2021 LC200 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Everyone should call out friends and family if they text and drive. Treat them like they are addicted to crack. All phones have a setting now to automatically detect when you start driving and it doesn’t allow anyone to text you. It replies with a message that you are driving. So simple!

I believe the Lexus will be the only future option in the U.S and it will be a v6 hybrid. If I’m a betting man, LC is done by end of 2022

@Eric Sarjeant
I was speaking with a dealer today who said he just returned from a large SE dealer meeting. The message from the Toyota reps was that the 200 is done soon (like one more model year) and then there will a period where there is no LC offered, but Toyota would offer an 'alternative' (no word on what that is). And that a new LC (300) may eventually be offered down the road, but absolutely not a certainty. Do you think this is remotely accurate or just dealer hogwash? I have no idea what goes down during these regional dealer meetings and who from Toyota is communicating these things....

@Eric Sarjeant
I was speaking with a dealer today who said he just returned from a large SE dealer meeting. The message from the Toyota reps was that the 200 is done soon (like one more model year) and then there will a period where there is no LC offered, but Toyota would offer an 'alternative' (no word on what that is). And that a new LC (300) may eventually be offered down the road, but absolutely not a certainty. Do you think this is remotely accurate or just dealer hogwash? I have no idea what goes down during these regional dealer meetings and who from Toyota is communicating these things....

Thank you Eric for the update. I was talking to the owner of my Toyota dealership and his feeling is that used LC's will go up in price around 20% when this happens, not unlike the FJ Cruiser in 2014 when they cancelled it. He personally owns seven LC's dating back to the early days and he says he loves and drives every one of them.

Paul - that was not Eric - but something I heard and wanted to get his input. Let's see what Eric says first.

Thank you Eric for the update. I was talking to the owner of my Toyota dealership and his feeling is that used LC's will go up in price around 20% when this happens, not unlike the FJ Cruiser in 2014 when they cancelled it. He personally owns seven LC's dating back to the early days and he says he loves and drives every one of them.

Someone who owns a Toyota dealership and 7 Land Cruisers is predicting Land Cruisers will go up in value? I'm sure that's an unbiased opinion 😉

It would be interesting to chart 200 values over the past ~5 years and the next 5 years’ to see what happens.

We are a long way from going up in value, but enthusiasts respect for the 200 and the thought it could end of the line, whether it be forever or just the 200 is probably helping sell a few more.

Not sure whether the 20% statement will hold true, if you own a Toyota dealership in the Seattle metro area, I would guess that Land Cruiser appreciation is somewhat irrelevant to your net worth.

Was in the market and then found out that it doesn't have apple car play. We all love our Toyotas. I have a Sequoia and a 4Runner but it is astonishing that Toyota has a 2020 model year $80k vehicle and didn't put car play in to it. Disappointing to say the least.

Was in the market and then found out that it doesn't have apple car play. We all love our Toyotas. I have a Sequoia and a 4Runner but it is astonishing that Toyota has a 2020 model year $80k vehicle and didn't put car play in to it. Disappointing to say the least.

Well, $80k car with FAKE wood is even more astonishing.... :(

Toyota resisted CarPlay and Android Auto because they didn't want Google and Apple to gain ownership of all that valuable data about the drivers. A couple years ago, Toyota finally realized that they were losing sales, changed their mind, and decided to support CarPlay and Android Auto. They have been adding both to all their vehicles, but it is taking time to get to every model. For most models, they didn't add CarPlay and Android Auto until they did a refresh or redesign. This year, they added them to the 4Runner and Taco.

It makes complete sense that Toyota started with the high volume models and the 200 simply isn't a high volume model. I suspect that it will take require a completely new head unit. Rumor has it that the 2021 LC will not have CarPlay or Android Auto. So I'm guessing that Toyota has decided not to invest the required engineering funds on such a low-volume model nearing the end of its production run (prior to redesign). I wish that wasn't the case, but I can understand why Toyota would make that decision, simply due to the economics.

Remember when Land Cruiser threads used to be about aproach/departure angles, ground clearance etc. Now they're about Apple Carplay. 🙄

Yeah! Remember also when you had to walk uphills to and from school?!! Now, they have a bus!

Remember when Land Cruiser threads used to be about aproach/departure angles, ground clearance etc. Now they're about Apple Carplay. 🙄
LOL. I am probably the only one on this board that does not care if my LC has Apple, Google or other network stuff. I can get everything I need/want via the Bluetooth interface.

FFS, if the biggest issue with the current 200 is carplay... :bang: :bang::bang:

haha. The insane amount of plastic on the body, the lack of drivetrain and trim level options, lackluster approach, departure, and break over angles, screens, overly complicated integrated computer systems, automatic everything, and on and on are far more glaring issues with the current 200 series ‘Land Cruiser’

all that is fine for a quickly depreciating luxury vehicle, not for a vehicle that built its reputation on unrelenting reliability and ruggedness. All we have now is a beefed up Sequoia.

haha. The insane amount of plastic on the body, the lack of drivetrain and trim level options, lackluster approach, departure, and break over angles, screens, overly complicated integrated computer systems, automatic everything, and on and on are far more glaring issues with the current 200 series ‘Land Cruiser’

all that is fine for a quickly depreciating luxury vehicle, not for a vehicle that built its reputation on unrelenting reliability and ruggedness. All we have now is a beefed up Sequoia.

Well, if you think steel is better than plastic.........

While true about the angles...but 32 approach, 24 departure, ground clearance of nearly 10” are hardly demerits. Screens? Has that ever been a reliability issue other than the tech being outdated? But even outdated, the screen still works like it is today.

Computer? Sure...but has LC since 2008 ever been known to strand people on side of road?

According to most if not all quality surveys, LC200 reliability has been stellar, easily on par with previous gens.

Benefits of those computers.......more safety (stability control, crash prevention), more capability (CRAWL), etc..

Comfort and safety are paramount for any long trip.

Sorry, between LC200 vs. FJ55/62, for me and my family safety, there is no contest which i would rather own.

Last edited:

If you hate it so much, why are you here?

Well, if you think steel is better than plastic.........

While true about the angles...but 32 approach, 24 departure, ground clearance of nearly 10” are hardly demerits. Screens? Has that ever been a reliability issue other than the tech being outdated? But even outdated, the screen still works like it is today.

Computer? Sure...but has LC since 2008 ever been known to strand people on side of road?

According to most if not all quality surveys, LC200 reliability has been stellar, easily on par with previous gens.

Benefits of those computers.......more safety (stability control, crash prevention), more capability (CRAWL), etc..

Comfort and safety are paramount for any long trip.

Sorry, between LC200 vs. FJ55/62, for me and my family safety, there is no contest which i would rather own.

Where did I mention safety and comfort? All of that is great. The expensive throw away plastic bumper covers that are gigantic do nothing for safety. An overstyled grill does nothing for safety. How about a mechanical locker(s), good tires, no dragging side steps and paying attention to the terrain....as an option? Still safe. Hacky diffusers/spoilers,exhaust tips? Doesn't affect safety. Absolutely the underlying body structure is safer in a collision than a 60 or 80, but again, I never spoke out against safety.

Re: Computers....Not engine management computers, but the integrated and intertwined systems and their 'brains'...radio, climate control, nanny warning systems, tech that will be outdated in 3 years, expensive to work on/dealing with obsolete electronic parts. Backup cams, lane departure, and front collision BS just masks the underlying, continuing to escalate issue of a society that is not properly held responsible for selfish actions that hurt others...but I digress.

Again, if you read, all of that tech, luxury, frivolous stuff is great for a leased car that no one would want to own outside of warranty, but reading that people are getting excited about a 'heritage' badge (not even in the 'heritage' location) , fancy wheels, a cheap Yakima rack, and paint color and then complaining about cell phone integration non sense proves that the marque has lost its way, mojo, and bravado, as a whole.

At least give us the option of a rugged, no non-sense truck. No leather, no auto height control, a normal single DIN radio, mechaical sliders for hot and cold air, manual trans, devoid of screens. You know, the ones Toyota already makes. They are great trucks, but they could be so much better....in Land Cruiser speak.

Not mad, just disappointed.

If you hate it so much, why are you here?

Because I'm a land cruiser fan and an auto enthusiast. I enjoy reading and learning about the good and bad of all car models. I'd like to think that I would want to own a true land cruiser in the future as I upgrade vehicles, but I feel strongly that the marque has lost its way, and Toyota has pandered to the small group of Americans that gets distracted by the next flashy thing. A beefed up sequoia that is packed with all of todays luxury features and is advertised as great to drive on country roads is not how the brand legacy was created. Then they add TRD exhaust tips and spoilers. Then they slap a vintage land cruiser badge on it and say its special. Can't even be bothered to put it in the correct spot. It's like they got Karen the secretary to make the decisions.

At least they got it right for the ROW, so I'll import one I guess.

Where did I mention safety and comfort? All of that is great. The expensive throw away plastic bumper covers that are gigantic do nothing for safety. An overstyled grill does nothing for safety. How about a mechanical locker(s), good tires, no dragging side steps and paying attention to the terrain....as an option? Still safe. Hacky diffusers/spoilers,exhaust tips? Doesn't affect safety. Absolutely the underlying body structure is safer in a collision than a 60 or 80, but again, I never spoke out against safety.

Re: Computers....Not engine management computers, but the integrated and intertwined systems and their 'brains'...radio, climate control, nanny warning systems, tech that will be outdated in 3 years, expensive to work on/dealing with obsolete electronic parts. Backup cams, lane departure, and front collision BS just masks the underlying, continuing to escalate issue of a society that is not properly held responsible for selfish actions that hurt others...but I digress.

Again, if you read, all of that tech, luxury, frivolous stuff is great for a leased car that no one would want to own outside of warranty, but reading that people are getting excited about a 'heritage' badge (not even in the 'heritage' location) , fancy wheels, a cheap Yakima rack, and paint color and then complaining about cell phone integration non sense proves that the marque has lost its way, mojo, and bravado, as a whole.

At least give us the option of a rugged, no non-sense truck. No leather, no auto height control, a normal single DIN radio, mechaical sliders for hot and cold air, manual trans, devoid of screens. You know, the ones Toyota already makes. They are great trucks, but they could be so much better....in Land Cruiser speak.

Not mad, just disappointed.

Actually, bumpers etc are part of the crumple zone.

Mechanical lockers? I assume axle lockers...did FJs of old come with that STANDARD from factory? Honest question.

Because if FJ55/40 etc did not come with axle lockers, then WTF are you talking about?!

We do have a center diff locker.

Given equal tires, equal drivers, and enough space, i would imaging that a STOCK LC 200 can do better off-road than your stock FJ55.

Good tires? So, FJs of old came with BFG MTs straight from factory?

Side steps...well, you CAN actually take it off...shocking i know! And the side steps are higher than bottom of frame. FYI.

Who says that you don't pay attention to terrain? CRAWL actually EMPHASIZES that! 360 camera gives you more eyes than you ever had before.

Spoilers, exhaust tips? Huh?

Sure, electronics do get outdated........but they still function like the day you bought it. It does not suddenly become a brick. WTF?!

And since the electronics on the LC is basically similar to every other Toyota, it can be diagnosed and fixed by any Toyota shop.

Again, there are 2008 LC200s that are still functioning great till this day...even after 200-300,000 miles.

And yes, you digress a lot...into nonsense. As for bringing overseas LC to USA, there are plenty of discussion already. Not feasible given Toyota other vehicles that are already on market.

Because I'm a land cruiser fan and an auto enthusiast. I enjoy reading and learning about the good and bad of all car models. I'd like to think that I would want to own a true land cruiser in the future as I upgrade vehicles, but I feel strongly that the marque has lost its way, and Toyota has pandered to the small group of Americans that gets distracted by the next flashy thing. A beefed up sequoia that is packed with all of todays luxury features and is advertised as great to drive on country roads is not how the brand legacy was created. Then they add TRD exhaust tips and spoilers. Then they slap a vintage land cruiser badge on it and say its special. Can't even be bothered to put it in the correct spot. It's like they got Karen the secretary to make the decisions.

At least they got it right for the ROW, so I'll import one I guess.

Don't you feel you're being a bit disingenuous saying that Toyota has pandered to the small group of Americans that gets distracted by the next flashy thing based on the fact that the US doesn't purchase the majority of the LC's sold? Additionally, I'm hoping you can expand on the "luxury features" beyond leather seating and a few relatively benign items like nav, etc.? I had a suburban 10 years ago that was more luxurious than my '19 LC.

Advertising a vehicle as "great to drive on country roads" is probably more of a marketing response from Toyota by attempting to take a vehicle that is really expensive and not within reach for most, lacking MANY of the features you allude to, and trying to make it more practical and adventurous so that they can sell more of them. That doesn't make them any less capable. I highly doubt showing a family of 5 clamoring around Hells Revenge would hit the demographics necessary to sell enough units to keep them coming to America (yet this forum is full of such examples). You're being a bit tough on Toyota for trying to sell a product that has a VERY limited buying audience. On the other hand, I applaud them for continuing to produce and KEEP the LC going.

Any new iterations of anything are met with objection. In the case of automobiles, with Japanese built Toyotas in particular, I doubt their intent is to water down the brand and lose the marque you mention. It's simply not part of the culture of Toyota in the case of LCs.

Your commentary on aesthetics is subjective.

I've driven a Sequoia...it's not remotely close to the LC.

I can only assume that based on everything you've written, you drive something that offers no frills...a motor and some crank windows, right? ;)

Last edited:
LOL. I am probably the only one on this board that does not care if my LC has Apple, Google or other network stuff. I can get everything I need/want via the Bluetooth interface.

no you're not...I don't even listen to the radio when I drive. I like silence. If they deleted all of it and put in a large space for storage, I'd be happier. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom