TLCA 31st Annual Rubithon - 2019 Registration Now Open - NEW DATES!! (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I always enjoy meeting up with old friends when I'm out hiking the trail. I'm sure with a lot of COAXING you can get Eric A. to hit the trail :)

I had a look at the Registrations website and was wondering if there are any details on the actual runs in regards to ratings or vehicle specs etc.

I am looking at the 2 day options with my kid but apart from start location there isn't much between them and I am wondering what is most suitable for an old 46 Series that just likes to poke along

I'll jump in until someone official says something official. All the runs are hard. The 'short' option is to go in from the Tahoe/Tahoma side - but you still have to do Cadillac hill. The longer runs go in from Loon Lake - some spend the night at Buck Island Lake, some go straight through, but all run the same route. My understanding (and what I consider minimum for me) is 35's and locked front and rear, sliders, skid plates is minimum - but someone might chime in with more specific requirements. Everyone goes slow, so poking is fine. But it is one continues large rock.

I had a look at the Registrations website and was wondering if there are any details on the actual runs in regards to ratings or vehicle specs etc.

I am looking at the 2 day options with my kid but apart from start location there isn't much between them and I am wondering what is most suitable for an old 46 Series that just likes to poke along

Here are the Chairman's notes. On the Rubicon Trail (and Rubithon), minimum tire size is 33", anything less will not be fun for the driver or those behind. All runs from any given departure point take essentially the same route, but there are some 'line' options depending on your skill or frustration level, or desire to prove a point. Leaving from Loon Lake is a longer trip, but includes the complete Rubicon experience and absolutely worth the trip for first-timers. Most runs are at a pace suitable for novices. Trail Leads and committee members are there to see everyone gets through safely. Everyone has had a 'first time' on the trail and it's expected. If you want to reach out to a Trail Lead to discuss their particular run just send me a PM or email, or call me.

The double locker run is fun, if equipped as required, and does require a nod from Mudrak.

FJ Cruisers, stock 40's and 45's make it through all the time, though it takes a little more effort than a "well prepared" trial rig. Still fun, nonetheless.

Just for the record, here's something official.

From the inspection sheet: The minimum vehicle requirements which, if not met, may disqualify a vehicle from participating in the event:

If your vehicle does not meet these requirements, request approval directly from Rubithon Chairman

Vehicle must be street legal or green stickered with current registration and proof of Liability Insurance

Battery secured (no bungees)
Either a single locker or lower gearing
Minimum 33” Tires (must have at least 2/32” of tread)
Spare Tire must be fully inflated and within 3” of other tires. Tires over 37” (a tube / bailing wire / repair kit will suffice)
Tires must be aired down to a maximum of 15 psi prior to safety inspection
Hi Lift Jack capable of lifting vehicle
Tool capable of removing lug nuts (don’t forget any wheel locks)
Front and rear recovery points
A tow strap (no chains or metal hooks.) Rated for twice the vehicles weight
Extrication Hardware (tree strap, clevis, dowels, snatch block)
Service Brakes: Must be able to stall engine when idling in High Range 2nd gear (1st gear if 3 speed)
Parking Brake: Must be able to stall engine when idling in High Range 3rd gear (2nd gear if 3 speed)
Head Lights, Running Lights and Brake Lights: Must be functioning properly
Roll Bar: Any open vehicle must have a roll bar firmly attached to the vehicle
Seat Belts: Required for driver and each passenger
Steering: Check play in wheel, condition of column and mounting hardware, knuckle arms
Fire Extinguisher: Must show full charge on gauge and/or have seal intact
First Aid Kit: Recommended to be as complete as is reasonably possible
Antenna Length: Not longer than 54", unless both ends are firmly attached to the vehicle
Hoses and Lines: Please do not bring a vehicle with excessive leaks to an event. This is damaging to the environment.
Exhaust System: Must be intact. No open exhaust, excessive noise or excessive smoke

Recommended additional items:
Leather gloves and eye protection
Oil spill recovery kit (can be picked up at the Kiosk an no charge (provided by El Dorado County)
Personal toilet and wag bags. At least one person in group must have this. Remember “Pack it In, Pack it Out!”
Body Protection (skid plates and sliders)
Spare: fluids, belts, plug wires, parts
Tire gauge, tire patch kit, means to inflate tires
Tool kit / especially any special vehicle specific parts or tools
Ham or CB Radio
Winch
Rags, Hand Cleaner, Litter Bags
Axe, Shovel
Flashlight, Spare Batteries, Spare Vehicle Key

@YoYoHo, Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Thanks for the detailed reply that all makes a lot more sense and gives me the info I am after.

My dad and I have been planning to run the Rubicon trail on August 16/17th for some time now. I see that this event has been moved close to that date. Are we likely to run into excessive traffic? It looks like all the runs are scheduled for the 14/15th, but it says the event is August 14-18. We would consider joining in, if there is a 16-17th run, but hadn't planned on it.

Sign up for the event, its great, lots of advantages, there should be groups Thurs & Fri.
The trail is not closed, the springs are reserved for the event. You do not have to register for the event to use the trail.
However, it is fun, lots of great people, food, bar, and there is support in the event of an unfortunate event.

My dad and I have been planning to run the Rubicon trail on August 16/17th for some time now. I see that this event has been moved close to that date. Are we likely to run into excessive traffic? It looks like all the runs are scheduled for the 14/15th, but it says the event is August 14-18. We would consider joining in, if there is a 16-17th run, but hadn't planned on it.

Just go ahead and join us, you planned to be on the trail anyway ;).

I found a better way , no funny business

20190418_084955_resized(1).jpg

20190418_084706_resized.jpg

On Sat. the 17th most groups will be into the springs, there will be people associated with the event staying up at Buck Island usually as well. Friday you should find some people coming in as well as Marlins crew. PM Dick(reddingcruiser) as he may be able to put you in contact with others he knows are gonna be on the trail those days, he's got what people have sent in as their intended plan of travel.

I’d like to, but I don’t see anything for August 16-17. Am I missing something?

Everyone tries to get to the Springs by Friday for the evening festivities. You are welcome to do your own Renegade Run and get to the Springs by Friday evening. If you are leaving Loon Lake early Friday morning you should expect to find folks on the trail (or get caught up by some of them) and make it to the Springs by Friday evening in time for the festivities to begin. If you are in a position to leave Sunday morning I highly recommend it in order enjoy the full Saturday experience. Otherwise, unless you are an experienced wheeler I wouldn't suggest going out Cadillac Hill in the dark.

That is helpful; thank you. We only have Fri/Sat to run the trail, due to schedule constraints. This sounds like an awesome event and I'd like to participate more fully, but that is what we have to work with. Those participating will be camped at Rubicon Springs Thursday night to Sunday morning?

Before the event date changed we had envisioned a quite family outing. I'll have my kids, which are 2, 5, and 7 along. My dad has done the trail about a dozen times, but not since the early '80's and I've done plenty of rock crawling, but not that specific trail. If we don't participate in the event do you have a recommendation for travel/camping that we would be out of the way?

Time to start getting serious! Just under three and a half little months left before the Rubithon. Having flown over the Tahoe last week, I'm especially glad we moved the dates! There is still a pile of snow up there.

We still need a couple of volunteers for the Sunday exit crew.

If you are a Trail Lead or Committee member, I'll be reaching out to you over the next week or so to see that everything is on track, or if there's anything I can do to help.

Looking forward to a great (but late) Rubithon!

It was in the SF paper today or yesterday that the high camps at Yosemite will not be opening this year - at all. And, there is great video on Facebook off the crew trying to clear Tioga pass (east road into Yosemite). Quite a year.

It was in the SF paper today or yesterday that the high camps at Yosemite will not be opening this year - at all. And, there is great video on Facebook off the crew trying to clear Tioga pass (east road into Yosemite). Quite a year.
Even HWY50 has to shut down periodically due to snowslides over the pass...

James Bradshaw is the winner for the month of April for an Extra Grand Prize Ticket! Lucky James gets an extra shot at this years Rubithon Grand Prize Raffle. :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Question for you guys . i will have time to do 1 or the other . What do you think would be more helpful ?

1) Atlas transfer case

2) Gears and Front locker .

The Fj gets around fine now with the current gears and i do have a rear locker and Atrac . I just would like to get some of the power back and Lock the front at the same time . What do you guys think ?

Question for you guys . i will have time to do 1 or the other . What do you think would be more helpful ?

1) Atlas transfer case

2) Gears and Front locker .

The Fj gets around fine now with the current gears and i do have a rear locker and Atrac . I just would like to get some of the power back and Lock the front at the same time . What do you guys think ?
Automatic or manual? If it is an automatic transmission, I would do dif gears and locker. I bet you’ll get other opinions though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom