285/60/18 vs 285/6518 KO2 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NLE

Threads
Hello Mud-goers,

I recently picked up a 2 row grey '21 LC Heritage and have been looking to put more aggressive tires on the truck. I've decided to go with Ko2's since I've used them before and love their on/off-road manners for my use-cases. I've seen a lot of pics of members running 285/65/18s with no rubbing however these are E-rated tires that are slightly bigger than stock. How is ride quality and MPG around town / highway? (asking because range is important to me as I don't have an LRA)

Alternatively, I was thinking about going with the stock size 285/60/18 Ko2's but I've yet to see photos of what they look like. Is anyone running this size on their 200 series rig willing to share some photos? Are they too small or look disproportionate?

Hoping to make a decision on size sometime this week. Thanks!

Snapped these stock sized pics a while back as I had the same question - but never saw the owner come out of wherever that was. Hope it helps.

B18A7BA6-DBAB-4F4C-8325-6BF741707A75.jpeg
165480FB-3964-4A5E-B2C8-EC89050D9096.jpeg
DD6C4115-D641-404A-86B6-FE94F9ABD987.jpeg

I run k02s in the 285/65 size. I dont notice any difference in ride or fuel economy. If you are used to the driving dynamics of a off-road focused tire then you have nothing to worry about it. Go for it.

Hello Mud-goers,

I recently picked up a 2 row grey '21 LC Heritage and have been looking to put more aggressive tires on the truck. I've decided to go with Ko2's since I've used them before and love their on/off-road manners for my use-cases. I've seen a lot of pics of members running 285/65/18s with no rubbing however these are E-rated tires that are slightly bigger than stock. How is ride quality and MPG around town / highway? (asking because range is important to me as I don't have an LRA)

Alternatively, I was thinking about going with the stock size 285/60/18 Ko2's but I've yet to see photos of what they look like. Is anyone running this size on their 200 series rig willing to share some photos? Are they too small or look disproportionate?

I have the BFG KO2 LT285/65/18s, have not really noticed much of a difference in ride quality but have noticed maybe a 1mpg drop in vehicle reported freeway mileage- offset somewhat by the 3% increase in circumference vs stock tire. In town mileage is brutal either way. Stock suspension, no rubbing. In my opinion a decent tire.

65DCE502-9A52-43A6-90BE-FB81ADFEF88B.jpeg

I installed 285/65 KO2's on my 2021 HE about a month ago with ~3800 miles on the clock. I haven't done a careful comparison but I think I'm seeing a very slight MPG hit... maybe 0.5mpg or less. Hardly noticeable if anything and it may even be that I simply have my foot in the go pedal more than when it was brand new. I have, however, noticed a noticeably firmer ride with the KO2's. It still rides quiet and smooth but definitely firmer because of the E Load rating.

edit: typo corrected.

Last edited:
I installed 265/65 KO2's on my 2021 HE about a month ago with ~3800 miles on the clock. I haven't done a careful comparison but I think I'm seeing a very slight MPG hit... maybe 0.5mpg or less. Hardly noticeable if anything and it may even be that I simply have my foot in the go pedal more than when it was brand new. I have, however, noticed a noticeably firmer ride with the KO2's. It still rides quiet and smooth but definitely firmer because of the E Load rating.
Did you mean 285/65? I didn't know folks ran 265/65 as these would be pretty narrow.

Hello Mud-goers,

Here are a few of my stock size (285/60/18) KO2s. If I were to do it again, I'd probably go with the 65s but currently on tired original OEM suspension and tow a travel trailer a lot so stayed with the stock size to play it safe.
IMG_20190525_160637.jpg
PXL_20201122_205729868.jpg
PXL_20201029_191244637.jpg

For me, i am staying with stock size…for a few reasons:

1. Keep the OEM spare tire in place and save a few bucks. (But eventually, i will have to replace it due to age…but probably something cheap since KO2s are pretty damn durable.)

2. Keep everything close to stock performance as possible. Increasing diameter may affect other stuff too (acceleration, braking, fuel economy, and wear & tear on brakes):

3. For some reason, 285/65/18 tires are VERY expensive! Thus, IF i ever want to upsize, then may be 275/65/18?

I can't comment on 285/65, I decided to go with stock 285/60 D range KO2s, as you can see KO2s do add substantial weight , on road I do feel the acceleration and braking suffer a bid hence the MPG, ride is very decent compare to the OEM tyres, however at fwy speeds if you hit potholes heavier tires do make the LC suspension little unsettled. As for KO2 road noise it's really not a big difference, hope this helps.

IMG_5167.jpg

IMG_1366.jpg

IMG_1368.jpg

I was running Hankook Dyno Pro ATM tires 285/65/18 on OEM wheels. Now I’m running Tundra BBS 275/65/18 Michelin LTX AT2 tires. Braking , accelerating , steering, engine braking, ride quality have improved so much I don’t care if my rig looks bad ass or not. Performance is what I’m after. I don’t crawl on rocks and do the gnar. Dirt motor ways, snow , highway driving is what I do. Unless I re gear I’m not running 285/65/18. Not worth the performance Loss.

Thanks for all of these helpful responses!! Is anyone able to get 400 miles to a stock tank on the highway with 285/65/18s? I'm planning on doing a lot of long distance driving and hoping to squeeze this on long trips if I go with the larger size.

Thanks for all of these helpful responses!! Is anyone able to get 400 miles to a stock tank on the highway with 285/65/18s? I'm planning on doing a lot of long distance driving and hoping to squeeze this on long trips if I go with the larger size.
400 miles on a tank is mathematically possible at just over 16mpgs. I highly doubt there are many here that have stretched a tank that far as the low fuel light comes on so dang prematurely on the 200. I dont think I have ever got to 300 when I was all stock.
When I had lt285/65r18, general grabber atx, tires I was getting 12-15mpgs. My recommendation Is if you plan on going with a LT E rated tire go 285/65. If you want the plush ride of a P tire stay with the stock size.

Thank you for these very insightful posts! I think I'm going to go with the slightly larger 285/65/18s.

However, I'm now starting to consider the Toyo AT3 vs KO2s... I know I know.. this is a never ending topic and people have opinions on one side or another. I'm curious to hear if anyone here has had experience with both to share.

Thank you for these very insightful posts! I think I'm going to go with the slightly larger 285/65/18s.

However, I'm now starting to consider the Toyo AT3 vs KO2s... I know I know.. this is a never ending topic and people have opinions on one side or another. I'm curious to hear if anyone here has had experience with both to share.
Only having experience with k02s id go with the Toyos. Newer design and reports are its substantially better in wet weather. Another tire size to consider is lt275/70r18. About 1/2" Taller, slightly narrower but not much. Also its a cheaper tire, 285/65r18s are way overpriced for its size. Having run lt285/60r18, lt285/65r18 and lt275/70r18 I will now only look to use either lt275/70r18 or if I can make lt285/70r18 work with my wheel offset I'll go up to this 34" size.

How is snow performance on the AT3? I spend a good amount of time in the winter driving on winter roads to ski resorts

Reviews have been positive for snow use. It’s one of the top AT rated tires for snow and has the snowflake emblem on the sidewall. Nothing will beat dedicated snow tires but for an AT tire it should be at the top of your list.

Only having experience with k02s id go with the Toyos. Newer design and reports are its substantially better in wet weather. Another tire size to consider is lt275/70r18. About 1/2" Taller, slightly narrower but not much. Also its a cheaper tire, 285/65r18s are way overpriced for its size. Having run lt285/60r18, lt285/65r18 and lt275/70r18 I will now only look to use either lt275/70r18 or if I can make lt285/70r18 work with my wheel offset I'll go up to this 34" size.
running 275/70/18s on the LX and they were CONSIDERABLY cheaper.....$215 per tire. I dunno if the dealership had a sale or if it was because I was buying 5 tires and 5 TRD BBS wheels, but I've never seen anything come close to that price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom