3-FE Throttle Position Sensor Reading (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My truck has not been herself after a HG replacement last year. Like a Land Cruiser should, it still fires up each time, and plugs along like champ. I know how this engine feels when its happy, and it is not there yet.

I wanted to check the TPS sensor, since I am not certain if it was checked after the reinstall. I have the pages of the FSM printed off, and had my voltage meter and feeler gauge. I do not understand the results I am getting. When I put the leads together they read 0, unattached to anything they read ~380 ohms.

The reading between IDL-E2 @ 0.77mm is 430ohms which technically is less than 2.3kO, but the reading really doesn't change no matter where I move the throttle to. On the same terminals moving between no gap and fully open the readings only change from ~380-480ohms and only over a small range of the throttle moving. There are times when I move the clips/leads between the terminals and the meter doesn't change at all; which is strange since that makes me think there is nothing happening inside the TPS.

Basically changing between terminals and opening/closing the throttle really doesn't change much on the meter.

So, am I just messing this up? Can my TPS be this bad and I wouldn't really know? I get a crappy but consistent 10 mpgs, my truck is slow but I wouldn't necessarily say it sputters/hesitates/stalls. Usually the idle is pretty good, drops down to 600 rpms on occasion but is usually at the 650 mark and smooth. I just don't understand electrical properties enough to know if what I am doing is wrong or possible with a bad sensor. A little knowledge/wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

When I put the leads together they read 0, unattached to anything they read ~380 ohms.
If that is on the ohms setting, your meter is broken. Resistance should be infinite if the leads are not touching anything.

If that is on the ohms setting, your meter is broken. Resistance should be infinite if the leads are not touching anything.

Thank you, this will keep me from chasing phantom readings. Its a pretty new Craftsman digital multimeter, but clearly its not reading correctly. Will snag a new one tomorrow and the diagnostics again.

Have you checked the internal battery of the meter? Sounds like it is close to dead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom