2F Manifold seals - What goes here? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The Toyota parts diagrams appear to list 2 parts that seal the joints of the 3 piece exhaust manifold for the 2F.

Ring gaskets for 2F 3 pc manifold 17151-61010
Gasket springs for 2F 3 pc manifold 17152-61010

I see 2 parts that look like small piston rings in grooves of the end castings.
To me these could just as easily be called "Ring Gaskets" or "Gasket Springs" but they look like 2 of the same part.
I don't see 2 different parts.

The joints feel a little loose as they are right now so I'd like to replace whatever is necessary before bolting it all together.

Any help identifying the best way to assemble the 3 piece manifold would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Cleg.

DSC00305 (2).jpg

Underneath the rings, are the springs.
The springs have a octagonal shape, and are intended to push the rings outward to 'seal' the horns to the exhaust manifold.
If you pry out the ring you will see the spring in the groove.
I did this some time ago with a disassembled I/E manifold.
hth

Edit- do you have the intake separated from the exhaust? Replacing the heatriser gaskets and messing with the flapper?
As for keeping the pieces aligned, some have tack welded the assembly for flat finish of the gasket surface, and when installing, keeping things loose / adjustable until fitted and then tightening the fasteners onto the head. Hopefully others will chime in here?

Last edited:
Why did you take that apart? Was it leaking? Most people do not force that joint apart unless faced with a horrible leak. Clean everything down to bare metal and lube the ring grooves with antiseaze. Then its just a matter of compressing the rings and putting it back together. If it didn't leak before I wouldn't replace the rings. If it did leak I would inspect them very closely for nicks etc...

Last edited:
Underneath the rings, are the springs.
The springs have a octagonal shape, and are intended to push the rings outward to 'seal' the horns to the exhaust manifold....

Thanks for the description of how it goes together. That's what I needed.
I couldn't tell what the rings were made of an was afraid they would shatter if I tried to take them out of the grooves.

Took one out and everything appears to be in good shape.
When the exhaust manifold was removed from the head, the ends were free to rotate without a lot of effort.

Seemed too loose to be providing a good seal but it looks like this is the design.
I'm just going to clean up what is there to re-assemble.

I have no way of knowing if the seal was leaking previously.
It is off of a 2F that was out of the vehicle when I bought it.

Thanks again for the help

I took mine apart to get ceramic coated. It went back together no problem with only a little twisting effort and it doesn't leak at all.

Replaced mine when I did the gasket, it made since to get ahead of any potential leaks. But hey....that's just me.

You know as flaky as that design seems to be, I have never seen one leak there.

The rings, springs and bores appear to be in good shape.
Normally I'd replace something like this while it is apart but as far as I can tell each ring + spring pair are $25 x 4 grooves.
For me that $100 can be better spent someplace else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom