3.0 REBUILD?? NEED SOME ADVICE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, been looking for a while to get back in a 1st gen 4runner but they are as high as giraffe (you know what) and I'm working on a budget.

An old friend came across a super clean 1988 SR5 5 speed truck with the 3.slow. The kid had blown the head (shocker) and bought a jasper engine to put in it. Somehow the new engine lost a lot of oil quickly and now has a rod knock.

It already has a torsion bar lift and rear leafs and 35's on it.

I work as a svc advisor at a local GM dealer and I have a tech who could put rod bearings in it but am I crazy? Hopefully it won't need a lot since it's already pretty new. I don't really want to fork over all the cash to buy a 3.4 and harness conversion.

Has anyone out there done anything similar?

Thanks for the input!

This engine is very expensive to rebuild, even the gasket set is really pricey (if you go OEM, which I would), but I'm not even sure they are still available. You'll have a bad case of "while I'm in here" the costs will spiral out of control.

I've done rod bearings with the engine in. It's a day job and if it solves your problems, pretty cheap. If it were me, I'd throw the $100 at it and see if it works. If the engine is toast, I'd just find a good used one. The 3.0 is a pig and in my mind not worth the care and $$$ that a proper rebuild takes.

The 3.4 is a pricey upgrade, but it's twice the engine at least.

Note: If you're going to do the main bearings as well, you'll have to separate the trans from the engine to get the main bearing girdle out.

I had a 1991 4Runner a few years back. I rebuilt the 3.SLO rather than swapping in a 3.4.. .
Rebuilding was a mistake.
Repeat, rebuilding was a mistake.
After the machine work, sourcing parts (new OEM parts where I could, high quality aftermarket where I could not). I was about $500 less than if I would have bought the 'engine swap in a box' kit from Off Road Solutions and a low mileage 3.4.

Well, after new OEM engine wiring harness, and an ECU replacement, I would have been money ahead to have done the 3.4
That was about 10 years ago, and I am **STILL** pissed about it.

Take the 3.SLO out, use it for target practice and swap in ether a 1UZ or 5VZ...

Rehashing this thread. Decided to go ahead and buy it due to being rust free and a fairly unmolested interior and straight body 5 speed SR5 Runner. Going to pull the oil pan off this weekend and check the bearings out since the front chunk is already out. The rear main oil seal is pouring so I'm going to pull it anyway so I'll probably do the mains then.

jasper has been great to work with on there engines , call them they may assist you

Take the 3.SLO out, use it for target practice and swap in _______

Pretty much my thought as soon as I saw the thread title - swap something else in. Lots of options out there that would be far and away better than trying to rebuild the 3.0.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom