2015 GX460 built for the rocks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A couple years ago, I was crossing Pearl Pass in Colorado in my 04 Land Rover Disco *welp* and we pulled off to the side to allow a group headed uphill to pass. 3 lifted GX’s powered past (the last one rocking a gxor decal), climbing the rocks with ease. I was smitten with the idea of a super capable off road vehicle that I could shuttle my family across the 10hr drive from KC to the mountains, so I can show them the amazing places I have seen on the trails. I cant get them in the Disco for a trip to the store, and also always have an imminent risk of a breakdown in that thing.

I did my homework and committed to building one with no compromises. I decided on a clean 1 owner 2015 with about 90k from a private seller with all dealer service history. Bonus it had the ML soundsystem and the Luxury Pkg.

I dont have the tools or garage clearance to do most of the work myself, so I partnered with Michael Fuller @ www.adventure-motors.com to have his crew handle the freight and install. Cant say enough good stuff about this company!

Here is the list of modifications we have completed so far, and theres a lot more coming. Ill keep this updated as we progress and report back on some of the trips / trails we’ve done.

17x9.5 Method 701s
285/70 E Nitto Ridge Grapplers
Ironman FCP 3” lift w/ UCAs
MetalTech Tigershark stage 3 bumper
Smittybilt X2O winch
RCI sliders
RCI full skid set
JW spare tire carrier
JW roof rack
JW molle panel w/ Rotopax
OVS 270 awning
ROAM 95l
Chrome delete & ceramic coat
Dobinsons Drawers
Victory interior molle panels
Middle seat delete / sleeping platform
Switchpros 9100
RAM mount w/ iPad

68FC83D3-A8B4-4F67-99CC-B82CC4DA71C1.jpeg

F6B63F92-C07B-4914-8315-99CECCA0AFC2.jpeg

73F8DBC7-3C4B-4A92-ACCE-A0C3A6624995.jpeg

0500B1D1-DCC8-4480-B2EB-105127306DA3.jpeg

17E2F59A-299D-4991-80C0-974D71809ECC.jpeg

A couple years ago, I was crossing Pearl Pass in Colorado in my 04 Land Rover Disco *welp* and we pulled off to the side to allow a group headed uphill to pass. 3 lifted GX’s powered past (the last one rocking a gxor decal), climbing the rocks with ease. I was smitten with the idea of a super capable off road vehicle that I could shuttle my family across the 10hr drive from KC to the mountains, so I can show them the amazing places I have seen on the trails. I cant get them in the Disco for a trip to the store, and also always have an imminent risk of a breakdown in that thing.

I did my homework and committed to building one with no compromises. I decided on a clean 1 owner 2015 with about 90k from a private seller with all dealer service history. Bonus it had the ML soundsystem and the Luxury Pkg.

I dont have the tools or garage clearance to do most of the work myself, so I partnered with Michael Fuller @ www.adventure-motors.com to have his crew handle the freight and install. Cant say enough good stuff about this company!

Here is the list of modifications we have completed so far, and theres a lot more coming. Ill keep this updated as we progress and report back on some of the trips / trails we’ve done.

17x9.5 Method 701s
285/70 E Nitto Ridge Grapplers
Ironman FCP 3” lift w/ UCAs
MetalTech Tigershark stage 3 bumper
Smittybilt X2O winch
RCI sliders
RCI full skid set
JW spare tire carrier
JW roof rack
JW molle panel w/ Rotopax
OVS 270 awning
ROAM 95l
Chrome delete & ceramic coat
Dobinsons Drawers
Victory interior molle panels
Middle seat delete / sleeping platform
Switchpros 9100
RAM mount w/ iPad

View attachment 2637854

View attachment 2637855

View attachment 2637856

View attachment 2637858

View attachment 2637860

That rig is awesome. You gonna trim the rear bumper or get a metal replacement?

What a slow start to a build, geez :rofl:.
Looks great. We have a 2015 ourselves. Only Dobinson lift, SPC UCA's, Black Rhinos and Toyo AT#'s so far.

Wow! Now that's a worthy rig of most any trail! 👍

Awesome. I have a black '16 and plan to follow a very similar build path. Can you post some more info on those Dobinsons drawers?

Well-equipped build. Looks like you're running a hitch skid in the last photo? Can you share more information on that?
I just ordered it off amazon on a whim right before we left for Moab. Saved my rear bumper from getting ripped off several times

Awesome. I have a black '16 and plan to follow a very similar build path. Can you post some more info on those Dobinsons drawers?
They are awesome. Very heavy duty, drawers have a nice positive thud when they close. Fridge slideout works great. Only gripe was the cost - a little over $1300 + $300 freight + paid 4 hours for install. Apparently it was a pain. The unit arrived completely assembled and had to be almost totally disassembled and reassembled to install.

They are awesome. Very heavy duty, drawers have a nice positive thud when they close. Fridge slideout works great. Only gripe was the cost - a little over $1300 + $300 freight + paid 4 hours for install. Apparently it was a pain. The unit arrived completely assembled and had to be almost totally disassembled and reassembled to install.

Hmmm, sounds like I may need to cobble together something myself and save me the $$. That's almost like what $2k total?

Reactions: r2m
I suppose. But if I wanted to save money Id have never started this at all...

I more was saying I'd rather spend the $$ somewhere else. That's all. :) The money is gettin spent that's for sure.

A few action shots from my recent Utah trip. Ran Tower Arch, Long Canyon, Top of the World, Hells Revenge, LaSalle Loop, CO River Overlook, Elephant Hill, Beef Basin

View attachment 2638681

View attachment 2638683

View attachment 2638684

View attachment 2638685

View attachment 2638686

That's awesome. I have a question, do you run in to any issues with the factory rear bumper when you are running through trails like these? Looking at a couple of your pics I didn't see any indication or evidence of bumping or rubbing.

That's awesome. I have a question, do you run in to any issues with the factory rear bumper when you are running through trails like these? Looking at a couple of your pics I didn't see any indication or evidence of bumping or rubbing.
Hows this? The bottom of both sides is beat to hell. Also smashed the factory muffler pretty bad. Installing a different exhaust next week. Might do a bumper cut too

6635F0DE-EED0-4335-8774-6342004F4B36.jpeg

Heh, those Moab ledges will test your departure angles for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom