2018 Rubithon Wagon Run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well it’s settled. The mini is going to Rubithon.

Ordered a bunch of spare parts and maintenance junk for it tonight.

Thanks guys.

Well it’s settled. The mini is going to Rubithon.

Ordered a bunch of spare parts and maintenance junk for it tonight.

Thanks guys.
You'll be fine. Plenty of mini's/4Runners of that era on the trail. And it's got the right wheels.

:lol:

careful, all these guys will see that empty bed and load you up with boxes of tshirts and raffle prizes...
Sweet rig...love the wheels too.

Things are going well with Rubithon prep. Just a reminder you only have 4 more days to get included in the drawing for an extra Grand Prize Raffle ticket for the month of March.

REGISTRATION – Rubithon

I have not been able to post them yet, but from the looks of the raffle donations received already, this is looking to be a banner year!

Safe wheelin!

Eric

Congrats to Bruce Shoff! He is the winner for the extra Grand Prize Raffle Ticket for the month of March.

What are just a few of the items in that exclusive raffle you ask…

A Stihl chainsaw, a Powertank and a set of Toyo tires.

Now get your registrations in. Here’s the link: REGISTRATION – Rubithon

You have 42 more days to get your registrations in before the $25 late fee starts, so get it done and get those Toyota’s ready for some great summer action at this year’s 30th Annual Rubithon!!!!!

Getting closer...

30124449_1932118470434615_6800331478652562152_n.jpg

(yes...exhaust will be rerouted...)

29790612_1932136573766138_4277351751009696593_n.jpg

Very cool, I see a few people ditching the radius arm setup on their 80’s for 4 link setup so am a bit surprised to see you installing radius arms in your 60, of course flipped over like those folks down under. I can’t wait to see how that works. The keyed arms on top and the bigger diff and spiffy axle are also pretty cool.

Very cool, I see a few people ditching the radius arm setup on their 80’s for 4 link setup so am a bit surprised to see you installing radius arms in your 60, of course flipped over like those folks down under. I can’t wait to see how that works. The keyed arms on top and the bigger diff and spiffy axle are also pretty cool.
Yeah I’m anxious to see how it all works, too. I did consider four linking it but there just isn’t going to be time. If this doesn’t work as well as I would like then I may give that a go.

Yeah I’m anxious to see how it all works, too. I did consider four linking it but there just isn’t going to be time. If this doesn’t work as well as I would like then I may give that a go.
If you like the way the front of an 80 rides then I would think this would be pretty similar. With the flatter (less angled) radius arms, better than an 80 with a 6” lift. Has Georg or Dom figured out a way of widening the bracket at the axle and using longer bolts with spacers in order to prevent binding and free up the arms a bit?

Looks like good progress @MountNGoat . Rear is in, the diff is trivial, the front is coming together. It should be ready soon! Curious what brake master they will use and the rest of the plumbing. It's going to be huge!

If you like the way the front of an 80 rides then I would think this would be pretty similar. With the flatter (less angled) radius arms, better than an 80 with a 6” lift. Has Georg or Dom figured out a way of widening the bracket at the axle and using longer bolts with spacers in order to prevent binding and free up the arms a bit?

We’re talking about it...

I was going to put a cool new sticker on the window.

:doh:

i just degreased my cup holder and re-routed my USB charging cable..I'm good to go.

For those that have done it before, will I need to bring along extra gas? I would say I probably get better gas mileage than the average 80, or at least on par with it. I'll plan on filling up at the closest station to Loon lake, and the same after exiting.

I always bring an extra 5 gallons. There's a lot of idling/slow going and you use more gas than you think.

You'll want to fill up at "Fresh Ponds" which is a Chevron station and store near (a few miles) the turn off of 50 to Ice House. They usually have gas at Ice House itself, but it isn't reliable (call ahead) and it's $$$$ too.

Even from Fresh Pond Trading post to Loon Lake is more than an hour and mostly uphill, so in a wagon, it often takes close to 5 gallons just to get to the trailhead! In my 60, I will often pour in the 5 gallons at Loon, just so it isn't hanging off the back.

Since you are coming from the East you'll be on the 50 headed west from South Lake Tahoe, go past the turn to Ice House Road (also called Crystal Lakes Basin Road), go down to Fresh Ponds, gas up, then stop at the Forest Service station and get a fire permit (which you need to use your camp stove), then Drive up Ice House to the start at Loon Lake. Best to arrive the night before since it's an early start and a long way from anywhere to Loon Lake.

And if you're coming from the Sacramento Direction (west), you'll stop at Fresh Ponds, then the forest service then turn left at Ice House road, and drive up the long ass hill to Loon. There are a couple of turns, but it's easy to find in the light. Not so easy in the dark.

Going straight through from loon to Tahoma, I have never run out. Do a few side trips or backtracking or need to exit the trail through a different route due to an unforeseen emergency, it would be good to have an extra 5 gallons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom