2018, 30'th Anniversary Rubithon, Thursday morning breakfast run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

This is the the official 2018 Rubithon Thursday Breakfast Morning thread. It would be nice to get to know each other a little better before joining up on the trail. This is a good place to ask questions, and get answers.

This will be a traditional Loon entrance to the main Rubicon Trail on June 21st. This unique run has a pre paid private breakfast at the Ice House Resort before we start the trail. The breakfast is scheduled to start at 0800. We ask that we all get there early as in 0700 so that we can do the the tech inspections and insurance paperwork early and be able to hit the road right after breakfast.

There are a few "motel room" cabins at the resort, some RV spots and a tent camping area. The rooms are way rustic but "OK".

I usually fuel up at fresh pond before the turnoff to ice house road. Topping off at ice house is not a bad idea (be prepared to spend $10 a gallon). I will pack a Jerry can just in case, though after topping off at Ice House and driving straight through and exiting at Tahoma I have never needed to dip into a Jerry can.

Our first day's destination will be Buck Island Lake. Friday we will continue on to Rubicon Springs where folks will typically scatter and find a camp spot, Sunday everyone mostly exits up Cadillac Hill, there is a local 4x4 club that provides assistance.

The Rubithon signup page will list mandatory safety and recovery gear that you will need, as well as equipment requirements. If you're running the minimum of 33's and a 2.5" lift, You should have serious armor and a strong passenger to stack rocks.

We will be using 2m Ham for our communications, most likely 146.400. I recommend obtaining a license. I have Baofeng hand held, they are inexpensive. I have a file (chirp) that can be uploaded to the radio which I can share ahead of time. It is very easy if you have a sync cable.

Douglas Huft

My name is Doug, I will be helping Pete get you all through the trail. It looks like we have a mix of Wagons and 40's and Pete's 4Runner this year. I will be traveling with my wife Michelle and our 2 and 1/2 year old daughter Izzy this year (its here second time). I have driven this trail a bunch of times in a both a mini truck and in my 80 series. The 80 I will be driving is setup in a pretty typical fashion with 3" of lift, 35" tires, 4.88 difs., front and rear lockers, all the requisite armor, dents, winch, snorkel, fridge, tools. I do carry specific parts for an 80 series such as a steering box, birfield and all the parts to repair a knuckle/studs (minus the actual knuckle), tie rod ends and a spark plug repair kit (dont ask). If you are driving an 80 and have not reinforced your front swaybar axle bracket, I will encourage you to remove it to prevent catastrophic failure resulting in broken front brake lines (plus the front will articulate better). I will also walk around camp and offer a wrench so that everyone can check their knuckle studs before during and after each day on the trail. I am looking forward to meeting you all on this years trip.

01-slider-test-jpg.1483278

Hello Everyone!

My name is also Pete, I am the Marketing Director for Energy Suspension, we are excited to be sponsoring the event this year! We are currently wrapping up the suspension on my 1991 Cummins 4BT Powered FJ62, formerly known as "Princess." I have been resurrecting the Cruiser from the dead for the last year. (I know, I need to start a build thread! For now you can look it up on Instagram @the_cummins_cruiser). It's been quite a process, the Rubicon will be Princess 2.0's maiden voyage! I have wheeled the trail many times, although never in something the size of a small yaught. My 5 year old daughter and a good friend of mine will be with me.

I am dragging Tyler from RSO Performance with me in his SBC Powered FJ60. This will be his first time on the Rubicon. I'm sure we will put on quite a show!

We will be taking plenty of pictures and video!

Looking forward to being able to be a part of this!
BeD-voLlLbP

This should be a super fun year!!!

I will be joining the Breakfast Run again this year and will be happy to help with any trail breakage, spotting, whatever is needed thanks get everybody thru.

Stoked to see Doug, Pete, the other “Pete”, Tyler, Scott and others on this years run.

We will be in my 40 buggy although my son Garrett and I will be hiking a lot; one of my best friends is flying in from MS for Rubithon. She and her BF will be driving my buggy most of the time.
Not sure if we’ll be able to meet you guys for breakfast at Icehouse but we’ll definitely see you at the trailhead.

Good times ahead.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

Just a reprint of my group email to get started:

This is Pete and I share trail duties with Doug. I drive a mild first generation 4Runner and while by today's standards it is pretty basic, it has many Rubicon's under it's belt. On group runs like this I do prefer taking the easier lines and getting everyone there safely. I am minus one teenager this year thanks to his baseball schedule but I still have Chris and Evan and they are trail veterans especially as spotters and rock stackers.

I should be at Ice House Resort Wednesday evening so that I can be there first thing Thursday morning when we are scheduled to meet. The "run time" is listed as 0800. We ask that we all arrive at the resort at about 0700 so we can do insurance paperwork and vehicle inspections. Breakfast is scheduled for 0800 and we then drive to the Loon Lake staging area to start the run. If you are not at Ice House by the time breakfast is finished we will be moving on. If you are not at Loon Lake by 0900 we will be moving on. If you arrive late and feel comfortable on the trail by yourself feel free to hit the trail and catch up. No harm, no foul!

We plan to camp at Buck Island Lake Thursday night and to me it is the jewel of the trail. I will do everything that I can to get us there early enough to have some down time and a swim before dark. So, if I seem to be getting pushy midday about things like keeping moving and staying in your rigs for short issues just smack me if I go too far. Friday we finish the drive into the springs. At that point the official word is that the group run is complete and we are all on our own for camping. Groups often stay together to camp and I suspect that some of us will do that but it is not required.

As of now we are 12 total rigs and that is an ideal group size. Only 4 of us have not wheeled Rubicon before and that ratio is great too.
Just one tough love reminder that we do take the vehicle requirements seriously. The minimum equipment list is there for a reason and perhaps even more important is that your rig is mechanically sound. Don't be the guy that is still fixing something at Ice House on Thursday morning.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pete Newell
Chris Newell
Evan Manson

This should be a super fun year!!!

x2!

Looking forward to it!

Pete, Doug -
In the info packet mailed out, there's a page for HAM frequencies which are general use. Is there a specific HAM freq or FRS/CB/MURS channel you'll use for local communications for just folks on this run? Just curious so I get my radio sorted out before the trailhead.

x2!

Looking forward to it!

Pete, Doug -
In the info packet mailed out, there's a page for HAM frequencies which are general use. Is there a specific HAM freq or FRS/CB/MURS channel you'll use for local communications for just folks on this run? Just curious so I get my radio sorted out before the trailhead.
Funny you mention that. I’m in the process of sorting out my radio via chirp. I am loading all the recommended repeater and simplex channels that are in the mailer. In addition to those, a bunch of typical simplex channels. I have a simple baefong radio that has dual watch. That means it’s possible to monitor the Rubicon repeater but still communicate to or with FRS walkies. I could throw a few of those into my truck. I don’t believe I can share a chirp file through this forum but I could send it as an attachment to email for those who want it?

HAM nerd stuff alert!
This page lists Repeaters on the Rubicon;
Rubicon Trail Foundation
I have attached a copy of the Nor Cal 2meter plan. It includes a list of simplex frequencies to use for coms within our group. Typically, We would use RubiSPX (444.9875, pl 107.2) so that we can monitor the other groups but talk among ourselves but not hit the repeater. I go to 146.46 or 146.55 for a bit more private simplex communication. The freq.s listed on the chart might be handy to have pre-programmed on your radio.

Attachments

• 2Mchart-20080107.pdf
    105 KB · Views: 190
If you don't have a radio; handheld ham radios are dirt cheap. Radio, programing cable and upgraded antenna for less than a tank of gas. https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R-Dual-Radio-Black/dp/B007H4VT7A. Programming is easy if you have a computer using a free program. Home - CHIRP. If you need a copy of a chirp file to load in to your radio for the Rubithon, contact me via email and I can send it to you as an attachment.

Last edited:
I'll bring an extra UV-5R as a back-up/loaner if someone needs it. Will hit you up via email to get the chirp file once you're finished. Thanks!

3F74CB72-A1D8-4FA4-B65A-FBD0BA94F48B.jpeg
Hello all, my name is Ron . I am looking forward to the breakfast run and camping at buck Island. I will be bringing my son and his fiancée along in our fj40 that’s been under construction for awhile now and can’t wait to see what it’s capable of.

View attachment 1718609 Hello all, my name is Ron . I am looking forward to the breakfast run and camping at buck Island. I will be bringing my son and his fiancée along in our fj40 that’s been under construction for awhile now and can’t wait to see what it’s capable of.
Looks like some serious meats on your 40, Hard to tell what size because of those fenders. Is that an original jump seat I spy in the back? I assume the roll cage/bar is still a work in progress?

Last edited:
Looks like some serious meats on your 40, Hard to tell what size because of those fenders. Is that an original jump seat I spy in the back? I assume the roll cage/bar is still a work in progress?
The roll cage was finished up Wednesday and I haven’t had a chance to take a current picture. The tires are nitto trail grapplers 40x13.50x17 on racelines. The jumpseats are 72’s but cut down. 10” stretch in the rear wheel well for clearance. Cummins 4bt, zf5 5-speed, atlas 3.8, d60hp, 14 bolt. Planning on going up to maybe hell hole the Saturday before the trip starts to give it a shake down run if anyone wants some extra wheeling in lol

The roll cage was finished up Wednesday and I haven’t had a chance to take a current picture. The tires are nitto trail grapplers 40x13.50x17 on racelines. The jumpseats are 72’s but cut down. 10” stretch in the rear wheel well for clearance. Cummins 4bt, zf5 5-speed, atlas 3.8, d60hp, 14 bolt. Planning on going up to maybe hell hole the Saturday before the trip starts to give it a shake down run if anyone wants some extra wheeling in lol
Sounds like it should get the job done.:bounce:

Hey everybody,
My name is Sheila. I'm the person honored enough to be called one of Georg's best friends that he mentioned is flying in from Mississippi. :cheers: My BF, Tony, and I are flying in Wednesday to SAC and will be looking forward to meeting all of you either at breakfast Thursday or along the trail. We could not be more excited about the opportunity to be part of this year's run! I'm already familiar with the hospitality but I'm told I'm not fully prepared for the beauty that awaits! The count down begins!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom