1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 speed in a 79

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by aandy767, Aug 28, 2006.

1. aandy767

aandy767 SILVER Star

I'm looking at a 79 fj40 that has a 3 speed. Why would some one swap it out? (may never know). And how can I tell if I will need a 4speed bell housing and transfer case to fit a 4 speed? If I switch it back.

How would a three speed run 3:70 rear end? Are the top end ratios on a 4 the same as a 3 speed? Is final drive 1:1 ?

Thanks Andy
    And yes I will search ratios I

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  2. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Welcome.

Truck was probably built with leftover pieces from other trucks....

The three speed flywheel housing is not the same as a four speed flywheel housing, they are not interchangeable...

Top gear ratio is 1:1 in a three or four speed Toyota Land Cruiser transmission.

Good luck!

-Steve

3. Ian Rogers

Ian Rogers

it may just have a 3speed t-case

4. aandy767

aandy767 SILVER Star

I don't think it is a piece together. Too many factory looking parts. Smog stuff still in place. Interior original and factory paint, not too bad, also original rust:(. I've been fooled before.

So should a new 4 speed and fly wheel and clutch, bell housing do it? or will I need a TC also?

How does a 3 speed drive around town? Had a 69 chevy 1/2 ton 3 on the tree. Drove ok. 79 so 3:70.

I want a daily diver, will hunt and fish out of it also. Limited trail work.

What do you think?

5. rick_d

rick_d

Marv Spector told me once he got in an indonesian 1981 3sp- which had a 34mm idler shaft case (one piece) on the back.

don't be too sure it does not exist. I only hesitate as US smog issued trucks should not have come with a 3 speed....

6. honk

honk

Media:
    Maybe it's a 4 speed with with a blown gear? VERY unlikely that there was a three speed smog equipped FJ40 sold in this country.

I'd bet on poser being right, there's some very clever cruiser "restorers" out there.

7. aandy767

aandy767 SILVER Star

The guy that has it, said it had been swaped out. No question there. The question is when it was swaped out, did they have to swap the TC and bell housing? And would I be disssapointed in the performance of a 3 speed in a 79.

Seems like any FJ 40 under $5k is going to have issues. A $4k with bad tires and the wrong tranny might not be as attractive as a $4600, with new tread, or a $3200 that needs more body work and tires and interior.

Looking to get into the club, on a budget. I'm not after a factor show room ride. I overhaul an engine, or replace a quarter panel. Just want to know what I am in for.

Thanks Andy

8. aandy767

aandy767 SILVER Star

9. rgentry

rgentry

I think it's great. Do you want to upgrade the three-speed to column shift linkage? Install a vacuum-shift transfer while you're at it? Maybe you could even find a pair of the old driveshafts with the really small bolts that come loose all the time.

What were they thinking? Sounds like a PO from he().

10. LandCrusher'70

LandCrusher'70

I have, what I thought, was smog equipment from my 40. I dont remember all the bits but there was a vacuum valve, some sort of canister in the rear PS wheelwell, a "thing" (nice description) under the center console, and tons of vacuum lines.

11. honk

honk

Media:

Sheesh. So literal, I have to use more caution.

Landcruiser70,
    for you I should have said "VERY unlikely that there was a POST 1974 three speed smog equipped FJ40 sold in this country".

12. grant5127

grant5127

Go find another cruiser...trust Me.....

13. LandCrusher'70

LandCrusher'70

Actually, no. I really thought I was mistaken about what I had. It (to me) was just a bunch of junk I didn't need and ripped it all out.

Thanks for clairfying though.:D

14. 65swb45

65swb45 Supporting Vendor

Three speed equipped 40s were offered overseas into the 1980s. A few, and I emphasize FEW of them did actually turn up stateside.

IF, and that is a big IF, you had one of these rigs, it would have a rather distinctive transfer case in that it would have the wide gear set of the 76-80 4 speed transfer case BUT would have a 10 spline internal on the imput gear AND a 3 speed sized flycut on the transfer case where the tailshaft bearing goes for the tranny, making it virtually useless for anything except putting a 4 speed case onto a 3 speed tranny.

More likely a PO swapped in a standard 3 speed tranny AND t-case. At one time I heard of an individual back east who was 'harvesting' 4 speed trannies and disc brakes out of 76-80 cruisers and replacing them with 3 speeds and drum brake front ends, AND RESELLING the vehicles. :eek: I think that this fate happened to a couple dozen cruisers total.

THis may well be one of those vehicles.

Best

Mark A.

15. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    very interesting, I can't say I have noticed this in any of my tons of non US Land Cruiser lit.......but now I am gonna have to look........not that I don't believe you........because I do. I suppose if fj60-2 could have had front drums will into the the late 80's.....the 3 speed wouldn't be all that bazare......well it still is........why the heck would they have a 3 speed......there is no benifit over the 4 speed.......is there?

16. aandy767

aandy767 SILVER Star

OK there is no mystrery, it has been swaped. Would I be happy with a three speed, and 3:70 rear end? driving mostly around town.
    Or should I plan on spending coin to take it back to a four speed?
    Already found a four spped and TC local.

forget all the smog, import, coulda been from mongolia, stuf.

17. 65swb45

65swb45 Supporting Vendor

John, my understanding on this may well be wrong, but the scuttle that I have gathered over the years is that the foreigners preferred the 3 speed for field service reasons. 4 speed trannies require special pullers to work on; you can OH a 3 speed with a hammer, screwdriver and a block of wood if you had to!

Toyota just provided what the world market wanted. That's good marketing.;)

18. Domek

Domek

To answer your question, NO! Don't do it. Stay away from that cruiser

I bought a so call 79 w/ the same thing, 3speed tranny & case with the exception that mine had 4:10 gears. it also had a tired engine, no speed, loud noise & hot , it had headers. it moved like a tractor I could feel good torque compare to my 4cyl Frontier,but no hi end.

mine ran slow 55mph like I said loud and the heat could be felt on the floor
    that's the worst.

I still have the 3speed combo sitting on the floor.

I did a v8 conversion & put a 4speed combo behind the V8.
    there's a big difference now. lot of power, no heat on my little feet.
    Well, may be not as much as w/ the 6 in line

but that's after I have invested a lot of money into it.

Now my engine has a lot of power where the studs behind the t-case keep loosen up.

It's time to change again for good.

Chevy 700r4 &205 combo w/ a 14 bolt rear end

19. FF LC FREAK

FF LC FREAK

Media:
    Albums:
    So, have you driven this rig yet? If it runs well, I wouldn't worry about the 3 speed that much. I happen to like my 3 on the tree. Its not the best for a dd, but it worked for a lot of people back in the day. Drive it around and see if you can handle just 3 speeds. If it is a decent rig, and you don't like the 3 speed, change it out to a 4 speed. But, like I said, drive it first. Then you can make your decision.

Remember, you can always swap out the tranny (you said you already have one lined up - bonus!). Make your decision based on the whole rig.

Also, comparing a tired 2F with a 3 speed to a 350 with a 4 speed (as in the last post) is comparing apples to oranges. A little extreme in my opinion.

My $.02.

Good luck!

20. grant5127

grant5127

Tell me what you see good in this truck... I've looked at it also....