2023 GX questions (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First, let me thank you for this forum and all of you that contribute to it. I learned quite a bit through here and a couple other Lexus forums over the past 3 weeks. I am currently looking to switch from driving a truck for 20 years to either a GX or Sequoia. I don't need the bed space in my truck anymore and it is just wasted space, plus driving a crew cab with a 6.5' bed is starting to get annoying. I want an SUV for vacations/occasional people hauling and have decided to go Lexus/Toyota finally due to the amazing reliability. I test drove the GX and I really liked the way it handled. Plus, GX owners are not lying... it feels solid like a tank. I can't find a Sequoia to even test drive. Plus, every one I have seen listed online are marked up by at least $10,000, even the SR5 or Limited which is what I am looking at.

One thing that about the GX I drove that I really found irritating was when you push up slightly on the turn signal, you only get 1 flash. Most vehicles these days give 3 flashes. Not a big issue, I know, but I am surprised that turn signal is like that. When I mentioned it to the salesperson, they didn't even understand what I was talking about and told me to push the turn signal handle up all the way :confused:. Duh! The salesperson did not have an impressive knowledge about the vehicle.

But anyway, on to my questions.

Is that turn signal flash something that can be programmed?

Am I correct that zero information has been released on the 2024 GX engine? So it could be the same V6 as the LX or it could be a 4-cylinder?

I haven't made my way to the LX forum yet, but does anyone have any insight on how that V6 is performing in the LX?

I am torn between pulling the trigger on a '23 GX with it's tried and true performance and average cabin technology or waiting for a '24 GX which should have updated interior technology. Do you think the interior would resemble the current LX?

Thanks again for sharing!

First, let me thank you for this forum and all of you that contribute to it. I learned quite a bit through here and a couple other Lexus forums over the past 3 weeks. I am currently looking to switch from driving a truck for 20 years to either a GX or Sequoia. I don't need the bed space in my truck anymore and it is just wasted space, plus driving a crew cab with a 6.5' bed is starting to get annoying. I want an SUV for vacations/occasional people hauling and have decided to go Lexus/Toyota finally due to the amazing reliability. I test drove the GX and I really liked the way it handled. Plus, GX owners are not lying... it feels solid like a tank. I can't find a Sequoia to even test drive. Plus, every one I have seen listed online are marked up by at least $10,000, even the SR5 or Limited which is what I am looking at.

One thing that about the GX I drove that I really found irritating was when you push up slightly on the turn signal, you only get 1 flash. Most vehicles these days give 3 flashes. Not a big issue, I know, but I am surprised that turn signal is like that. When I mentioned it to the salesperson, they didn't even understand what I was talking about and told me to push the turn signal handle up all the way :confused:. Duh! The salesperson did not have an impressive knowledge about the vehicle.

But anyway, on to my questions.

Is that turn signal flash something that can be programmed?

Am I correct that zero information has been released on the 2024 GX engine? So it could be the same V6 as the LX or it could be a 4-cylinder?

I haven't made my way to the LX forum yet, but does anyone have any insight on how that V6 is performing in the LX?

I am torn between pulling the trigger on a '23 GX with it's tried and true performance and average cabin technology or waiting for a '24 GX which should have updated interior technology. Do you think the interior would resemble the current LX?

Thanks again for sharing!
I drove a new Tundra Platinum with that new twin turbo V6 and I hated it. Poor power band performance (it's not smooth) and bad turbo lag. It felt under powered to be blunt. I'll never get rid of the tried and true 4.6 V8 in my GX.

Tap-to-pass cannot be programmed, unfortunately. It's the dumbest thing about owning this car. My 2006 Volvo had it, no reason for Toyota to not put it on a vehicle in 2023.

Is there a way to determine a vehicle's build date from the window sticker? I know most have a date on the door sill but I forgot to look when I test drove the vehicle.

There was rumor multi blinker flash could be programmed for model year 2020 only but don’t recall an owner reporting they could make it live. It does show up as a customization option in the FSM content.

Also haven’t heard much feedback from ‘22 or ‘23 owners on what they have found for Techstream customization options.

One would want to explore with a newer version of TS than what is included in VM here on Mud.

Last edited:
Is there a way to determine a vehicle's build date from the window sticker? I know most have a date on the door sill but I forgot to look when I test drove the vehicle.
You should be able to punch the VIN into Lexus' Enform website and get the build date, did it for mine when I got it.

check the vin and you can find it
Nothing I have found online says that you can get the build date from a Lexus VIN... only the model year.

You should be able to punch the VIN into Lexus' Enform website and get the build date, did it for mine when I got it.

I don't own the vehicle, so the Enform won't help. At least it doesn't look like it.

I was just curious about the build date to see how long the vehicle was sitting on the dealer's lot.

When I click on the Window Sticker on the dealer's website, there is a watermark on the window sticker that says created 2023-01-17. I am going to just use that date for my negotiations with the dealer.

I'm not sure you can find out day of build without making an inquiry to Lexus Drivers support

When I purchased my '12 back in early '17 I inquired and was told it was built on 2.9.2012 and first owner purchased it on 5.12.2012 out of Lexus El Cajon in California.

Mine showed an MSRP of $63,595 (2023 inflation adjustment $82,866.78)

I imagine that sticker date you have is pretty close to build date.

There was rumor multi blinker flash could be programmed for model year 2020 only but don’t recall an owner reporting they could make it live. It does show up as a customization option in the FSM content.

Also haven’t heard much feedback from ‘22 or ‘23 owners on what they have found for Techstream customization options.

One would want to explore with a newer version of TS than what is included in VM here on Mud.

How much malware am I about to put on my computer?

Running it in a VM is pretty safe.

The TIS in a VM that's been posted here or on club lexus (I can't remember) is older but works on my '17.

You can create an account on lexusdrivers and add a vehicle if you know the VIN and the VIN had not already been claimed by someone else. You don't need to own the car. When I was shopping I did it about 10 times for GXes I was interested inand only one had already been claimed.

The VM here should be fine for 2010-2019 models but 2020+ is likely to have issues. There are some OBD port changes that started with 2020 model as a wire or two were dropped. Example... no longer possible to do a ZPC with a paper clip. This process requires a working Techstream install.

Yeah there's absolutely ransomware and viruses on that. Good thing I don't have anything on this laptop. It's just for games.

unless you're hung-up on having to have a brand new shinny GX and want it now, why not just sit it out and see?
With the way the economy is going, folks may start slowing down on vehicle purchases so there may be some good deals in the future for both new and used.

unless you're hung-up on having to have a brand new shinny GX and want it now, why not just sit it out and see?
With the way the economy is going, folks may start slowing down on vehicle purchases so there may be some good deals in the future for both new and used.

This is a fair enough point, and what may end up happening. I am just trying to gather as much info as possible on these vehicles as I have never owned one before. And since we are coming up on the end of the month I am trying to be comfortable enough in my willingness to purchase a GX if I get a call from a dealer with an offer too good to pass up (which has happened before).

I really like the feel of this GX when driving it and the known reliability of it. On the other hand, I would like a bit better gas mileage and some newer tech but am concerned that the '24 GX is not going to feel as solid as a tank.

But we each have to decide for ourselves....

Reactions: r2m
This is a fair enough point, and what may end up happening. I am just trying to gather as much info as possible on these vehicles as I have never owned one before. And since we are coming up on the end of the month I am trying to be comfortable enough in my willingness to purchase a GX if I get a call from a dealer with an offer too good to pass up (which has happened before).

I really like the feel of this GX when driving it and the known reliability of it. On the other hand, I would like a bit better gas mileage and some newer tech but am concerned that the '24 GX is not going to feel as solid as a tank.

But we each have to decide for ourselves....
FYI that new twin turbo V6 in the Tundra platinum I drove for a week only had +1 MPG overall. So not much if any increase. I wouldn't go in to a next generation GX assuming it'll get better fuel economy because it won't. The amount of time you'll need to use the turbos to accelerate that brick will negate any fuel savings at low RPMs.

FYI that new twin turbo V6 in the Tundra platinum I drove for a week only had +1 MPG overall. So not much if any increase. I wouldn't go in to a next generation GX assuming it'll get better fuel economy because it won't. The amount of time you'll need to use the turbos to accelerate that brick will negate any fuel savings at low RPMs.

I see your point... but will the GX have the same motor as the Tundra or something different? Plus, from the threads I've LX600 threads I've read, they can get up to 23-ish MPG on the highway with their new motor.

I see your point... but will the GX have the same motor as the Tundra or something different? Plus, from the threads I've LX600 threads I've read, they can get up to 23-ish MPG on the highway with their new motor.
The GX will get a detuned version of it. 23 mpg on the highway is ridiculous. The Tundra barely scratched 18 on the highway.

Screen Shot 2023-02-27 at 1.36.49 PM.png

Not my numbers. Docyota's numbers from this thread: Just drove an LX600 F-sport - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/just-drove-an-lx600-f-sport.1279367/page-4.

When you drove the Tundra, did you drive your normal way? Or did you try it out and see what kind of oomph it had? Either way, there is something off with the Tundra/Sequoia. I haven't seen anyone report any significantly better MPGs (and I don't count going from 12 MPGs to 15 MPGs better. That is just bringing the Tundra up to a level that the other trucks have been at for years).

Do I expect a 5 MPG increase for the new GX? No. But there has to be some increase, especially for them to help market the new engine. If there isn't, then what is the purpose? To game the dumb federal regulations? What I do know is that Docyota was able to get that MPG on a trip he took. It just shows its possible. Hell, I have averaged 22 MPG on a couple of long highway trips in my 5.0 V8 F150.

But anyway, I have gotten into the MPGs more than I wanted to because that alone is not a deciding factor for me. When we get a look at the '24 GX and it looks like crap or a dealer gives me a great deal on a '23, I will have no problem pulling the trigger on a '23 with a V8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom