3" old man emu lift kit installed (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got it from cruiser outfitters sits nice and level now with an aggressive stance
IMG_6444.jpeg
IMG_6441.jpeg
IMG_6438.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks great! Did you go with the Light or Heavy kit? Also, can you post a picture of your front shackle angle? @wngrog and I just put the CO OME Light spring kit in my 55, and I'm a bit concerned about the front shackle angle knowing that the spring will settle a bit causing the shackle angles to get even more extreme.

Thanks,
-mike.

The factory height and length mounting locations for the springs limit your options, it’s been a few years but from memory I did the math and that spring needs like a 6” to 7” shackle to keep it in the ideal operating range. IMHO Kurt did a fantastic job putting this kit together with off the shelf parts and will work just fine for 99% of the pigs out there for the way most are driven and this issue is not unique to the OME kit, all lift springs for the front of a pig will be longer than the factory spring and the mounting locations are the issue. I bent the anti-inversion pin on both my front shackles a couple times bouncing off logs and rocks and ended up changing the front mounting location to allow for a longer shackle and that solved all my issues but my solution is less than ideal and I believe leaf spring sliders would probably be better.

So those replace front shackle mount on the frame to allow you to move the front shackle mounting location forward to correct for the longer spring length?
It’s a little more complicated than just moving forward or back, if we assume I’m correct that your shackle angle should be vertical at full droop and 45° at full compression then no combination of front to back will get you there with a shackle that’s too short by half. You could easily add a shackle that’s say 5” long and that would get you most of the way there but that shackle will hang down really low and if the reason you are making the change has anything to do with rocks and logs then low hanging shackles are less than ideal. Another side effect of longer front shackles is they remove caster so a cut and turn would be mandatory turning this into a big project with questionable gains.

With the physically longer lift spring getting in theory more suspension travel the non-fixed eye has to move fore and aft more than the factory setup by quite a bit and a slider will let you do that without effecting caster or hanging down unreasonably low, it’s really an elegant solution to this problem that most of us can do without any adverse effects.

Sorry if this explanation isn’t clear I’m really better at drinking beer than I am at typing and I’m going off memory from a several years ago, somewhere buried in my build thread I have pictures and the math behind the issue along with the solution I came up with.

Again this is a non-issue for 99% of the pigs I see this lift kit installed on, I know the trails I ran with the lift kit as delivered from cruiser outfit and it never let me down other than bending the anti-inversion pin and allowing the shackles to invert a couple times. Now that I have a different trail pig I’m back in the 99% group trying to avoid trail damage with the pig that has this lift.

Looks great! Did you go with the Light or Heavy kit? Also, can you post a picture of your front shackle angle? @wngrog and I just put the CO OME Light spring kit in my 55, and I'm a bit concerned about the front shackle angle knowing that the spring will settle a bit causing the shackle angles to get even more extreme.

Thanks,
-mike.
went with the budget heavy kit

Looks legit with those big meets. I'll be looking into that. Straight bolt up no moving of the spring perches?
Kit.
Mike

Looks legit with those big meets. I'll be looking into that. Straight bolt up no moving of the spring perches?
Kit.
Mike
CO kit....yeah. Rear was moved

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom