2LT turbo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, school me on turbo. What is normal for a 2LT?

Over the course on my ownership, the green turbo light has generally been on.

I had some air leaks and replaced a hose that was attached to the aluminum duct.

In the beginning, I had the green turbo light on most of the time. Now, it comes on around 2000 rpm's in 2nd gear. It will go off for a while if just cruising around town at a steady speed. It seems to come on only when there is a load on the engine.

What is normal?

Thanks

I think it comes on around 5psi or so. So yes, it should come on only when under some load; usually with higher speed driving it would be on all the time. At full throttle it should come on earlier than 2000rpm I would think (I forget, as my engine is no longer stock). If you have concerns the turbo is on it's way out, you could get a boost gauge to better monitor whats going on, and inspect the compressor/turbine as well as shaft radial/axial play.

Ok, that helps. It does seem to run ok.

Thanks.

@jmylie , my Green light illuminates at roughly 2000 RPM regardless of what gear I am in, generating any boost. Yes, I am generating some boost at 2000 RPM (any boost, and way less than 5 psi).
If you want to get technical, it may come on at slightly less than 2000 RPM, maybe 1900 or 1950.
Hope that helps.

I'm not trying to contradict Nick, but just reporting when my boost green light illuminates on my LJ70.

Last edited:
@jmylie , Mine Green light illuminates at roughly 2000 RPM regardless of what gear I am in, generating any boost. Yes, I am generating some boost at 2000 RPM (any boost, and way less than 5 psi).
If you want to get technical, it may come on at slightly less than 2000 RPM, maybe 1900 or 1950.
Hope that helps.

I'm not trying to contradict Nick, but just reporting when my boost green light illuminates on my LJ70.

Since writing that post, I've noticed the light comes on closer to around 2-3 psi.

In fact I can get it to come on with the truck parked by turning up the manual throttle adjust until the turbo starts boosting. I forget exactly where it comes on, but I do get 5psi at 3000rpm this way. :)

Not to beat a dead horse, but just took spin and brought a pencil and paper.
2000 RPM and some boost was a bit of a SWAG but pretty close to reality for Green Turbo Light Illumination on a 2LT-II.

> 1.6 psi of Boost triggers the Green Turbo Light on my 2L-TII in any gear.
1st Gear I don't develop 1.6 psi until about 2400 RPM
2nd - 4th gears while shifting the green light really never goes out since it is developing >1.6 psi
(While speed shifting I dropped it into Neutral and at around 1600 rpm, Boost dropped < 1.6 psi and the green light extinguished. But this was just intention test to see where the light went out)
5th gear, >1.6 psi seems to develop around 1800 rpm.
I drove around in all gears with .5 to 1.4 psi and the green boost light never illuminated regardless of gear or rpm range.

I've never played with or adjusted any fuel or boost settings.
My setup is stock as far as I know. So if you are running a stock setup, I'd say the say the Green Turbo Light indicates >1.6 psi

As a side note, I believe the RED Turbo Light comes on at >10psi, Anyone?

Hope that helps.
Don

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom