2nd gen picture thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FerrisBueller

SILVER Star
Threads
I'll start. Recently bought our Tacoma, so don't have too many photos yet. Here's right after we bought it:

20230817_133530.jpg

Our trail camera shooting a photo after doing some work at our property:

b365c9de-e4a8-4a55-aae4-a2991cd7d726.jpg

Both the Taco and the LC hit 100,000 miles this week.

20231028_153619.jpg

Very fast shipping. Got my RCI sliders, transmission skid, and cat guards (which were a free add-on with the transmission skid). Will install soon.

20231129_180150.jpg

It looks like the transmission skid now comes pre-drilled with the holes for mounting the cat guards:

20231129_180830.jpg

Camped this weekend. Loaded up the back with equipment and had the bike rack with 5 bikes, too, caused a little sag to the point of slight reverse rake. It is probably about time to refresh the suspension with a new set anyway, so a good opportunity to get a slightly heavier duty setup.

1000013880.jpg

Camped this weekend. Loaded up the back with equipment and had the bike rack with 5 bikes, too, caused a little sag to the point of slight reverse rake. It is probably about time to refresh the suspension with a new set anyway, so a good opportunity to get a slightly heavier duty setup.

View attachment 3533005
The stock leaf springs are baddddd. I would recommend deaver stage 1, icon rxt, or archive garage hammer hanger setup with their medium duty springs 🤙🏼

The stock leaf springs are baddddd. I would recommend deaver stage 1, icon rxt, or archive garage hammer hanger setup with their medium duty springs 🤙🏼
Thanks for the recommendation - Icon RTX looked really promising as I was researching last night and this morning, and I almost pulled the trigger. But instead I ended up buying the Bilstein 6112/5160 all around with OME Dakar medium rear springs. I've been incredibly happy with the all-around performance of those Bilsteins on my cruiser so far over the last few years and 50,000 miles. Going for 2.2" lift up front (circlip #10 driver, #8 passenger to account for lean) and the expected 2.75" rear. If it looks too lopsided, then I might increase the front circlips another notch up. Ordered from Headstrong Offroad.

Thanks for the recommendation - Icon RTX looked really promising as I was researching last night and this morning, and I almost pulled the trigger. But instead I ended up buying the Bilstein 6112/5160 all around with OME Dakar medium rear springs. I've been incredibly happy with the all-around performance of those Bilsteins on my cruiser so far over the last few years and 50,000 miles. Going for 2.2" lift up front (circlip #10 driver, #8 passenger to account for lean) and the expected 2.75" rear. If it looks too lopsided, then I might increase the front circlips another notch up. Ordered from Headstrong Offroad.
That setup is good but you'll likely have to trim the leaf closest to the shackle or it will make contact. The ome springs are carry-overs from their hilux products and, the leaf rubs the tacoma shackles due to the narrowing shape.

That setup is good but you'll likely have to trim the leaf closest to the shackle or it will make contact. The ome springs are carry-overs from their hilux products and, the leaf rubs the tacoma shackles due to the narrowing shape.

Super interesting. Angle grinder should fix that real quick... from those photos it looks like I need to trim it narrower by around 1/2" on both inside and outside edges.

Thanks for yet another tip - you've saved my bacon. Kinda crazy that OME / ARB wouldn't test fit these for the vehicles that they say are compatible...

@sleeoffroad I'm curious if you have seen this issue ^ with the OME Dakar springs for the 2nd gen Tacomas (since that's what you sell in your kits) and do you work around it by trimming the leaf? @Taco2Cruiser have you seen this?

@sleeoffroad I'm curious if you have seen this issue ^ with the OME Dakar springs for the 2nd gen Tacomas (since that's what you sell in your kits) and do you work around it by trimming the leaf? @Taco2Cruiser have you seen this?
Yes i've seen it in person. But I also know of two guys who have no issues. Unfortunately, I know of more contact issue complaints than of no issue complaints.

Another thing that I've had issues with, is the dakar springs have not been very good to me (installing on customer's Tacomas) with staying quite. Just lots of squeaking that despite me using all my little trucks to quiet down. As a very big ARB fan boy, I really don't recommend 2/3 gen Tacoma OME leaf springs anymore, and guide people to at least go with Icon leafs. Don't run Icon shocks due to too many seal issues these days, but their leafs (manufactured by someone else) have been very good to my customers over the last couple years.

Super interesting. Angle grinder should fix that real quick... from those photos it looks like I need to trim it narrower by around 1/2" on both inside and outside edges.

Thanks for yet another tip - you've saved my bacon. Kinda crazy that OME / ARB wouldn't test fit these for the vehicles that they say are compatible...
No problem! I'm glad to drop any info that helps

Yes i've seen it in person. But I also know of two guys who have no issues. Unfortunately, I know of more contact issue complaints than of no issue complaints.

Another thing that I've had issues with, is the dakar springs have not been very good to me (installing on customer's Tacomas) with staying quite. Just lots of squeaking that despite me using all my little trucks to quiet down. As a very big ARB fan boy, I really don't recommend 2/3 gen Tacoma OME leaf springs anymore, and guide people to at least go with Icon leafs. Don't run Icon shocks due to too many seal issues these days, but their leafs (manufactured by someone else) have been very good to my customers over the last couple years.

Good feedback, thanks. I'll see if Headstrong can change my order to the Icon RTX spring pack that I had previously been looking at. Price is similar. I don't think they've shipped the order yet.

Caught them just in time before shipping, they are swapping them out for the RXT.

Cleared a 1-vehicle wide turnaround loop part way through the property.

1000015158.jpg

1000015157.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom