2H Very slow start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello eveyone,
I have recently bought a FJ60 2H 1986 and am having some issues with starting.
After i let the plugs heat up and turn the key over it takes more than 30 seconds for the engine to start. It is a slow coughing start but eventually I get there.
This is in cold weather (15 to -10C) never had the opportunity to start it in hotter conditions yet.
Once it runs it runs great and easily starts up again so it is just cold start that is the problem.

I have put some injector cleaner in the tank and that helped a bit by cutting down the starting time by maybe 15 sec.
If I charge the batteries overnight that also does a big difference the first time after a charge but it quickly goes back to the initial problem. And the batteries are fairly healthy. The indicator is about 2/3 from full.

I am wondering if there is anything else other than the batteries I should check to make the starting more efficient. I am pretty new to this stuff but feel that at this rate I will burn something out by starting it this way.

Is it a converted fj60 or a hj60?
It sounds like your glow plugs may not be working.
12 or 24v? Its worth having the battery's load tested they can show a full charge but drop badly under load when they are tired. Mine had a similar issue that turned out to be the battery's. Then another where the glow plug timer got wet lh kick panel.

12 or 24v? Its worth having the battery's load tested they can show a full charge but drop badly under load when they are tired. Mine had a similar issue that turned out to be the battery's. Then another where the glow plug timer got wet lh kick panel.
Sorry I meant to write HJ60

Sorry I meant to write HJ60
I meant to write HJ60, and it’s a 24v system.

Ok thanks for the tip. I will check both batteries to begin with.

Glow-plugs or fuel air leak?
Glow plug is good to know time of replacement anyway (and to start maintenance record)
One bad plug has big impact on bad starting.
The test only shows bad or good, not inbetween so 6 new is best, now find out what it needs, many type used from 6 to 21 volt, see topic about glow-plugs and confirm whats in it now, (might be wrong)
You can use block heater or heated garage or boiling water over the engine to try?

With good plugs it should start direct in minus - 18 degrees celcius, without any hickup.

Last edited:
Glow plugs should be used at this temperature. Hook up a battery charger booster in addition to the batteries to see if it helps. Run booster in engine start mode. If it starts in 2-3 turns it is your batteries. I use two batteries with at 900 CCA each. It start in 1-2 turns at most with glow plugs. You might also want check your starter. A good rebuild always helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom