of cheap thin plastic. Sorry to hijack thread. Back to work.

peesalot

FYI the north shore campground at Loon is closed. and will be through this season.

Anyone know if fire restrictions are in place yet ? I've been poking around the FS site but can only find old info. Maybe that means no restrictions as of yet ?

surfpig

The Anti-Tech

FYI the north shore campground at Loon is closed. and will be through this season.

Anyone know if fire restrictions are in place yet ? I've been poking around the FS site but can only find old info. Maybe that means no restrictions as of yet ?
Not just the campground, but all the "usual" dispersed camping spots around that area. You can still camp out on the rocks down below the dam.

As far as I can tell, fire restrictions are not up yet. They might start Aug 1 though.

:cheers:

Lil'John

SILVER Star

The weather has been beautiful outside of Georgetown this week. Mid to upper 80s and today topped out at 90.

A truck load of trailers and traffic went in this morning. Out of curiosity, where do all these trailers and tow rigs get stored? I saw at least six trailers while heading into town and another 3 or 4 in Georgetown.

peesalot

Thats all the Jamboree guys going in early for the back to back events, next 3 weeks will be busy.

reddingcruiser

GOLD Star
Twenty days until Rubithon.

But who's counting the days (or sweating the details)? There is a lot left to do over the next two and half weeks.

To all those who are helping pull everything together, I can't thank you enough.

To everyone who are attending, I am looking forward to seeing you on the trail.

To those who couldn't make it this year because of date change, we'll see you next year.

If anyone has any final questions, now is a good time to ask.

reddingcruiser

GOLD Star
We are getting close to heading off to the Rubicon Trail! Yep, it's crunch time, only 5 days before we head in to set up for Rubithon.

The weather looks pretty nice with high temps for the most part in the mid to upper70's, though a little chilly at night with lows in the upper 30's to low 40's. That being said, it's the Sierra-Nevada mountains, anything can happen weather-wise, so have a back-up plan. There's nothing worse than a wet sleeping bag and no rain gear, ask me how I know.

There is the possibility of some partly cloudy conditions on Saturday, depending on which forecast you look at.

Any last minute questions can be directed to me at chairman@rubithon.com. I will be checking my email regularly through Monday, after that I won't have internet access.

Time for a deep breath and a sprint to the finish.

reddingcruiser

GOLD Star
I'm not sure if I'll have a chance for another post before we head into Rubicon Springs tomorrow, so I wanted to announce the Grand Prize Ticket winner for July:

Todd Zulauf! Congratulations!

And that is the final extra Grand Prize ticket for the 31st Annual Rubithon.

See you at Rubithon!

Top Bottom