22re rebuild an AC question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,
I have 88 single cab 22re 4x4. Its has 265k on its original engine and the timing cover recently started leaking/cracked equalling milky oil. I had decided to rebuild the 22re myself but a neighbor down the road just offered me a complete 93 pickup 22re 2wd with 170k that was sidestriped by something big this winter. It drives and has working AC but the passenger side is totally mangled. He offered it to me for $500 what he said was 'scrap value'.

Im now thinking about pulling the 93 engine replacing the timing chain w/metal guides, oil pump and h2o pump then running it as is. The clutch and front end on the 88 was done just a year or two ago.

Does that seem like a good idea to you guys?

I also have a question about the AC. My 88 never had it. The 93 does... Should I keep the AC componets from the 93 and can they be frankenstiened to work in the 88?
I know they changed from r12 to r134 during this time. Has anybody tried this or am i wasting my time.
Thanks.

I think as a quick fix running the 93 engine is just dandy. That way, if you want you can rebuild your old engine at your leisure and still have a driver.

Everything on that 93 will bolt right in. No "Frankenstein" stuff. Must use it all though. As far as refrigerants go, there is no issue here. See what the under hood sticker on the 93 says it has and run with it. Since you have the entire rig, you will have all the necessary components including plugs on the 93 if they happen to be different than your 88. The wire schematic should be the same. Just the plug itself might be different. HTH

I ended up selling the 88 last week to my neighbor with the 93 pickup. He made me an offer i could not refuse imho.
The result of that was some serious sellers remorse for two days. After a local CL search i found a unmolested 84 4x4 rcsb for $700 3 hrs from me. I was the second person to look at it but the the first person to bring a trailer. It is in great shape, the frame and cab are rust and dent free, typical cancer on bed, but its a NM desert truck i have no complaints. It even has AC!
More questions to come its definitely my new project.
Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom