2016+ re-gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A10Driver

SILVER Star
Threads
Has anybody re-geared a 2016+? I personally don't like how it hunts for gears and double down shifts trying to pass/ accelerate. I find myself shifting to sports mode and limiting it to 7th. Rpm is a little over 2000 at 80mph and truck is way more responsive. Understand in the six speed 4.88 has been done a bunch. Curious about the 8 speed. Thanks for the help

I have 4.88s on my 2016 and it's probably been one of my favorite modifications. I wouldn't say it solves the gear hunting, though.

There was some thread where folks who know more about gearing than I do said that 4.33s (or something like that) would be better for the 8-speed but I don't recall much additional information. That discussion came up after I'd done the 4.88s so I didn't pay too much attention :)

I have 4.88s on my 2016 and it's probably been one of my favorite modifications. I wouldn't say it solves the gear hunting, though.

There was some thread where folks who know more about gearing than I do said that 4.33s (or something like that) would be better for the 8-speed but I don't recall much additional information. That discussion came up after I'd done the 4.88s so I didn't pay too much attention :)
What tire size u running? And what's your rpm at 80 mph?

What tire size u running? And what's your rpm at 80 mph?

I'm running Nitto Ridge Grapplers 285/70r18 that measure about 33.6-33.8". I'll have to get back to you on the 80mph RPM... I'm thinking 2700 or so but I'm really just guessing.

I'll be regearing to 4.33s when I get front and rear lockers. TBD.

80 mph on flat ground is 2750 rpm. Took me a while to get far enough away from traffic to do 80.
Old thread, I know... How do you know you were going 80? Is there a programmer available for 200’s that fixes the speedo/odo error or are you relying on GPS?

Old thread, I know... How do you know you were going 80? Is there a programmer available for 200’s that fixes the speedo/odo error or are you relying on GPS?

Probably using the Waze app or just adjusting the speed in my head.

Last edited:
I have that app. On Jeep, GM and others there’s programmers that compensate the speedometer for gearing and different size tires etc. I was wondering if the 200 had a similar option.

Last edited:
I have that app. On Jeep, GM and others there’s programmers that compensate the speedometer for gearing and different size tires etc. I was wondering if the 200 had a similar option.

So far nothing for 200s.

Maybe see whether modern 4runners have something? Possible it could be adapted

I’m loving my LX. For me staying in the 33” class tire with 4.3 gears would be great. I drive in S5 mostly now. That’s why I was asking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom