2h engine mounts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have everything taken apart and I wondered if you would confirm something for me. By all estimation the engine needs to move to the rear of the vehicle. My left side makes since moving the mount to the rear 23.5 mm. However the right side has me confused, by our previous conversation it needs to move FORWARD 37.6mm. Does this make sense to you? As stated befor my engine mount is all the way forward on the block. Power steering pump bolts to it. Pic below
Thanks

Curious.. I will take a close look at this photo tonight and recompare with my vehicle.. sorry for the delay. 8-10hrs time.

I'll run out to my truck shortly and see what I can get. It's fully assembled now, so not sure how access will be.

Ok I can’t get those dimensions. The inner fender skirts block the shock towers, and I’m aftaid of breaking the clips trying to remove them. I did grab a few more photos, from above and below, though not sure how much these will help.

3C2F1E42-B0E8-4FC5-83F6-2DB61C6CC7C8.jpeg

BCAFBAC7-FC9A-4A88-AA28-65F9B4E42EC4.jpeg

A91B1FED-70E0-4F3E-B90B-B10DD3D5067F.jpeg

3007916D-3C01-49CC-8D07-B73E946DE272.jpeg

DE87B85A-4023-4A0C-9457-033EB8CF8BEC.jpeg

BD03BABF-DAED-4590-ACCD-831EE2FC943E.jpeg

3CFBB32A-8DCC-4491-AB4E-03628406F1D5.jpeg

Georgebj60 thanks. If not too much trouble, perhaps a couple measurements. There are what seem to be 4 matching bolt holes one side is for the steering sector depending on RH drive or LH drive. Possible measurement from center of those holes to the side of the frame mount? Great looking set up you have there. Your valve cover is considerably closer to the firewall than mine. This validates all the work I’m doing on mine. Also is there a heat shield on your firewall behind the exhaust down pipe?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Let me know if these help. As for the heat shield, the '84 FJ60 did have it, but my donor '87 HJ60 did not, so I removed it from the '84 before I put the 2H in. I also attached a couple pics of the 2 donor trucks. Red one is the rust free FJ60, blue is the rusty 2H donor.
tempImageP3NDrD.png
tempImageuTPBZl.png
tempImagefapEPl.png
tempImageyCc3Ww.png
IMG_6376.JPG
IMG_20180413_141856.jpg

Great, can you attach a pic of the same measurement on the LH side? On the right hand side you are showing 2” from center of hole to side of frame mount, mine is 1 5/8. I believe it should still be moved. Thoughts?
I believe the left hand side will be off by more

Mine shows pretty much 1-3/4" exactly for the motor mount. I think 1-1/2" is pretty accurate for the valve cover bolt, but I'll double-check. Ok I'll grab the LH side.

Also I didn't see this mentioned anywhere, but remember the 2H sits completely crooked in the frame. Is yours straight, or is the front angled toward the LH side?

Great, can you attach a pic of the same measurement on the LH side? On the right hand side you are showing 2” from center of hole to side of frame mount, mine is 1 5/8. I believe it should still be moved. Thoughts?
I believe the left hand side will be off by more
not being a dick, i ran a straight edge across the pic of the tape n got 1 13/16" c.l. of hole to frame mount

Ok thanks for that. I will compare in the morning. I didn’t know the frame holes were different for the steering box. I was trying to find something common on both frames to measure from. My engine appears to be sitting more straight in the frame than it should. I also have my interior removed in the front so that I can reference the shifter location. There has been a little trimming done “3/8” on the front of the removable cover that screws to the floor pan. I assume they did this because of the missed engine mount location. I feel like I’m on the right track to fixing this, I just hate it wasn’t done properly before.

hmm, very interesting. Slight but relevant diversion.

I am about to pick up a mint fj75 3f 1992 chassis tomorrow to fit my 1986 2h, from all research I have done, it should have the same mounts as the hj75 2h 1986. Well the factory manual has all dimensions as the same but no depiction of the actual mounts.

This is news to me of the 60 series having different mounts from the 3f and 2h. I knew the 60 series had different mounts to the 75 series though. What a pia, it would muck up alignment of everything else.

Gosh, I may have to move the mounts too. As it is, the 2h in the hj75, the rocker cover is very close to the fire wall too, bit too close really.

Beautiful to watch you fellas help each other out.

Not sure how accurate this will show. Basically I pulled a string with a level to the center of the frame. Georgebj60 what is different about the steering box holes? Is there another place to get measurements from? Your bolts seem to be in a rectangle like mine.

The difference is subtle, but the early steering box hole pattern is in a square, and the later boxes have the upper and lower holes offset a bit. See this link for more info.

The difference is subtle, but the early steering box hole pattern is in a square, and the later boxes have the upper and lower holes offset a bit. See this link for more info.
Got it. I see the “offset” on mine now. Do you think that changed the rear hole location? Meaning it would throw off our measurements? If it doesn’t, then I potentially would need to move the right side back 1/4” and the left side back 1”. That would fix the reference measurement from the valve cover nut to the firewall also the top of the h55f sitting more appropriately in the tunnel cover

It looks to me like the top holes are the same between the 2 boxes, and only the bottom holes were shifted. But that's just working off of the photos, so not very accurate. Someone must have some measurements on these 2 different hole patterns to say for sure. Calling @CenTXFJ60. Jimmy - do you have 2 of these steering boxes kicking around?
Also calling @ceylonfj40nut. Is your HJ in a state to get any firm measurements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom