2016-2021 LC Maintenance Estimates (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,

Looking to get into my first LC in the next 30-90 days (depending on if/when I can find the "one"), and I've searched this forum for annual maintenance costs, and I haven't quite been aggregated enough info on what operating one for about 5000-10000 miles annually. I have other vehicles, so this won't be a daily driver but a long-term off-road project SUV.

I know that 2016-2017 LC's have a few more issues (steering wheel trim and radiator) than the 2018+, but for my budget of 45-55K, I can't find any 2018s. Are cam tower leaks on the 5.7 still somewhat common on 2nd facelift models? And how often do brakes, tires, and other regular maintenance items typically last on these cars? It is surprising to me how little the Toyota maintenance calendar calls, especially compared to a 100 series, in the first 150K of life. I know a lot of fuel is required to operate these rigs but thankfully they do take 87.

And there are any other issues that I should be aware of? I'm just trying to get a ballpark on routine maintenance items and how often I should expect to replace them. Thank you in advance.

Grand generalizations here . . .
Consider $2 to $4k for the initial baseline stuff.
The yearly maintenance is pretty low, the typical wear items tend to go for a long while as long as you stick with OEM stuff, and thinks like rotors pads etc are reasonable in price.
Introducing aftermarket and/or performance stuff even if high quality will increase the maintenance needs over OEM.

Grand generalizations here . . .
Consider $2 to $4k for the initial baseline stuff.
The yearly maintenance is pretty low, the typical wear items tend to go for a long while as long as you stick with OEM stuff, and thinks like rotors pads etc are reasonable in price.
Introducing aftermarket and/or performance stuff even if high quality will increase the maintenance needs over OEM.
How long do Brakes and Tires last on stock rigs? 20-30K miles?

How long do Brakes and Tires last on stock rigs? 20-30K miles?
I just changed my brakes at 88,000 miles, and others have observed similar lifespan.

Hey I know this doesn't really answer your question, but I recently just got my first LC 2015 5.7 as my first car, and the biggest expenses I've had are not inspecting the car properly and having to do quite a few costly repairs 😅.
So just make sure the car was well maintained and everything is in order and look at the maintenance history of the car if possible. Which would also kind of give you an idea on the running costs.
(Sorry off topic a little, but hopefully it helps)

Hey I know this doesn't really answer your question, but I recently just got my first LC 2015 5.7 as my first car, and the biggest expenses I've had are not inspecting the car properly and having to do quite a few costly repairs 😅.
So just make sure the car was well maintained and everything is in order and look at the maintenance history of the car if possible. Which would also kind of give you an idea on the running costs.
(Sorry off topic a little, but hopefully it helps)
Excellent advice for minimizing both initial costs and long term costs.

Find a well-cared for LC and do a thorough PPI and the running costs, other than gas, are a couple hundred a year for 5-10K miles. Brakes and tires will depend on driving style and use case. Do your own maintenance with parts from an online discount dealer and you'll really minimize cost. Check carefully for coolant leaks, water intrusion, HVAC fresh/recirc operation, KDSS shutter valve operation, and diff lock/4lo operation. Lots of threads on here about pre-purchase inspections.

I think the key here is having a reliable mechanic that can do good work at an affordable price. I bought my 2013 and other than desired costs such as installing suspension spacers and a lot of armor, my maintenance costs have been minimal. I bought it with 75k miles and immediately did an AHC fluid flush along with all other fluids and that was all. I have done the brakes around 135k miles but about half of those miles we’re pulling a ~4500 lbs trailer. Obviously costs vary based on the life the truck has lived, but my costs have been extremely minimal beyond desired cost such a upgrades like I mentioned. If you do your homework and get a solid truck, your expenses should be relatively minimal.

I saw in one of the scotty kilmer youtube videos talking about the cost of maintaining luxury cars. LX570 was pretty good in the scale at 7.6% of the original (new) purchase price spent on average for repair and maintenance in the first 10 years of ownership. I think the real question is the maintenance cost during years 11-20 as a percentage of the used purchase price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom