2F Cam plug Sanity check! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

So when i got my '40 it had a dodgy gearbox, so i replaced it, with a rebuilt along with the RMS, OPG, pushrod cover gasket, clutch etc, the whole shabang. All this was to solve a fairly constant oil leak. At the time i was pushed for time as i had to be out of the garage i was using....

aaannnnddd...

I didn't do the plugs in the back of the head, even though i think i have the correct ones, and thus i still have the leak.

Could the wise men/women of 'mud please confirm the correct toyota part numbers for the plugs in the back of Mr 2F as per the blatantly stolen picture below, as ive got the doubts since the parts desk guy was a bit vauge.

Thanks!!!!
attachment-1.jpg

The parts i have are

96411-45000
and
90331-48010

one of these is definately wrong, i think...

Hey! That's my 2F!!!:)

Ed, your 2F is leaking at the rear oil gallery plug. ;)

Actually, that is the F and a half I pulled out and replaced with the 2F. It lives at IDave's or the scrap yard closest to him! I took that pic to show the positions/locations of the cam plug and the main oil galley plug.

13511b  plug, expansion(for camshaft)
90331‑48010 od=48 1 $2.37

11431b  plug, tight, no.2(for cylinder block)
90330‑24013 od=24 2 $1.11

Thanks Jim! Legend.

I have the right one for the Cam, Phew.

In terms of installation, is the slightly smaller socket method appropriate? And a skim coat of Permatex #2? I've never done freeze/cam plugs so any advice appreiceated.

My plan is to support the motor with my Engine hoist and a jack stand with 2x4 packer under the pan. Your thoughts callers?

Thanks Jim! Legend.

I have the right one for the Cam, Phew.

In terms of installation, is the slightly smaller socket method appropriate? And a skim coat of Permatex #2? I've never done freeze/cam plugs so any advice appreiceated.

My plan is to support the motor with my Engine hoist and a jack stand with 2x4 packer under the pan. Your thoughts callers?

Actually, should be a hardening sealant, right?

Yes, P-tex#1 or equivalent.

Use a blunt tool to flatten the welch plug. Note how in the first picture a punch was used to "flatten" the plug, and it actually went beyond flat and started to pull the plug inside the engine. Hence the leakage.

Yes, P-tex#1 or equivalent.

Use a blunt tool to flatten the welch plug. Note how in the first picture a punch was used to "flatten" the plug, and it actually went beyond flat and started to pull the plug inside the engine. Hence the leakage.

Thanks for your help Jim!:beer:

pardon my ignorance... can someone point to the oil galley and cam plugs in the first post pic?

Cam plug is on the right, or P/S.

Yes, on the first picture, the oil gallery Welch plug is on the left-hand side, around 10:30, with a crescent-shaped puddle of black oil at the bottom of it. The plug is nominally 25 mm in diameter.

The 'oil gallery' plug referred to just above this post (with a picture) is located just above and behind the (I think) no. 4 spark plug.

Damn, the welch plug is discontinued. Can I use any 25mm freeze plug?

The parts fiche indicates the oil gallery welch plugs are 24 mm.

The professional rebuilders indicate that they drill and tap the hole for an appropriate-sized pipe plug, obviating any worries about leaking welch plugs...

ok that's a good approach. will have to shop for a tool to thread it and match up with the correct bolt.

Anyone already have a line of sight on this die and bolt, please post up.

Damn, the welch plug is discontinued. Can I use any 25mm freeze plug?

Are you sure the oil galley welch plug is discontinued? Last time I used some there was no mention of a phase-out. Hard to believe there isn't a giant bin full of them somewhere in a Toyota warehouse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom