24 Alt and Starter rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bcsteel

SILVER Star
Threads
There aren’t any shops up here in the north that will touch my spare alternator and starter. Would like to have a spare rebuilt on shelf. Anyone know of a good shop on the island or lower mainland that won’t Fawk this up?

Brian Roberts Auto Electric in Victoria.

Starter should be easy...I've had mine done and they are very basic.

Alternator on the other hand...my 1989 BJ74 24v Alternator is apparently impossible to rebuild (easily). They thought they could do it but when I thought it in they said parts were not available for my specific alternator.

Others with 80 and 60 Series have had better luck.

They looked at mine, with external regulator, and traced it to the regulator and said my alternator was fine...and to pray it never needs replacing.

Honestly, for me because my alternator is also a vacuum pump, I would keep my alternator as a vacuum source, build a bracket, install a new 24volt alternator from a piece of equipment that's easily accessible, get a longer belt, and be done with it.

Replacement cost of my alternator is over $1000usd apparently, so yeah...hope you find a suitable solution :)

I know your asking for a shop but you can do this easier than finding a non crooked shop. As for shops It’s dead simple if any can’t handle it don’t trust them with anything else. Mac's Auto Electric here in Victoria can get me brushes I’m sure they would work on it.

For the starter all you needs is Two contacts, one plunger and two brushes the bearings are always good In my experience. Part numbers for a gear reduction starter 78-90ish
Plunger Magnet 28235-35080
Starter Contact Kit 28226-72010
Starter Contact Kit 28226-72080

I believe most of the other parts are not available however almost all other Toyota starters are similar and use similar parts.

The big thing i found is to scrub the corrosion from the mating surfaces between the bellhousing, nose cone and the steel starter motor housing as it grounds threw the body and when it’s corroded it causes the starter to run slow.
BB17E874-D11B-4602-8F8A-E4C8D490648F.jpeg

CD43D4CD-760E-454D-B2FC-8F10E82E27E4.jpeg

D424BC4F-6A64-440B-B7F5-59C3A8194566.jpeg

The alternator is much the same just two brushes and bearings need replacement generally the diodes and voltage regulator should be fine if it worked before. I don’t know about others but I wasent able to find a new 24v Voltage regulator anyway. Here’s the part number for brushes for my 12v Probably the same? 021630-0530

Last edited:
eBay Australia has some new alternators and regs on there usually. Found a 24v reg for my hj61 a couple years ago when I thought mine was toast. Turned out to be a bad contact in the plug so I didn't go through with it.

Quick phone search. There's a few options out there for new if you can adapt a bracket. Think I'll go that route if mine s***s the bed.

Not sure who this is...also don't see a price. I don't fbook. :meh:

Price is a bit better on this one.

I'm in the same boat. Have a spare starter, maybe between my two spare alts I can make one good one? It would be nice to have a spare handy, rather than be stuck waiting for a boat.

Also time I looked into the turbo on my 61...never ends. :lol:

Thanks for the info guys, never ends is right. I’m not fbook either so I’ll have figure a way around that...sounds like the starter is easy I’ll do some digging on the alt.

I ordered my 12V starter and alternator from these guys. They should have 24V stuff.
My bill for an 80 amp alternator and starter - alternator brand new Bosch unit, starter was quality
rebuild, was $500 including shipping to Canada. I phoned the sales guy on skype, that cost about
$1. The guy was really helpful and the order was completed online. DHL is the best courier from
there, but Australia Post is obviously air and both have tracking and reasonable rates.

🤪. Ozautoelectrics.com Forgot to attach this morning. Long photo days are starting to blurr
my brain

Last edited:
Thanks for adding that I know what you mean. That’s tough work. Grinds you down slowly.

Thanks for adding that I know what you mean. That’s tough work. Grinds you down slowly.
Yeah, got into it today with F16 jockeys. Don’t like me in their sandbox,..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom