2016 Christmas Tree Cutting Patrol (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We'll be up Sunday the 4th to get a tree, and I'll be up one day next weekend to patrol.

Andrew and Dillon pulled out a truck on 300 V and a Suburban on 300 U. Tom and I out put out a smoldering log someone left near a camp. Mostly a quiet day, slick in a few spots. It was nice to see two new faces out there, Tom and Dillon.

Sunday, 4 December: six of us split into two groups. One group north, one group south. Moderate traffic, the north group pulled an Expedition from a ditch on 323. I think the south group had one assist, too.

Forest Service expects some snow this week, so next weekend might be a little more sporty.

Any reports from today?
Andrew and Dillon pulled out a truck on 300 V and a Suburban on 300 U. Tom and I out put out a smoldering log someone left near a camp. Mostly a quiet day, slick in a few spots. It was nice to see two new faces out there, Tom and Dillon.

Yep. Dillon and I patrolled the south end of the cutting area starting with 315 and some of the dead-end trails north of it. We drove down 300U as far as there were tire tracks, and then we turned around and drove to 300V. We followed some tracks quite a ways in until we encountered the glacier that forms each year, and a full-size Dodge truck that had slid off the trail from the ice. We talked with the owner and his wife and made plans to winch him back onto the trail. We set a redirect using a tree on the uphill side of the trail and attached the winch to his front wheel using a tree-saver strap. he had no front recovery points. Anyway, after getting the front end of the truck back on the trail and deflating his tires, he was able to get going again. Sorry, no pictures of the recovery in progress, but here is a shot of my truck after the pull. winching his heavy truck pulled my truck about 2 feet up the hill.
after pull.jpg

The driver of the red truck did not want to cross the glacier again, so we decided to follow him out through 300U. He did stop to get a tree near the bottom of 300V, also. On the way out of 300U, we encountered a suburban pretty far off the trail, trying to climb back up a steep hill, but only ending up farther and farther down hill. It took a minute to talk him into taking some help. We strung up 2 snatch straps and he just needed a quick pull to get the suburban moving up the hill again.
suburban.jpg

We met Tom and Leon at the intersection of 300U and 300 and ate lunch. After that, I went back down 300U to get myself a Christmas tree.
with tree.jpg

On my way out, I saw this guy...
luke.jpg

Back in Springs, I also saw a couple bringing home their fresh-cut tree in a very clean looking 60. I didn't get to say hi, but hopefully some of you got to chat with them and invite them to join the club.
60.jpg

bonus points for getting the built 1st gen in the background :)

If anyone has photos from either Saturday or Sunday, please feel free to add them to the Facebook thread, and I will post on the club FB page. It would be good to show the club volunteering for this event.

Tom and I out put out a smoldering log someone left near a camp.

If you haven't already please report the "soldering log" to the forestry. 719.636.1602. Please provide them with as much info as possible. Time, date, location (exact as possible), was it in a fire ring or not. Campfires, or smoldering logs, not in fire rings are considered wild fires.

The Pike and San Isabel forests are currently in burn restrictions, so ANY campfire is illegal and needs to get reported especially if it was left unattended.

Luke, Rodney and I patrolled the south end yesterday. No real issues. Nobody down 300V...we turned around at the glacier to come back out. We did help a couple guys that locked their keys in their van. Luke said it was the third time he's used his antenna to fix that kind of situation. We also got reports of a car stuck on 322, but it was out by the time we got there. Not sure about the north end...

Ran into Kyle, Luke & Rodney on our way out of 300U after getting a tree, took their advice to stay off of 300V. Jenny really likes the color on your 40 Kyle - she wants to paint mine that color when I get around to working on it. Not sure I want to go that far for a full color change just yet.

If you haven't already please report the "soldering log" to the forestry. 719.636.1602. Please provide them with as much info as possible. Time, date, location (exact as possible), was it in a fire ring or not. Campfires, or smoldering logs, not in fire rings are considered wild fires.

The Pike and San Isabel forests are currently in burn restrictions, so ANY campfire is illegal and needs to get reported especially if it was left unattended.

We told Jon Pfifer that day.

Sunday Trip Report: Ryan, Tracy, Lydia and David M. in 3 trucks took the North end. Headed North and went down 323 to the one way sign, road was snow packed but good traction . Hung out at entrance to 325 for coffee break, loaned out a saw to a couple whose son left it "somewhere". Continued on to 300 C stopped and got saw back, heard gunshots to the north east. Drove down 327 a couple of miles stopped at the end of fresh tracks. Heard gunshots to the south. called Pfieffer on the radio and described location. Drove to the West end of 351 and stopped for lunch. Drove back to 323 and Lydia tugged out an Expedition that had got sucked into a ditch. Continued out 324 then back To 300 C to get a tree. Confirmed the location of a bonfire near 300G West of 300 for Pfieffer. Headed South and heard gunshots Soutwest of 300 and 968, called Pfieffer. Turned in radio and signs 5:15. Aired up at FS work center. Total miles 131.

David M.

View attachment 1363474 Forgot to put up this shot of the glacier on 300v. It's so bad, I was having trouble walking/standing on it.

Yep. We tossed those logs across hoping others would stop first. The big black streak is where I winches the front of the Dodge back up. Fell on my ass a couple times.

Looks like I'll be up on Sunday.

Reactions: SAS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom