2L fuel filter wiring question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4Ruster

2LT Sufferer
SILVER Star
Threads
In the middle of a diesel swap, pulled a 2L out of a 1984 2WD pickup, putting in my 1986 4runner. On the fuel filter housing, there is a couple wires coming off it and a sensor at the bottom. Can anyone explain what the wires and sensors are for? Thanks!
InkedIMG-3194_LI.jpg

Try a wire clip on upper plug which goes to the dash, light in dash for sedimenter should illuminate to let you know if you have water in your fuel. Bottom should have a drain in order to drop the water as fuel being "lighter" floats above.

Try a wire clip on upper plug which goes to the dash, light in dash for sedimenter should illuminate to let you know if you have water in your fuel. Bottom should have a drain in order to drop the water as fuel being "lighter" floats above.
I don't have the diesel gauge cluster or the diesel wiring harness.

Okay I kinda figured it out. 1 appears to be a fuel heater. 3 is a water warning thing. I assume 2 is for the sediment warning?

FWIW, fuel heater isn't a requirement, winter diesel as is commonly found here in the great white north will treat you just fine. A fuel conditioner isn't a bad idea for a number of reasons including anti-gel properties in case you get a gulp of summer fuel somewhere. My '90 LN106 only has the water warning, haven't seen it come on in the decade I've had the truck, living in Alberta. Minus 40 is a real thing.

If you jumper the plug end going to the dash the sensor should light up.
Luckily we tend to have decent fuel as mine has never lit up unless tested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom