2016 LX Prinsu Roof Rack Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

To be clear...there is no non-destructive way to remove the factory rack without lowering the headliner. The eBay link part goes on from the underside.

Understood. Just glad that after I drop the headliner once, and I ‘install’ those brackets from the underside, my LX will “look like” an LC from above.

I can’t afford a Prinsu rack right now but have an LC rack that I plan to install. A ways down the road I may want to get an aftermarket rack and will be glad that these brackets will already be in place.

Just curious, how many folks that have through this painful install actually use these roof racks? I ask because several of my coworkers have put aftermarket roof racks on their 4Runners and never use them, purely for show.

Is it worth the trouble and expense of the install?
I've only had my rack on for about 3 weeks or so. I've got some trips planned in which I know it will come in handy to have the extra carrying capacity. I'm sure they'll be periods of time when it doesn't get used, but it's nice knowing it's there and ready when I need it.

Just curious, how many folks that have through this painful install actually use these roof racks? I ask because several of my coworkers have put aftermarket roof racks on their 4Runners and never use them, purely for show.

Is it worth the trouble and expense of the install?
Good question. I just did 5 national parks out west from florida and we have an off-road teardrop. It was nice to have but I really could have done without because of the trailer. I will also say that having removed the factory bars I now know they are beefy! I think in hindsight I would find a good crossbar set up OR rack that can utilize the factory bars. In any event it is nice to have.

I don't have an aftermarket rack, but do have additional crossbars on the factory rack (5 total). We use the roof rack regularly, either alone (long lumber, Christmas trees, ladders, etc.), with a Thule crossbar (kayaks, canoes, etc.) or when we need additional space with a large Thule aero roof box (camping, road trips, vacations, etc.). I could imagine using an aftermarket rack the same way, but this has worked for us, without the expense of a fancier rack system.

Understood. Just glad that after I drop the headliner once, and I ‘install’ those brackets from the underside, my LX will “look like” an LC from above.

I can’t afford a Prinsu rack right now but have an LC rack that I plan to install. A ways down the road I may want to get an aftermarket rack and will be glad that these brackets will already be in place.
If you do order those brackets, check a parts guide, because there is also a clip that holds it in place. Without the clip the bracket would just fall into the headliner, and you have to drop it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom